Small Size 32-Key Lachenal Anglo

david robertson

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A 30-KEY, NOT 32, but I can't find a way to amend the headline!

The standard rosewood Lachenal is about 6.25" across the ends. But that nice Mr Lachenal recognised that for some people - women, children, or men with small hands - this might mean a bit of a stretch for the further reaches of the dusty row. So his solution was to make just a few of them about half an inch smaller. (Cunning, these Swiss!)

You don't see these small ones very often, and this one, coincidentally, has been living in a Swiss museum for the last 12 years. Newly released from captivity, it has now been the subject of a light restoration - new pads and valves, refinished woodwork, and tuning to modern concert pitch. I have also followed my usual practice of bushing the ends to keep the action smooth and quiet.

It has clearly not had a hard life: the ends were undamaged, the original bellows are still in excellent condition, and even the straps are fine. Sadly, its original case is missing, so it now lives in a rather tatty but serviceable mahogany one.

I'm looking for £1850, with the usual donation to c.net if sold through this forum.

Edited by david robertson

The standard 32-key rosewood Lachenal is about 6.25" across the ends. But that nice Mr Lachenal recognised that for some people - women, children, or men with small hands - this might mean a bit of a stretch for the further reaches of the dusty row. So his solution was to make just a few of them about half an inch smaller.

So is the spacing between buttons also less than standard?

The standard 32-key rosewood Lachenal is about 6.25" across the ends. But that nice Mr Lachenal recognised that for some people - women, children, or men with small hands - this might mean a bit of a stretch for the further reaches of the dusty row. So his solution was to make just a few of them about half an inch smaller.

So is the spacing between buttons also less than standard?

No, in fact the spacing is still the standard ⅝" centres.

David,

Is it just my failing eyesight, or is the "32-key" designation a typo? In the photos, I can only see 30 keys + air-valve ...

Lovely-looking instrument, even so!

Cheers,

John

My apologies - I was confusing it with another 32-key that I'm working on! Unfortunately, there seems to be no way of editing the headline.

Do you find this instrument noticeably lighter than a standard size? (I've never taken one apart - I probably believe the wood makes more of the weight than it really does.)

Do you find this instrument noticeably lighter than a standard size? (I've never taken one apart - I probably believe the wood makes more of the weight than it really does.)

Since I bow to no one in the idle curiosity department, I weighed it: 1.006kg. I then weighed a normal size rosewood Lachenal (unfortunately, a 32-key, since I don't have a 30 to hand) which comes in at 1.089kg. Scouring the darker recesses of memory for the way to work out percentages, I figure this is a little over 8% heavier. Allow a little for four extra reeds and two each of pivot posts, levers, pads and buttons, and I reckon we're looking at a difference of 5 or 6%, or about the weight of a medium hen's egg.

Do you find this instrument noticeably lighter than a standard size?

...I reckon we're looking at a difference of 5 or 6%, or about the weight of a medium hen's egg.

So the main difference of the smaller size is psychological or aesthetic? (That's not a put down. Those factors can be important to the audience as well as to the player.)

Well, maybe the smaller size is easier (for some folks) to manipulate, regardless of weight? Oh, and maybe smaller reed chambers make a difference in the sound?

Well, if I were nearer, I would certainly want to give it a try, even though I'm not a prospective buyer. :)

Do you find this instrument noticeably lighter than a standard size?

...I reckon we're looking at a difference of 5 or 6%, or about the weight of a medium hen's egg.

So the main difference of the smaller size is psychological or aesthetic?

I don't know - I have quite small hands. Like, it-is-necessary-to-find-vintage-gloves hands. I think this instrument was made for someone like me, because I feel like I'm always pushing my hands forward on the grill. But I wondered if it would feel like a toy and throw off one's game. (Not that my game is all that. I haven't been at this very long. But still.)

Unfortunately I'm in the US so I'm not likely to become the owner of this instrument -- but I sure am daydreaming about it. Thank you for weighing it, David Robertson! That's what I would have done, too.

Unfortunately I'm in the US so I'm not likely to become the owner of this instrument -- but I sure am daydreaming about it. Thank you for weighing it, David Robertson! That's what I would have done, too.

Don't let geography deter you - I send instruments to the USA quite often!