Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

The weekend weather forecast doesn't look too good in the UK, so here are a couple of tunes to get the fingers working, both should be played fairly staccato but it was too much trouble to try and get the abc spot on. These tunes appear on a CD called "The Wind in the Reeds" which is still available (in the UK at least). A brisk jig and a triple hornpipe seem to go well together and Pheasant's Dance is a particularly pretty tune. m3838 should enjoy this one. ;)

Pete.

That would be the CD that should have been called "The (almost) Complete Cut and Dry Band" featuring Alistair Anderson with the two Robbs and two other Northumbrian pipers whose names will not come right now. So they should be played very staccato if you want to get the pipes sound.

I know a record shop (OK, I partly own it) that would be happy to send the recording to any part of the world.

tallship has beaten me to filling in the names.

Having printed out the tunes and taken them home, I see that something funny has happened to Rusty Gulley. The time signature is given as 3/2 but there are six quavers to the bar. Now, around here (northeast England) Rusty Gulley is generally played with an alternating rhythm. Take the dots as they come out and treat the time signature as being alternately 3/4 and 6/8. Actually a few 3/2 tunes seem to do this but not always so regularly.

Not explaining this very well. Think of each bar as six notes, whatever they are and place the accents in the odd-numbered bars on beats one, three and five of the six and in even-numbered bars on beats one and four. I think this is what the Cut and Dry Band do on The Wind in the Reeds but they play it very fast.

Will try to dot this out over the weekend, Roger

The weekend weather forecast doesn't look too good in the UK, so here are a couple of tunes to get the fingers working, both should be played fairly staccato but it was too much trouble to try and get the abc spot on. These tunes appear on a CD called "The Wind in the Reeds" which is still available (in the UK at least). A brisk jig and a triple hornpipe seem to go well together and Pheasant's Dance is a particularly pretty tune. m3838 should enjoy this one. ;)

Pete.

X:1

T:Pheasant's Dance

D:Cut & Dry Band

O:Northumbria

M:6/8

L:1/8

Q:1/4=200

K:G

B2 c ded|c2 B ABc|dBG E2 A|FDF G3:|

B2 G c2 A|B2 G A2 g|dBG E2 A|FDF G3:|

BdB cec|AcA BdB|GBG AcA|FDF G3:|

f2 d gdB|gdB a2 A|Bcd E2 A|FDF G3:|

T: Rusty Gully

M: 3/2

L: 1/8

Q:1/4=130

K: Gmaj

|:G/A/B/c/ dG BG|FA Ac BA|G/A/B/c/ dG BG|DG GB AG:|

|:g2 f2 eg|fd df ed|ce Bd Ac|BG GB AG:|

Pete

Rusty Gulley is oft combined in sessions in t' South East, with The Dusty Miller, ABC below.

X: 1

T:THE DUSTY MILLER

B:John of The Greeny Cheshire Way

N:� John Offord, Reproduced with permission

M:3/2

B3 c d2 B2 A2 G2| F2 A2 A2 B2 c2 A2 | B3 c d2 B2 A2 G2 | D2 G2 G2 B2 A2

G2 :|

|:B2 c2 d2 e2 f2 g2| a2 A2 A2 c2 B2 A2 | B2 c2 d2 e2 f2 a2 | g2 G2 G2 B2 A2

G2 :|

Play Dusty Miller first, followed by Rusty Gulley. And you will see what I mean! ;)

Chris

• Like 1

Having printed out the tunes and taken them home, I see that something funny has happened to Rusty Gulley. The time signature is given as 3/2 but there are six quavers to the bar. Now, around here (northeast England) Rusty Gulley is generally played with an alternating rhythm. Take the dots as they come out and treat the time signature as being alternately 3/4 and 6/8. Actually a few 3/2 tunes seem to do this but not always so regularly.

Not explaining this very well. Think of each bar as six notes, whatever they are and place the accents in the odd-numbered bars on beats one, three and five of the six and in even-numbered bars on beats one and four. I think this is what the Cut and Dry Band do on The Wind in the Reeds but they play it very fast.

I had a copy of Rusty Gully in Pete Loud's Northumbrian, Tyneside and Other Fiddler's Tunes book but it was written differently and was not as 'busy' as the Cut and Dry band version. The abc I posted here came from The Session website and the midi file plays back pretty much as the Cut and Dry Band played it so that was good enough for me. I'm a moderate sight reader but I sometimes struggle a bit with the less common time signatures, I didn't even try to count this one I just know it plays like the version I'm familiar with.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Will try to dot this out over the weekend, Roger

I've now edited the abc in the original post so that Rusty Gully is written as proper 3/2 but I'd still be interested to see the notation as you described it Roger.

Here are a couple of hornpipes that go well together. Alistair Anderson's Fancy needs a little thought about the fingering if you're playing it on an English but otherwise it rattles along quite nicely. Enjoy the weekend. :)

T:Alistair Anderson's Fancy

C:Will Atkinson

M:4/4

Q:1/4=140

R:Hornpipe

Z:Peter Dunk

(3DEF | G>BF>G E>GD>C | B,>DG>B c>ed>c | B>GD>G B>dc>B | A>GF>G A>cB>A |

G>BF>G E>GD>C | B,>DG>B c>ed>c | B>gf>e d>BA>c | B2G2G2 :|

F>G | A>cF>A D>FA>c | B>dG>B D>GB>d | c>eA>c B>dG>B | A>GF>E D>GF>G |

A>cF>A D>FA>c | B>dG>B D>GB>d | c>eg>e d>BA>c | B2G2G2 :|

F>G | A>cF>A D>FA>c | B>dG>B D>GB>d | c>eA>c B>dG>B | A>gf>e d>cB>A |

G>BF>G E>GD>C | B,>DG>B c>ed>c | B>gf>e d>BA>c |1B2G2G2 :|2B2G2G3 |

T:The Shining Pool

C:Willie Taylor

R:Hornpipe

Q:1/4=140

M:4/4

Z:Peter Dunk

K:D

(3ABc | (3def (3edc d>BA>G | F>AE>A D2 F>G | A>dc>d B>dg>f | (3efe (3dcB A>gf>e |

(3def (3edc d>BA>G | F>AE>A D2 F>G | A>dc>d B>de>f | (3cBA (3gfe d2 :|

f>g | a>fd>f e>cA>G | F>Ad>f a>fd>c | B>gg>B A>ff>d | (3efe (3dcB A2 f>g |

a>fd>f e>cA>G | F>Ad>f a>fd>c | B>gg>B A>ff>d | (3cBA (3gfe d2 f>g |

a>fd>f e>cA>G | F>Ad>f a>fd>c | B>gg>B A>ff>d | (3efe (3dcB A2 (3ABc |

(3def (3edc d>BA>G | F>AE>A D2 F>G | A>dc>d B>de>f |1(3cBA (3gfe d2 :|2(3cBA (3gfe d4 |

• Like 1

Pete

Rusty Gulley is oft combined in sessions in t' South East, with The Dusty Miller, ABC below.

Chris, as we both seem to live in t'Sarf East perhaps we should go out of our way to bump into each other at the Tenterden Festival next weekend as I only live four miles away and you're probably going anyway ... ;)

Chris, as we both seem to live in t'Sarf East perhaps we should go out of our way to bump into each other at the Tenterden Festival next weekend as I only live four miles away and you're probably going anyway ... ;)

I am between 40 and 50 miles away but I am anticipating going there on Saturday.

I do not know any details of the programme so I do not know specifically where I will be, but if there is a good music session going, I am sure I will find it.

- John Wild

• 2 months later...

This one's been driving me potty for a few days, can't seem to get it out of my head so I thought I'd share the insanity. :D

T: Whinshields Hornpipe

C: JL Dunk

M:2/4

Q:1/4=110

d/c/| BG GB | AD D2 | GG G/A/B/c/ | d>B dg | ec ce | dG GA/B/ | cB AG | FA d>c |

BG GB | AD D2 | GG G/A/B/c/ | d>B dg | ec ce | dG GA/B/ | c/B/A/G/ Fd | G3 ||

d | g>a g/f/e/d/ | BG GA/B/ | c/B/c/d/ c/B/A/G/ | FA Ad | g>a g/f/e/d/ | BG G2 | AA B^c |

d3 d | g/f/g/f/ g/f/e/d/ | BG GA/B/ | c/B/c/d/ c/B/A/G/ | FA Ad/c/ | BG GB | AD DB |

c/B/A/G/ Fd | G3 ||

Edited by tallship
  • Like 1

As a footnote to the tune above, I found this in Pete Loud's excellent collection of Northumbrian and Tyneside Tunes which I can't recommend enough. It's packed with great tunes, each more playable than the last.

I was drawn to this particular tune by the composer's uncommon surname which is the same as mine - so I had to give it a go. Try as I might I can find nothing else at all written by J L Dunk, so was this possible relation an early 'one hit wonder' or does someone here know better?

I've heard a few versions of Whinshield's before, and it's always been one that has stuck in my head. It's usually the first tune I play when I pick up a whistle. I never heard the name of the composer, however. Here are a few recordings on FARNE from an old fiddler:

http://www.asaplive.com/archive/detail.asp?id=B1701004

http://www.asaplive.com/archive/detail.asp?id=P0010011

It's usually the first tune I play when I pick up a whistle.

Extraordinary, but I can quite see why. It seems pretty complex at first but it's one of those tunes that rolls out all on its own and is a perfect warm up piece. Many thanks for the links, it's pretty enlightening to hear what fiddlers did with the tune although they're very faithful to the dots.

This one's been driving me potty for a few days, can't seem to get it out of my head so I thought I'd share the insanity. :D

Well, it's certainly firmly fixed in my head now and may well drive me insane at this rate. It kept me awake at about 3.00 am this morning; I just couldn't get it out of my head.

Great tune Pete, thanks for sharing it!

Here we go with a two part Christmas special, a piece by Alistair Anderson called Windy Gyle. There are two very different parts one laid over the other to spectacular effect. The first part is in 6/8 and played very slowly so don't think it's any kind of jig as such. The second part will follow in the next few days, a 9/8 slip jig played at a blistering pace over the top with two bars of 9/8 to every bar of 6/8 but actually it still sounds charming if the whole thing is slowed to a manageable pace. All you need now is another musician to join in; I need someone to play the fast bit ... :lol:

T:Windy Gyle (6/8)

C: Alistair Anderson

Z: Peter Dunk. December 2008

Q:1/4=60

L: 1/16

|:B3AG2 d4 D2 | A6-A6 | c6 B3AG2 | A d-d4 B6 |

B3AG2 d4 c2 | A6 D3GA2 | B3AG2 Ac3A2 | G6-G6 |

D4 A2 A3Bc2 | d4 G2 c6 | B3AG2 d4 D2 | A6-A6 |

D4 B2 B3AG2 | A d-d4 c6-|c3 d c2 B3AG2 | Ad3D2 G3 :|

Edited by tallship
  • Like 1

Here we go with a two part Christmas special, a piece by Alistair Anderson called Windy Gyle. There are two very different parts one laid over the other to spectacular effect. The first part is in 6/8 and played very slowly so don't think it's any kind of jig as such. The second part will follow in the next few days, a 9/8 slip jig played at a blistering pace over the top with three bars of 9/8 to every two bars of 6/8 but actually it still sounds charming if the whole thing is slowed to a manageable pace. All you need now is another musician to join in; I need someone to play the fast bit ... :lol:

T:Windy Gyle (6/8)

C: Alistair Anderson

Z: Peter Dunk. December 2008

Q:1/4=60

L: 1/16

:B3AG2 d4 D2 | A6-A6 | c6 B3AG2 | A d-d4 B6 |

B3AG2 d4 c2 | A6 D3GA2 | B3AG2 Ac3A2 | G6-G6 |

D4 A2 A3Bc2 | d4 G2 c6 | B3AG2 d4 D2 | A6-A6 |

D4 B2 B3AG2 | A d-d4 c6-|c3 d c2 B3AG2 | Ad3D2 G3 :|

Very nice. Takes a lot of gyle to play it! :lol: I await part 2.

Chris

I've edited the original post as I got the timing wrong, it's actually two bars of the slip jig to each bar of the slow 6/8 air. It should be played in the following order:

Slow air twice through solo

Slip jig twice through solo

Air and slip jig together until your fingers drop off. :lol:

Here's the slip jig, Merry Christmas!

T:Windy Gyle (9/8)

T: 2 bars of 9/8 to one bar of slow 6/8 air

C:Alistair Anderson

Z:Peter Dunk December 2008

Q:1/4=240

M:9/8