Does Anyone Own A Holmwood Concertina

Dark_Templar

Hi there again everyone.

Practicing everyday, getting a little better as the time passes.

My father and I have also had a look at Holmwood, having had a CD and the price (£3525).

We would like to know if anyone has actually bought a Holmwood concertina, and if someone has, please can they post a reply to:

1) Tell us what they are like

2) If you have a sound file you can post (or e-mail)

3) How much they weigh - These things look huge, they have wrist straps and a thumb strap!

4) If Mr Holmwood himself is on here, I don't know, but if he is, can he (or an owner who knows) tell me if the absolutely beautiful ends are done by hand or machine?

Like wow, I know I said I didn't want to spend this sort of money on a Wheatstone, or even on an instrument, but if you haven't seen a Holmwood you are missing out.

They sent us a CD with their "Blondie" model, and I must say that it is as beautiful as Suttners and Edgleys concertinas.

The only worry is that it looks HUGE! :blink: I mean, it must be big if it needs a wrist strap as well!

Please reply with postings aimed at a concertina novice. I've only had my Jack a few days.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wELL ACTUALLY QUITE A FEW OF US DO.i HAVE HAD MINE FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS AND NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM IT PLAYS SUPERBLY,I ONLY WISH I COULD,

I WOULD BE QUITE HAPPY TO SHOW YOU IF YOU CONTACT ME AS I AM ABOUT 100 MILES NORTH OF YOU.THE BLONDIE IS ,I THINK,THE MOST WONDERFUL TINA I HAVE EVER SEEN AND HAMISH HAS PLAYED IT TO ME OVER THE PHONE AND IT SOUNDS JUST AS GOOD

AS TO THE WEIGHT, THERE ARE SEVERAL WOMEN PLAYING THEM AND THE AINT BIG GIRLS

WHY YOU NEED TO BOTHER HOW THE ENDS ARE CUT PUZZLES ME ,HAMISH WAS THE FIRST TO REALIZE THE BENIFITS OF USING CNC TO REMOVE THE TEDIUM OF DULL REPETITIVE WORK.HE DOES NOT FELL THE TREES NOR SAW IT BY HAND,NEITHER DOES HE SLAUGHTER THE SHEEP NOR TAN IN HIS OWN BACKYARD THEIR HIDES . HE DOES HOWEVER MAKE EXCEEDINGLY FINE CONCERTINAS

IF I CAN BE OF ANY FURTHER HELP LET ME KNOW

:angry: Yes, well you could have just answered with a simple statement.

You could have said "The ends are cut by computer". I made a mistake in my last post, where I was rude to Mr. Morse over a misunderstanding over a word he had used.

There was no need to be sarcastic. If I had spoken to you in such a way, you would have told me to xxxx off, wouldn't you.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and as a novice, who has only been playing the concertina for a few days, I don't need people like you, who think they are being smart, to give flippant, silly answers.

If I get banned from the concertina.net forums for this, then so be it. I have been told by one or two folk musicians that concertina players can actually be quite snobbish, due to the cost of a top quality concertinas as opposed to guitars, Bodhrains etc.

When people like you talk in such a fashion, it is no wonder that other people think like this.

The reason concertinas cost so much is becuase no one is actually prepared to pay to train an apprentace or two, so that others can learn how to make these intstruments under the guidance of professionals.

The other reason is that most concertinas then end up either in a private collection, or in a Musuem. This means that 1) they are never played, and 2) Pushes the price up.

I would love to learn how to make a concertina properly, as I have had a little experience with wood working both at school and at College. Granted this is mainly for Mortice and Tenon joints, but I enjoyed it immensly, as I like using my hands.

Now if I were to start a company, I would have more than three people working there, I would also take out a large-ish loan, or get investors, for the capital to buy machines to do the repetative jobs. this would bring both the waiting time down and the price, which means that the instrument would probably become a little more mainstream again, as it would be more affordable, and easier to get hold of.

Like I had said, I was going to go for the Stagi 48 key English, as it is good enough to learn on, but even that had a months wait. So I then went for the cheaper Jack, and my father bought a jackie.

So if anyone else feels like leaving a sarcastic reply, please don't. I only want people who are prepared to answer me in an intelligent, decent manner.

Thank you.

Edited by Dark_Templar

So far as I know no one can get banned from these forums. But you may eventually find that no one responds to your postings if you continue to be so quick to take offense, first to Richard Morse and now here.

:angry: Yes, well you could have just answered with a simple statement.

You could have said "The ends are cut by computer". I made a mistake in my last post, where I was rude to Mr. Morse over a misunderstanding over a word he had used.

There was no need to be sarcastic. If I had spoken to you in such a way, you would have told me to xxxx off, wouldn't you.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and as a novice, who has only been playing the concertina for a few days, I don't need people like you, who think they are being smart, to give flippant, silly answers.

If I get banned from the concertina.net forums for this, then so be it. I have been told by one or two folk musicians that concertina players can actually be quite snobbish, due to the cost of a top quality concertinas as opposed to guitars, Bodhrains etc.

When people like you talk in such a fashion, it is no wonder that other people think like this.

The reason concertinas cost so much is becuase no one is actually prepared to pay to train an apprentace or two, so that others can learn how to make these intstruments under the guidance of professionals.

The other reason is that most concertinas then end up either in a private collection, or in a Musuem. This means that 1) they are never played, and 2) Pushes the price up.

I would love to learn how to make a concertina properly, as I have had a little experience with wood working both at school and at College. Granted this is mainly for Mortice and Tenon joints, but I enjoyed it immensly, as I like using my hands.

Now if I were to start a company, I would have more than three people working there, I would also take out a large-ish loan, or get investors, for the capital to buy machines to do the repetative jobs. this would bring both the waiting time down and the price, which means that the instrument would probably become a little more mainstream again, as it would be more affordable, and easier to get hold of.

Like I had said, I was going to go for the Stagi 48 key English, as it is good enough to learn on, but even that had a months wait. So I then went for the cheaper Jack, and my father bought a jackie.

So if anyone else feels like leaving a sarcastic reply, please don't. I only want people who are prepared to answer me in an intelligent, decent manner.

Thank you.

WHY YOU NEED TO BOTHER HOW THE ENDS ARE CUT PUZZLES ME ,HAMISH WAS THE FIRST TO REALIZE THE BENIFITS OF USING CNC TO REMOVE THE TEDIUM OF DULL REPETITIVE WORK.HE DOES NOT FELL THE TREES NOR SAW IT BY HAND,NEITHER DOES HE SLAUGHTER THE SHEEP NOR TAN IN HIS OWN BACKYARD THEIR HIDES . HE DOES HOWEVER MAKE EXCEEDINGLY FINE CONCERTINAS

IF I CAN BE OF ANY FURTHER HELP LET ME KNOW

But I suppose this is okay then? All I wanted to know, and if you read what I put, you'll see why I take offence to this, as would most people. I asked if the baeutiful ends on the blondie were hand pierced or machine cut. This is a good question, as I am not inclined to phone Mr. holmwood every time I want to ask him something. It's a waste of his time, and I doubt he would appreciate me doing so.

To have the above as an answer is not right. the only part of that Oldnickilby needed to type was the very last line. The rest is sarcasm, and I don't appreciate it.

I'm not stupid, I have had College level tuition.

I hold 9 GCSE's of grade D and above, and I have an GNVQ Intermediate in Information Technology, passed with a Merit, and an AVCE Advanced in Information Communication Technology (ICT) which I passed with a CC grade.

If you were the newbie, and I spoke to you in a sarcastic, flippant and frankly uneccesary manner, you would also feel angry and frustrated.

Edited by Dark_Templar

I can see that whatever I do I'll be in the wrong. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Oh my!! This is a self fullfilling prophecy.

Dark Templar,

Before things get too out of hand, I'd go back and reread Old Nickilby's offer to get together and let you play his instrument. That is a gracious offer. I won't attempt to interpret any hidden meanings or perceived slights I'll just say that my experience is that by and large people who participate in this forum are polite and helpful. Any exceptions are best ignored.

I've played music for over 40 years but I am a just a beginner in the concertina world. I would prefer to don a cloak of humbleness and seek help from the knowledgable and experienced rather than set myself on fire with a self rightous torch of indignity and then wonder why no one helps me.

You seem like an intelligent, passionate young man (perhaps a bit impulsive?). Give yourself some time and patience to explore the concertina. There are many who post on this forum who can assist.

Regards,

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I think that offering one's instrument to a pure beginner is a rare gesture of kindness.

But I also think that sarcasm, added to this offer is not necessary.

On the other hand, when you enter a public forum, you engage with strangers, and have to have wide room for accepting unusual mannters, with which people communicate in their midst.

Nothing wrong with sarcasm per se. If you are so intolerant to it, you shouldn't step your foot on Russian soil, speaking with large dose of sarcasm is a good style there. It's not even considerd a sarcasm, just normal way of expressing.

Not sure if it's the norm in OLDNICKILBY's intimate cirlce, but what if it is?

Tolerance!

Humility!

A 1000 mile jorney begins... and ends. No need to make it more difficult.

Strange,

I read this as humour when I saw it, or at worst an attempt at it. I guess it is like e-mails, you have to be much more careful when you write them than if you're talking face to face because the recipient can't see the twinkle in your eye.

Don't forget, it came with a generous offer of help.

Hi there again everyone.

My father and I have also had a look at Holmwood, having had a CD and the price (£3525).

Is that really the price for a Holmwood? You can get a nice old Aeola for significantly less (at least GBP1000)

I have been told by one or two folk musicians that concertina players can actually be quite snobbish, due to the cost of a top quality concertinas as opposed to guitars, Bodhrains etc.

I have never noticed anything snobbish in this forum. This is a very helpful group of people. Always prepared to answer any question en very often giving more than a simple answer with a lot of extra information.

I hold 9 GCSE's of grade D and above, and I have an GNVQ Intermediate in Information Technology, passed with a Merit, and an AVCE Advanced in Information Communication Technology (ICT) which I passed with a CC grade.

So.. should I be impressed?? Who is snobbish here??

This is copied from 'BigNick's Concertina Guide" web site:

This is a modern (1990) Tenor/Treble English concertina, made by Holmwood. Holmwood's proprietor, Hamish Bayne, has endeavored to reduce the amount of hand crafting (and thus the cost) needed to make a concertina by using computer-controlled machines to make many of the parts. It helps but there is still much hand finishing to be done (and he still makes the screws himself).

It may be of help.

I read this as humour when I saw it, or at worst an attempt at it. I guess it is like e-mails, you have to be much more careful when you write them than if you're talking face to face because the recipient can't see the twinkle in your eye.

And the reader should equally take care not to assume an intention in the writer. Someone so well qualified in ICT should be aware of that. (no sarcasm intended)

Don't forget, it came with a generous offer of help.

And I know from experience that the offer of help was genuine. I've benefitted from Oldnickilby's help an advice on many occasions.

Forget it.

I don't see where he has actually said that he will let me use his concertina.

Not that I would, even if it was offered. I'm not going to use someone elses concertina when 1) It's had time to become more valuable (both financially and sentimentally) and 2) If I were to damage it.

I can that whatever I say will be turned around so that I am in the wrong. Don't bother to reply to this as I am now going to e-mail the admin to close my membership.

There might be some helpful people on here. But all I have seen is that when I ask a question, I get a silly answer.

Oh, and listing MY Qualifications doesn't make me a snob. Most older people complain about my generation not being well educated.

Oh, another thing. I don't do humble, as this is the 21st century, not the 19th. If you want me to be humble, then you've got another thing coming.

If I ask a question it is because I have thought about it, and that means that I like to get adult answers.

But because I've only been a member for a few days, that means that when I get a silly answer and I complain, I am in the wrong.

Oldnikilby did not say in that 1st reply that he would let me use his concertina. He said lets get together, which is something completely different.

But whatever. I wish I hadn't bothered.

Many thanks.

Russell

I WAS ACTUALLY OFFERING TO HELP THIS YOUNG PERSON. HE WOULD MOST CERTAINLY HAVE NOTICED IF I WAS BEING SARCASTIC. I WAS NOT

WE DONT NEED OVER SENSITIVE PEOPLE TO SPOIL WHAT IS A TRULY WONDERFUL FORUM.

WHAT DIFFERENCE THE MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUES MAKES IS NOT RELEVANT

tHE OFFER STILL STANDS TO LET HIM SEE MY HOLMWOOD

I WAS ACTUALLY OFFERING TO HELP THIS YOUNG PERSON. HE WOULD MOST CERTAINLY HAVE NOTICED IF I WAS BEING SARCASTIC. I WAS NOT

WE DONT NEED OVER SENSITIVE PEOPLE TO SPOIL WHAT IS A TRULY WONDERFUL FORUM.

WHAT DIFFERENCE THE MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUES MAKES IS NOT RELEVANT

tHE OFFER STILL STANDS TO LET HIM SEE MY HOLMWOOD

It is relevent. I thank you for the offer, but I am going to have to say sorry, I am declining the offer.

The question about how the ends are done is relevent because if I were to spend 3500 pounds, on anything, I would like to know how it is made.

The reason I wanted to know is because if it was hand done, I would have said something along the lines of WOW!