Guide To The 2017 Cites Rule Changes

All right, so here’s a question:

I’ve got a dining room table that was made for me in 1988 by a craftsman I met at a juried crafts fair. The table top is African rosewood (Bubinga). I don’t envision ever wanting to sell it, but my heirs might. Is it a problem?

Concertina relevance: In the thread on “What do our concertinas look like,” the picture of my two Haydens shows them atop said table:

Haydens.jpg

I’ve got a dining room table that was made for me in 1988 by a craftsman I met at a juried crafts fair. The table top is African rosewood (Bubinga). I don’t envision ever wanting to sell it, but my heirs might. Is it a problem?

A variety of responses:

1. A problem? There's no way to know for sure, since the laws could change several times between now and then.
  2. There could even be a problem with the inheritance. As far as I know, CITES-derived laws don't make special provisions for tranfer of ownership/possession by inheritance as opposed to sale.
  3. If it's currently possible to register the table as having been produced before its material was restricted, you should do that, as insurance against future questions when required documentation may no longer be available.

I think you can sell the stuff throughout the EC ok....

That's not how I understood the summary of the EU rules referenced at the beginning of this thread. Carry it, yes, but I think sale requires documentation.

...and with the UK (or what's left of it by then) seemingly now committed to a 'hard Brexit', it bodes an exciting future for musicians from both sides of the divide... A clarinettist from Belfast playing a gig in Dublin will doubtless have to take his receipts, or CITES certificate with him to avoid confiscation of the instrument?

Adrian

I was looking at an online auction today, (proper public live auction, not ebay) and there were several high-value ivory items knocked down.

No mention of any certificates or anything.

There doesn't seem to be a problem selling the stuff if it's obviously old, and ivory has been on the banned list for quite some time.

Edited by Patrick McMahon

• 1 month later...

British Govt. have recently extended total sales ban on Ivory items made after 1947. Antique items are not affected. Theoretically I cannot legally sell my ivory banded set of recorders now!