Kitty Hayes [rip]

Guest Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

With the greatest sadness I have to let you know Kitty Hayes unexpectedly passed away early this morning at home in Shanaway, Miltown Malbay

more later

Edited by Peter Laban

With the greatest sadness I have to let you know Kitty Hayes unexpectedly passed away early this morning at home in Shanaway, Miltown Malbay

more later

It's very sad to hear this. She gave me (and maybe many others) a lot of pleasure by playing together with you Peter!

I am sorry to hear of Kitty's passing.

I was particularly struck with her long defered love for the concertina. Once her family was raised and obligations fulfilled she returned to her music with a passion that is an inspiration for us all.

We will miss you, Kitty.

Greg

Guest Peter Laban

She phoned me yesterday, we were to play tonight at a CD launch and she was looking forward to going, play a few tunes and sing a few songs and she wondered if I was up for 'a practice'. She knew we didn't need it but she liked the company and a few tunes to 'shorten the day' as she would say. Unfortunately I had to pick up something in Ennis so we decided to chance it unprepared. We talked for a while and she was in the greatest of form, as she was a few days before, the last time we played. I had given her a few new tunes that she loved and she was raring to go and play them in public.

She had a good run the past few years. Her story is by now wellknown: Kitty grew up listening to her father and their next door neighbour, Willie Clancy's father Gilbert play together in the kitchen. As a teenagers she worked her father's concertina when he wasn't looking, teaching herself the basics. At that time she was out to the house dances a lot, listening to and playing music. At some point hough her concertina broke and around the same time she married fluteplayer Josie Hayes. The night before her wedding, St Patrick's Day 1948, Packie Russell travelled to her father's house and played for a great farewell dance. There was another great dance when she moved into the Hayes' home in Shanaway the next day and I was just told again by a neighbour of her's what a great night it was.

Raising the family and working the farm there was no money or time for a concertina and it was only in the 1990's she got back to it, after a break of nearly 45 years.

I met her on the first night she played out, she was sitting in with fiddlers Junior Crehan and Michael Downes and she sounded like she had been playing forever.

Soon after we started playing together, eight or nine years ago. We got on like a house on fire and ended up playing together almost weekly, quietly at home over a cup of tea.

She had a good run of it the past few years, getting invited to play, a great television documentary in the Se Mo Laoch seriesmade by Breandan Begley and Nuala O Connor that told her story and had us all play.

Two years ago we were invited to play the galaconcert of the Feakle festival, we took the Josephine Marsh Band along, myself sitting in for Josephine who was very pregnant at the time and Mick Kinsella on harmonica and concertina and Maurice Coyle playing guitar, we had a great night and were well received. Some of our concert was televised on TG4.

Martin Hayes was there that night and he loved what we did, being already every taken by Kitty's rhythm after hearing her first CD and the duo CD we did and he invited us to play at a festival he is the artistic director of: The Masters of Tradition held annually in Bantry House in Co Cork. Kitty was a bit apprehensive of the long journey but agreed to go. Kitty and myself went with Eoin O Neil on bouzouki and Mick Kinsella on harmonicas and concertina. It was a lovely night in the glorious setting of the big house with a tremendously appreciative audience. Kitty, at 82 years of age taking it all in her stride engaging in heavy banter with Christy Moore (who promised to write a song about her) in the Green Room before the concert and staying on for the sunday to do a concert with Martin Hayes and Denis Cahill on their special invitation. These cocnerts were recorded for RTE/Lyric FM radio and are scheduled for broadcast over the coming months.

BantrySoundcheck.jpg

Last November we 'got the band together again' for a special tribute concert in Glor in Ennis, the hall filled with friends, family and neighbours, Kitty joined by eoin O Neill, Dympna O Sullivan, Josephine March and Mick Kinsella, myself and MC/singer Tim Dennehy. She was playign like wildfire, surpassing herself in every way, enjoying the musical support and thriving on playing for the friends and family in the audience. It was a memorable night.

Glor.jpg

Winter was quiet, we played mostly in, she particularly loved it when I brought my son along, he plays the concertina and she was always trying to get a few tune s off him, especially The Hunt, which her father used to play. During a few visits my son shot a dozen or so of videos that can been seen on YouTube, she joked about having them once she'd be gone.

GusKItty1.jpg

Earlier this week Noel Hill played in town, I was to take her along but at the last minute she decided she'd save herself for the CD launch tonight. She got up this morning, had her cup of tea and then quietly slipped away.

Kitty1-BWsmall.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

Soon after we started playing together, eight or nine years ago. We got on like a house on fire and ended up playing together almost weekly, quietly at home over a cup of tea.

Winter was quiet, we played mostly in, she particularly loved it when I brought my son along, he plays the concertina and she was always trying to get a few tune s off him, especially The Hunt, which her father used to play. During a few visits my son shot a dozen or so of videos that can been seen on YouTube, she joked about having them once she'd be gone.

Peter,

So sorry to hear about the loss of Kitty, your friend and playing partner.

I guess that as we go through life, meeting perhaps thousands of people in the process, a few do become special to us, for a variety of reasons. I am so glad that your son had the foresight, and interest, in recording Kitty and yourself playing together; precious memories indeed. I had the pleasure in watching these videos when they were first posted, and am listening again, now.

Kind regards,

Peter.

Beste Peter,

Sorry to hear of your loss (both a friend and a musical partner). From the little I knew of Kitty Hayes it seemed a great person.

When I got your CD I remember thinking of looking you up and hear you play together (and perhaps even join you for a few tunes). I still might look you up one day but I will never hear you play together, which makes me somewhat sad.

Sterkte

Hermann

Dear Peter -

I was so sorry to hear the news about Kitty this morning.

I've enjoyed listening to the clips on you tube, and reading about Kitty both here and on the chiff flute board. It's hard to lose a good mate, but it sounds like she had a peaceful end - which is such a blessing.

Pamela

more later

So very sad to hear this, Peter - she reached far out in the world and inspired many.

My kindest regards

- to you and your family and to the folks in Milltown,

/Henrik

Guest Peter Laban

Kitty will be in Queally's funeral home in Miltown Malbay of monday 6-8, removal to Coore church, burial on tuesday after 11 O clock mass in Coore cemetary

Edited by Peter Laban

Thank you for that tribute, Peter. I was so shocked to read your news, what a loss for you and for the music. Her playing has been an inspiration to me over the last few years, both her solo CD and the duet CD with you; thank you for making them and helping her to make them.

Thinking of you this week

Pippa

Guest Peter Laban

Kitty was laid to rest with her husband Josie and son Joe outside Coore church yesterday. The church was packed with friends and neighbours, so packed I couldn't get back in after I stepped out for a few minutes to get a few things organised. Inside Dympna O Sullivan played lovely sweet music during the mass, Tim Dennehy sang and Noel Hill played Caoineadh na tri Mhuire, I played A Stor mo Chroi at the graveside, the tune Junior Crehan had played for Josie and Kitty herself played for Joe there and was joined by Josephine Marsh, Mick Kinsella and Brid O Donohue for Hughie Traver's jig and reel, which Kitty learned from Joe, I never saw her play them without a tear coming to her eye.

After a meal in the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point we had some more music: Jackie Daly, Claire Keville, Susie Cox, Lorraine O'Brien, Eoin O'Neil, Quentin Cooper, John Joe Tuttle, Kitty's son in law Chris, Christy McNamara and myself played for a few hours. We had t ogive out a bit to Jacqui McCarthy for not bringing the concertina, but that's the way.

I like to think Kitty would have approved of the send off.

Thanks to everybody for condolences, e-mails and messages of sympathy. We have our memories and a bit of Kitty's music to hold on to.

Edited by Peter Laban

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter Laban

I just received the following (I asked) from the producer of the Lyric FM 'Gracenotes' program, about the Bantry Masters of Tradition concerts:

Just to let you know that the recording of Kitty Hayes from the Masters of Tradition Festival 2007 will be broadcast next Sunday at 6pm on Grace Notes on RTE lyric fm as part of our second programme of highlights from the festival.

the broadcast can be heard on Lyric FM or through the website at:

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/trad/

where the shows are also stored for a week