Current makes of concertina

I thought that it might be helpful to have a current list somewhere, so I put one together, grouped generally by type of construction. I've included links where I could find them.

Jackie/Jack and Rochelle [Concertina Connection, vintage/traditional-type action]

And now add to that the Hayden Duet "Elise". Same overall construction as the above, and about the same price.

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/elise.htm

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Got it. Thanks!

Daniel

I thought that it might be helpful to have a current list somewhere, so I put one together, grouped generally by type of construction. I've included links where I could find them.

Jackie/Jack and Rochelle [Concertina Connection, vintage/traditional-type action]

And now add to that the Hayden Duet "Elise". Same overall construction as the above, and about the same price.http://www.concertinaconnection.com/elise.htm

--Mike K.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Other keys! Oh yes, here is a survey I did a while back. You can get anything custom, and the 4 most common setups plus baritones from a number of makers (and of course anything you want to custom order).

Ken

First, new instruments in the student/basic range: Button Box sells 20-button Stagi Anglos in G/D as well as C/G. And Schaumanufaktur/Silvetta says that they make their 20-button models in "A-D; D-G; G-C; C - F; Bb- Eb" -- however, you may have trouble dealing with them directly if you're not in Germany. Castiglione, who sell Silvetta-made instruments in the US under their own name, offer them in D/A and G/D as well as C/G. I had a double-reeded G/D Castiglione for a while that was a pretty good instrument for a student/basic concertina.

Used 2-row 20-button German concertinas often turn up on British and US eBay in a variety of keys, though they're often sold by generalists who don't know anything about them (including how to determine what key they're in). Prices are generally low, but you may get an instrument that's not playable or worth repairing. I've generally had good luck myself, but your mileage may vary...

For vintage concertina-reeded concertinas, it's possible to find 20-button Lachenals in Bb/F. Ab/Eb, or G/D. If you're looking for one of those, Barleycorn Concertinas is a good place to start.

Daniel

Are there 2 row concertinas available in keys other than C/G?
Edited by Daniel Hersh
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I came across a new name at the Sidmouth Folk Festival yesterday. A room in a hotel near the seafront had a stand by a company called "Accordions of London." Amongst assorted Stagi offerings there was a new 30 button hybrid C/G Anglo going under the name of "Exclusive" - with the name both in the "window" where the maker's name appears, and on the leather handstraps. It was a nice instrument & I strongly suspect it is a rebadged version of the Hobgoblin "Sherwood." Pricewise is was an extremely hot £1650. There doesn't seem to be anything about these on their website.

Thanks, Woody. I'm going to hold off adding it to the list for now, since there's so little info available and I don't generally include rebadged models. If it is a Sherwood that price is pretty high, since Hobgoblin lists them for £999.

I came across a new name at the Sidmouth Folk Festival yesterday. A room in a hotel near the seafront had a stand by a company called "Accordions of London." Amongst assorted Stagi offerings there was a new 30 button hybrid C/G Anglo going under the name of "Exclusive" - with the name both in the "window" where the maker's name appears, and on the leather handstraps. It was a nice instrument & I strongly suspect it is a rebadged version of the Hobgoblin "Sherwood." Pricewise is was an extremely hot £1650. There doesn't seem to be anything about these on their website.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Taka -- I hadn't heard about that one. I wonder if a few dealers/makers are looking to fill a possible market niche for a concertina priced in between the student/basic models and most of the hybrids. Hobgoblin's Sherwood is already on the market, and Concertina Connection's Clover and this one from the Music Room seem to be on their way.

I just noticed this one:

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/4485

They say it is a prototype and final product will be available in winter. So it seems too early to include this to the list but promising.

--

Taka

Thanks, Taka -- I hadn't heard about that one. I wonder if a few dealers/makers are looking to fill a possible market niche for a concertina priced in between the student/basic models and most of the hybrids. Hobgoblin's Sherwood is already on the market, and Concertina Connection's Clover and this one from the Music Room seem to be on their way.

I just noticed this one:

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/produ...roducts_id/4485

They say it is a prototype and final product will be available in winter. So it seems too early to include this to the list but promising.

Hmmm, it looks like the exact same A.C. Norman rip-off that I've already reported being shown in Ireland. I think there's a guy here not gonna be too happy about that (not to mention Andrew Norman), but I told him it'd happen if he took it to the Chinese... :rolleyes:

Hmmm, it looks like the exact same A.C. Norman rip-off that I've already reported being shown in Ireland. I think there's a guy here not gonna be too happy about that (not to mention Andrew Norman), but I told him it'd happen if he took it to the Chinese... :rolleyes:

Stephen--

Did you report that here? I can't find the reference. I know we discussed a different Irish concertina of questionable heritage...

Daniel

Stephen--

Did you report that here? I can't find the reference.

Daniel,

No, I now realise it was over on Melodeon.net that I first mentioned it. There's a guy I know here (in Ireland) who's importing instruments for Irish traditional music from China and Pakistan, and in Miltown Malbay this year he showed me a couple of interesting lines he was going to get from China - one was a nice Italian organetto that the Chinese seem to be making for the Italian market, and the other some sample A.C.Norman copies that he'd commissioned from the factory. The concertinas had the same levers that are in the Rochelle, but no reeds because he was going to get an Irish accordion builder to install good Italian ones for him, whilst it looks like the Chinese factory also sent samples to the Music Room with reeds, and maybe to Accordions of London too?

Edited by Stephen Chambers

...it looks like the Chinese factory also sent samples to the Music Room with reeds, and maybe to Accordions of London too?

Could be. I wish I'd paid more attention to the buttons on the accordions of london anglo now. Certainly giving an instrument the makers name "Exclusive" sounds to me like it could be something from the Chinese approach to naming something in the English language.

...it looks like the Chinese factory also sent samples to the Music Room with reeds, and maybe to Accordions of London too?

Could be. I wish I'd paid more attention to the buttons on the accordions of london anglo now. Certainly giving an instrument the makers name "Exclusive" sounds to me like it could be something from the Chinese approach to naming something in the English language.

If my guess is right, then "Exclusive" starts to sound like a highly ironic and inappropriate name for them... :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

The Crucianelli line was previously discussed in this thread. The conclusion at that time was that they were re-badged Stagis.

http://www.merlinmusicmelrose.co.uk/catalog/5

Has anyone come across these before? The english looks like the Hohner, but I wonder if they are the same instrument!

Chris