Jody's New Cd Is Almost Ready

Tennessee fiddler Luke Richardson joins Brooklyn concertina player
Jody Kruskal for a CD of 19 old-time tunes ranging from
classic chestnuts to rare melodies seldom played.

I've been working on this project for over a year and I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My latest CD called Waiting for the Boatsman is almost ready. View the details and front cover here.

Tennessee fiddler Luke Richardson joins Brooklyn concertina player

Jody Kruskal for a CD of 19 old-time tunes ranging from

classic chestnuts to rare melodies seldom played.

I've been working on this project for over a year and I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My latest CD called Waiting for the Boatsman is almost ready. View the details and front cover here.

Be sure to post a link so we can all buy this! Sounds like a great project.

• 4 weeks later...

Will do Jim.

So... this project is nearing completion. The graphics are done and the final mix is ready. If all goes well, the CDs will arrive in two weeks and then another two weeks after that, they will be available for online purchase and digital download. Don't expect to be able to stream this project on spotify or like platforms anytime soon.

I'm very pleased and proud of this music. Would it be right to say I'm chuffed? I think so. It does sound that good.

Here is the story that is printed inside the wallet.

Luke and Jody started playing old-time tunes together in Brooklyn, NY around 2013. After playing at numerous sessions, parties and festivals and just a week before Luke was to move out of town to England, they realized that their duet sound required a CD. A year later, after many travels, the recording was completed and Luke headed back home, down to his ancestral Tennessee farm. So that’s the story... Southern boy plays fiddle for a few years in NYC and meets up with a rarity, an old-time Anglo concertina player. Luke and Jody present a North-South US tune connection that is unique, deeply felt, brash and beautiful.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Awesome! Will definitely be buying this one (download only though, I actually don't own a CD player!)

Make sure to send the links!

Congratulations on your use of the word chuffed by the way - very British of you ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my latest CD project. We cut one of the tunes, so now it's a total of 18 tracks, all keepers. The manufacturer has promised delivery by July 22, just in time to bring it down to the Clifftop festival in West Virginia where Luke and I plan to sit under a shady tree, playing our tunes and hawking our ware.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Just an update on my latest CD project. We cut one of the tunes, so now it's a total of 18 tracks, all keepers. The manufacturer has promised delivery by July 22, just in time to bring it down to the Clifftop festival in West Virginia where Luke and I plan to sit under a shady tree, playing our tunes and hawking our ware.

Any news on when we can get a copy in the UK? digital if possible :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I want to revisit my latest Old Time fiddle and concertina project. Luke and I got two fine reviews for our "Waiting for the Boatsman" recording that I would like to share:

The following reviews have been gently paraphrased and greatly condensed:

“Music played for its own sweet sake, and very sweet it is, too. Lovely stuff and a real delight!”

- Rod Stradling / Musical Traditions, December 2017 http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/boatsman.htm

"Kruskal’s skill (on the concertina) creates a wonderful hybrid, one full of a rich palette of tones and a buoyant rhythm that perhaps even a Southern string band would struggle to create. (With his) unique colorings of fairground calliope and ragtime piano qualities, Kruskal becomes almost a blues harp player. A very good recording with lots of variety. Superb!"

- Bill Wagner - Old Time Herald, December 2017

Listen to clips, buy the CD or download mp3s here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jodykruskal6

Edited by Jody Kruskal