Concertinists – Next Generation.

PeterT

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She plays at 2:43. How old is she- about 7 perhaps? The Killavel jig, up to tempo! With perfect technique, on a vintage Jeffries that sounds great. Ah, but she's a Rowsome, a grand old musical family, so the music leaked onto her. Does this argue for talent?

Her wee sister said that herself plays the cello and I was thankful that she didn't reel off an unaccompanied Bach sonata. That would really have ruined my day.

She plays at 2:43. How old is she- about 7 perhaps? The Killavel jig, up to tempo! With perfect technique, on a vintage Jeffries that sounds great. Ah, but she's a Rowsome, a grand old musical family, so the music leaked onto her. Does this argue for talent?

Her wee sister said that herself plays the cello and I was thankful that she didn't reel off an unaccompanied Bach sonata. That would really have ruined my day.

Ha!!! I've just posted a topic in the Video forum. Professional by late teens?

Thanks, David. I'm hoping for more suggestions from Ireland.

just wondering....What criteria makes someone a professional rather than an amateur?

I suggested the "loosest" terminology.

In my book, that is earning money from performing/teaching, in whatever category. Now; it could be full-time, or just part-time, but as a result of a contract between a hirer and a performer.

Also; we need to consider busking, where I guess that it is an informal contract between the performer and the passing public. Good buskers can make a good living. Leaving aside age, for the moment, the late Paul Davies paid for his house from the proceeds of his busking.

Others, or course, may have different views as to what constitutes a professional.

Also; we need to consider busking, where I guess that it is an informal contract between the performer and the passing public. Good buskers can make a good living. Leaving aside age, for the moment, the late Paul Davies paid for his house from the proceeds of his busking.

Going a little off tangent here but I always wondered in the UK whether you have to ask permission/get a licence to busk. Coz there is always loads down the high street.

Going a little off tangent here but I always wondered in the UK whether you have to ask permission/get a licence to busk. Coz there is always loads down the high street.

I like tangents!

This link should answer your question:

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/busking_links.html

In summary, it varies from town to town.

Colm Delaney, Edel Fox & Niamh Ni Charra just to name three young, outstanding, Irish professional or semi professional concertina players. Certainly under 30. The last two recorded already, the first (Colm) is a Dublin based student and recorded a CD with a fiddle player (young, blond and the name escapes me now), but unfortunately due to production problems this CD never was released. So he remains relatively unknown at the moment.

I think there are many young people playing the concertina in Ireland. Perhaps not professional but I met quite a few in sessions. Furthermore I remember Peter Laban telling there are loads in his area.

So Anglo's will remain expensive, but in about 25 years we will be flooded with EC's! Good for me, although I will be 74 by then (if still alive) :( - probably I will not benefit at all :ph34r:

Seems there is an aging problem in England/Scotland, the US I don't know.....

Edited by chiton1

The recent threads by LDT and Ptarmigan set me thinking. The demographics of this forum are as I expected, with many players being 50 (ish). Where are the young players? Are they out performing, or simply not there?

So; in this thread, here is the information for which I am looking:

Professional players aged up to 30. They can be playing concerts, clubs, festivals, or teaching at residential events. Performing either solo, or in groups, using concertina. I’ll accept multi-instrumentalists, too. The key thing is that they are current performers, under the loosest terming of “professional”.

I believe that, as a community, C.net should be promoting our young professional players, as this generation will be in the forefront of continued success for the concertina, otherwise there will be a lot of cheap instruments available in about in 25 years time!

The information will be a “snapshot”, and may be useful to anyone seeking to book these younger performers.

So; can I ask for the following information, please?

Name

Concertina system(s) played

Type(s) of music played

Country or area in which based/performing

Link to website, if known

I’d hope that we might have most of the information available by late December.

Thanks,

Peter.

I don't know where many young professionals are, but I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne. (Not sure if I'm classed as pro either!). I came from Hastings to Newcastle for the Folk Degree.

I play Anglo concertina only (and melodeon) and have a G/D C/G and D/A concertina.#

I'm heavily into english country dance music, and some irish (though I mainly play that on melodeon). Recently I have got into ragtime stuff that Vic Gammon has been teaching me.

I perform all over the country in the summer- Sidmouth, Broadstairs and sometimes Whitby folkweeks. Anywhere where you see Newcastle Kingsmen you'lll find me and a squeezebox, and the pubs, clubs and Universit of Newcastle, which is where I'm sat typing this.

Haven't got a website but my myspace is www.myspace.com/pipandjo

The recent threads by LDT and Ptarmigan set me thinking. The demographics of this forum are as I expected, with many players being 50 (ish). Where are the young players? Are they out performing, or simply not there?

So; in this thread, here is the information for which I am looking:

Professional players aged up to 30. They can be playing concerts, clubs, festivals, or teaching at residential events. Performing either solo, or in groups, using concertina. I’ll accept multi-instrumentalists, too. The key thing is that they are current performers, under the loosest terming of “professional”.

I believe that, as a community, C.net should be promoting our young professional players, as this generation will be in the forefront of continued success for the concertina, otherwise there will be a lot of cheap instruments available in about in 25 years time!

The information will be a “snapshot”, and may be useful to anyone seeking to book these younger performers.

So; can I ask for the following information, please?

Name

Concertina system(s) played

Type(s) of music played

Country or area in which based/performing

Link to website, if known

I’d hope that we might have most of the information available by late December.

Thanks,

Peter.

I don't know where many young professionals are, but I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne. (Not sure if I'm classed as pro either!). I'm 21 and I came from Hastings to Newcastle for the Folk Degree.

I play Anglo concertina only (and melodeon) and have a G/D C/G and D/A concertina.#

I'm heavily into english country dance music, and some irish (though I mainly play that on melodeon). Recently I have got into ragtime stuff that Vic Gammon has been teaching me.

I perform all over the country in the summer- Sidmouth, Broadstairs and sometimes Whitby folkweeks. Anywhere where you see Newcastle Kingsmen you'lll find me and a squeezebox, and the pubs, clubs and Universit of Newcastle, which is where I'm sat typing this.

Edited by pipives

I don't know where many young professionals are, but I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne. (Not sure if I'm classed as pro either!). I came from Hastings to Newcastle for the Folk Degree.

Hi Pip,

Under 30? Oh goody; thanks for posting!

Regards,

Peter.

Guest Peter Laban

There are loads of young players in ireland. I don't know about professional but teaching and gigging and playing out.

I suppose Hugh Healy, Jack Talty, Aoife Kelly and all those fit in the older young segment but there's a new load, late teens and early twenties in place alread, there, Katie O Sullivan and Lorraine O Brien is lovely for example. Loads and loads more ofcourse.

Hugh Healy:

Willie37HughH.jpg

Aoife Kelly

Willie40AoifeK.jpg

Katie O Sullivan:

Willie36KatieOS.jpg

Lorraine O Brien:

Willie38LoraineOB.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

Colm Delaney, Edel Fox & Niamh Ni Charra just to name three young, outstanding, Irish professional or semi professional concertina players. Certainly under 30. The last two recorded already, the first (Colm) is a Dublin based student and recorded a CD with a fiddle player (young, blond and the name escapes me now), but unfortunately due to production problems this CD never was released. So he remains relatively unknown at the moment.

I think there are many young people playing the concertina in Ireland. Perhaps not professional but I met quite a few in sessions. Furthermore I remember Peter Laban telling there are loads in his area.

So Anglo's will remain expensive, but in about 25 years we will be flooded with EC's! Good for me, although I will be 74 by then (if still alive) :( - probably I will not benefit at all :ph34r:

Seems there is an aging problem in England/Scotland, the US I don't know.....

Cheers; chiton1.

Colm:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=154822233

Edel:

http://www.edelandronan.com/index.php?modu...;MMN_position=6

Niamh:

http://www.niamhnicharra.com/

I like tangents!

This link should answer your question:

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/busking_links.html

In summary, it varies from town to town.

LDT and Peter,

On a lovely summer day in Stuttgart's attractive shopping thoroughfare, the buskers were out in numbers, and I remembered that I'd always wanted to try it. Just as the question "Do I need a permit" entered my head, I saw a stationary Police car with a bored-looking occupant. So I asked him. He said he hadn't a clue - I should ask at the Town Hall.

This was encouraging - if the Police don't know the rules, they're not going to put anybody in gaol, are they? :lol:

Back home, I surfed the Town Hall website, and came up with an example of typical German thoroughness: a PDF file with a plan of the city centre with red dots at the places where busking was allowed. They were at the points that one would have chosen anyway. No explicit permit required.

There were a few clear, simple rules. Start on the hour, play for up to half an hour, then move to another red dot, where you can start again on the next hour. No groups of more than three musicians. No electronic amplification. No "loud" instruments (not explicitly specified). No offensive behaviour.

All very reasonable rules that would in no way cramp a concertinist's style.

So, the following weekend, the weather continuing fine and summery, I took my Anglo on an outing to Stuttgart. I broke even. One half-hour session brought enough money to pay the parking fee and the couple of litres of petrol it took to get there and back.

And it was interesting to see the reactions of the passers-by. Sometimes eye contact, sometimes an interested question. Sometimes just an added spring in their step as they passed by.

And, as you may imagine, the money that each threw into my case was in no relation to the apparent affluence or otherwise of the donor ;)

The Euro from the young chap with the guitar case was especially valuable. :rolleyes:

It's fun, LDT - keep practising! :lol:

Cheers,

John