Ads

I find that I am receiving deceptive messages on the site, such as "your computer is at risk, you have a personal message, etc. I assumed these were from concertina.net but they were actually ads designed to get me to download things I did not want. Is there anything that can be done about these practices?

Again, the ads are there to cover the costs of the site (especially all the file storage for this ever-growing community) and make it available to you free (I don't think Paul clears much of anything for all his labor). I'm sure if Paul had enough revenue from the vendor ads (thanks to them for their generous support!) and donations by sellers (thanks to them also!) he would be happy to drop the dynamic ads. There are a couple of past threads on how/why they generate what you see and what to do about them, but I'm not coming up with them on a quick search. Perhaps someone else will point them out.

Ken

Hi, all. I do understand the purpose and support it, but a couple of times I have been fooled. The last one was a message that I had received a PM and it looked like it came from this site, but it turned out to be a trick that took me some time to escape from. I will be more careful.

Are you sure these are from the site? I've never had anything like that come up I don't think. The only site add I've found confusing was a banner that said 'get the app' and I clicked thinking it was a mobile app for the forum, but it went off to some other download site.

I find that I am receiving deceptive messages on the site, such as "your computer is at risk, you have a personal message, etc. I assumed these were from concertina.net but they were actually ads designed to get me to download things I did not want. Is there anything that can be done about these practices?

Aren't the ads on concertina.net coming through Google? If so, then these ads would seem to indicate that Google's "algorithm" for selecting appropriate ads for this site is "faulty". I put "faulty" in quotes, since I don't know whether they have special criteria for overriding the appropriateness criterion, e.g., if you pay them an extra fee.

I do seem to remember this issue coming up in a different way in the distant past, in particular, that we used to get ads for (among other things) "concertina wire", but through some sort of complaint process we were able to get Google to exclude those. Yes? If so, then maybe a new complaint would be effective?

This is pretty much speculative half-memory on my part, as I wasn't directly involved, but maybe Ken or Paul remembers? (If they remember that I'm wrong, then I apologize for the false hope.)

I still think that what is being described sounds more like what happens when you unwittingly allow something like 'double click' to install itself on your system, rather than what happens with google directed ads, which may be unwanted but are not normally actually scams. Is anyone else being offered these dubious ads?

Hi, all. I do understand the purpose and support it, but a couple of times I have been fooled. The last one was a message that I had received a PM and it looked like it came from this site, but it turned out to be a trick that took me some time to escape from. I will be more careful.

Are you talking about e-mail messages or pop-ups that happen when you are visiting concertina.net? If e-mail, do they come from "NO-REPLY@concertina.net"? Trust no other.

I must say, in answer to Spinningwoman's question that I have not experienced anything like what Jack is describing.

Are you sure these are from the site? I've never had anything like that come up I don't think. The only site add I've found confusing was a banner that said 'get the app' and I clicked thinking it was a mobile app for the forum, but it went off to some other download site.

That's just what happened to me as well...

I am currently seeing an ad at the top of the page. The important text is much smaller, but the meaning is clear - "visit our site to download the program." As I have not tried it, I do not know if it immediately does a download or gives you another chance to confirm. Read all the text and if you are unsure do not click on the link.

What I repeatedly see is a message within the concertina net site saying I have 1 PM message. When I first clicked on it, there was a download which I mistakenly assumed was connected with the net but then soon realized it was not and did not do the download. But the message appears in the same place where legitimate ads, such as for Edgley concertinas, appear. I do now assume that somehow Google is doing this.

I can't say that I usually pay much attention at all to the ads, but those I do occasionally see are either concertina-related, or Google-specific to me - in fact I seem to be followed around the internet these days by adverts for the Frankfurt hotel that I'm booked into for the Musikmesse (Music Trade Show) in March.

So maybe these strange ads are also somehow Google-specific to the people who are seeing them? :huh:

Edited to add

In fact, I see you have the option to click on "Ad choices" or "Do not show this ad again" in the advertising dialogue box, so you do have some control over it.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I also only see concertina-related adverts, and ads that are related to things that I have searched for/visited recently. I do have a flash blocker installed so I don't see animated flash ads any more (the video ads on eBay were the last straw). As a side point, clicking on the ads will usually earn the site a little extra pocket-money (and incidentally cost the business that placed the ad a rather larger sum of money).

At the very top of the page is a black bar with some links and icons over toward the right. The rightmost is {Sign Out]. Next to it (to the left) is a drop down from my name, then a person-in-a-box (Notifications) and an envelope (Messenger). If, in fact, you have any personal messages from within concertina.net, there will be a red badge on the envelope with the number of messages in white. You will also get e-mail from NO-REPLY@concertina.net alerting you of same. I'm going to send jggunn a personal message right now.