Switching Between Layout Systems

I was wondering how many of us play both Jeffries and Wheatstone systems and how easily others can switch between the two? I have spent many years playing a Wheatstone layout and just recently acquired a G/D with a modified Jeffries layout. I am seriously tempted to have the right hand modified to a Wheatstone layout and have the other left hand modification undone so it is the same as my C/G. What are other folks opinions regarding the playing of modified and personalized layouts and the switching between Jeffries and Wheatstone?

I was wondering how many of us play both Jeffries and Wheatstone systems and how easily others can switch between the two? I have spent many years playing a Wheatstone layout and just recently acquired a G/D with a modified Jeffries layout. I am seriously tempted to have the right hand modified to a Wheatstone layout and have the other left hand modification undone so it is the same as my C/G. What are other folks opinions regarding the playing of modified and personalized layouts and the switching between Jeffries and Wheatstone?

I play a C/G with a mostly-Lachenal/Wheatstone system and a Jeffries with a slightly modified Jeffries system I don't find it difficult to go back and forth.

That said, I have gradually come to the view that the Jeffries system works better for my style of playing. But going back and forth hasn't been a problem - as long as I remember which instrument I have in my hand!

Sorry - that was a silly question - I see the Morris influence so I would deduce it's a harmonic style. I've been having lessons in the harmonic style and it was always recommended that a Jeffries layout was preferable for harmonic playing. Strange that a large proportion of Irish players also covet Jeffries system instruments.

I used to have both Wheatstone and Jeffries layout instruments. I found that switching between them wasn't too hard. Had to think about it for the first couple of minutes after changing off, but after that it was automatic and five minutes into either I was rock solid with it. I finally sold off the Jeffries layout and have since stayed with Wheatstone layouts exclusively because I've come to favor it, in no small part due to Bertram Levy's influence.

Are you playing instruments in different keys? That is to say are you playing only C/G Anglo or do you also play G/D or Bb/F and if so are you playing them as though they are a C/G? My biggest problem is actually trying to read the dots as though I'm playinag a G/D - my brain sees C/G!

I am happy reading on C/G and G/D but have recently acquired a F/C and was trying to look at Josefins Dopvals printed on F. I had to give up and use the G version.

My personal preference for a 30 button G/D is for the Wheatstone system. It is fine having a single G# on push, I use the next 3 buttons often, but I am wishing I had a top A on the pull ( I may replace high C on button 5 accidental row )

I've recently acquired an Anglo made by Ian Simpson in Nariel Creek, Victoria, Australia, and found it a bit different to both Jeffries and Wheatstone/Lachenal systems. Hopefully a map will appear here:

post-11004-0-65710100-1389134396_thumb.jpg

I guess two questions arise:

Does this system look familiar to anyone? I don't know if Ian adopted it or came up with it.

Does it look impractical in any sense?

Terry

Terry, I find this layout quite interesting !

I have also slightly customized my own instruments and I can see some convergence between my own choices and the ones you have here. In particular, I also have : 1/ the pull E on the left in the middle of the outer row, 2/ the bidirectional c# on the first button of outer row on the right, 3/ the extra eb/f# on the additional button on right (except that it's on the outer row on my wheatstone) and 4/ the d of the upper octave on pull on the right upper row (except that for me it's on fourth button, not fifth). I'm very found of all these four options and use them constantly in my playing.

The other specificities differ from my own choices, but are certainly handy as well. In particular the bidirectional g#s can be useful if you expect to play regularly in A major.

Personally I would not be unhappy with such a layout !