The Haymakers

My good lady and I have been invited to sing/play at a local allotment's "Pie night" on Friday. Songs about pies are fairly thin on the ground in my repertoire, but I have a few that can be filed under "general agriculture" which I have been dusting off this week.

This is my own version of The Haymakers, or "The Month of May" learned from recordings of the Copper family but fairly heavily "folk-processed" over the years. A nice reminder that May isn't just a time for misery and nonsense peddled by the political classes!

https://soundcloud.com/lachenaliamusic/the-haymakers

My good lady and I have been invited to sing/play at a local allotment's "Pie night" on Friday. Songs about pies are fairly thin on the ground in my repertoire, but I have a few that can be filed under "general agriculture" which I have been dusting off this week.

Not exactly "pie", but do you know that parody of "The Last Rose of Summer" which is "The Last Piece of Pudding"?

Never come across it, no! I'll look that up, thanks Jim.

Of course "Lumps of Plum Pudding" now comes to mind too - "...she gave me so much, I thought I would die..."

Edit: a Google search directs me back to some posts on Concertina.net from a while back - there's no other evidence of this parody online :) You wouldn't still happen to have the words, would you Jim?

Edited by StuartEstell

Not exactly "pie", but do you know that parody of "The Last Rose of Summer" which is "The Last Piece of Pudding"?

Never come across it, no! I'll look that up, thanks Jim

Edit: a Google search directs me back to some posts on Concertina.net from a while back - there's no other evidence of this parody online :) You wouldn't still happen to have the words, would you Jim?

Seems to me I came across them a few weeks ago while searching for something else. I ought to be able to find them, again.

"There'll Be Pie In the Sky Bye and Bye" has the right word, but probably the wrong attitude for your program.

Then there's "Miss Fogarty's Christmas Cake". :ph34r:

But a Google search for the word "pie" on mudcat.org gave "about 2830 results"... including, but hardly limited to "Hedgehog Pie". Happy hunting. :)

It occurs to me that I could get Somewhere Over the Rainbow in there.

I remember being reduced to a giggling loon by Douglas Rogers, many years ago, as I was tootling around with that tune on my Jeff duet, when he walked over and said, "oh, that's the one about the pie... you know, somewhere over the rainbow, weigh a pie" - complete with mime suggesting the assessment of fairly heavy pastry-based goods... :D

Cyril Tawney's "The Oggie Man's No More" (OK, not quite pies but pasties are a close relation).

And Bernard Wrigley's "Plastic Pies" song.

Or a bit of Neil Diamond's "Porcupine Pie"? (You gotta eat it with gloves or your hands will turn green...)

Know any song about mag-pies???

Thanks all for these suggestions - I must admit I wasn't initially thinking outside of the traditional repertoire, but this will give me plenty to look at tonight.

Nothing like a bit of short-notice preparation! :)

In the end we did Somewhere Over the Rainbow, the Haymakers, and American Pie (minus a couple of forgotten verses... well, I'd only had a day or so to revise it!) - hugely enjoyable, and they all carried on singing afterwards, leading to impromptu renditions of various Monkees songs and all sorts of other stuff! :D