Congratulations To Jim

I don't think that concertinist is a 'proper' word; concertina player, well hopefully. Certainly something to aspire to.

Dave,

Does this mean you also prefer "organ player" to "organist", "guitar player" to "guitarist", "violin player" to "violinist", etc., etc., etc. ?

I would think the opposite, that the "-ist" suffix suggests more status, as in "X is only a piano player, but Y is a pianist".

Or maybe you think it pretentious ? I will admit that it does have rather an "old-fashioned" ring to it, but perhaps that is because of the lowly status our beloved instrument is perceived as having.

Stephen

P.S. Thinking some more about this, most of us probably come to the concertina via folk music, in which case we would probably say "guitar player", rather than "guitarist", and even "fiddler", rather than "violin player", never mind "violinist".

In which case, given that our chosen instrument is often referred to as a "squeezebox" (or a "squashbox" in Zululand), and the Irish preference to descrbe a button accordion (and sometimes, by extension, a concertina) as a "box", or an "accordionist" as a "box player", maybe we should all be known as "boxers", and not just Jim (the Heavyweight Champion of us all) ?

Of course, there is always "boxist" as an alternative, but I don't think it would win many votes.

Edited to add Postscript.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In which case, given that our chosen instrument is often referred to as a "squeezebox" (or a "squashbox" in Zululand), and the Irish preference to descrbe a button accordion (and sometimes, by extension, a concertina) as a "box", or an "accordionist" as a "box player", maybe we should all be known as "boxers",...

Then we could join together to stage a "boxer rebellion", and take over the world! :ph34r:

Edited by JimLucas

...After all, nobody says "violaist", "celloist", or "pianoist".

But you don't drop the "a" and get "mandolist" or "violist" either. I'm scratching my head to think of other instruments ending in "a".

I think you're OK if it ends in an "o", just by droping the "o", (oboe is "oe" and a law unto itself) but not with an "a".

Robin Madge

(editied when I remembered the oboe)

Edited by Robin Madge

...After all, nobody says "violaist", "celloist", or "pianoist".

But you don't drop the "a" and get "mandolist" or "violist" either. I'm scratching my head to think of other instruments ending in "a".

"Violist", definitely!

"Mandolist" might also be proper, but the mandola is uncommon enough that it wouldn't be recognized and might create confusion, seeming an improper shortening of "mandolinist". But probably "mandola player" is sufficient.

How about "Victrolist"? Like "gramophonist", though I think I like "gramophony" better. :)

"Mandolist" might also be proper, but the mandola is uncommon enough that it wouldn't be recognized and might create confusion, seeming an improper shortening of "mandolinist".  But probably "mandola player" is sufficient.

It may not be commonplace, but "mandolist" is proper, I have come across it used to describe a mandola player.

• 2 weeks later...
You appear to be in severe danger of receiving a fresh "Honour" in the next couple of days !

And you Stephen are heading to the transfer from "Advanced Member" to "Chatty Concertinist". Comparing "Advanced" with "Chatty", I see it as a serious degradation, that is not compensated by the upgrading from "Member" to "Concertinist"

I admit that I am also approaching horrible moment :huh: :unsure: :( :angry: :ph34r:

Henk

Comparing "Advanced" with "Chatty", I see it as a serious degradation, that is not compensated by the upgrading from "Member" to "Concertinist"

Agreed, but then, I could never claim to be any kind of "Advanced Concertinist", and as for "Chatty Member" ...

I admit that I am also approaching horrible moment  :huh:  :unsure: :(  :angry:  :ph34r:

Commiserations !

(I know how it feels.)

You appear to be in severe danger of receiving a fresh "Honour" in the next couple of days !

That assumes that 1000 is the next boundary. I'll admit that it seems reasonable, but maybe for fun Ken set it at 1111, or some such. :)

What will it be ? :unsure:

Ah, therre's the question. "Knockout Boxer"? (For which I could be "knocked out" of the Forum?) "Millennium Squeezer"? "Boxnoxious Poster"? "Rest-less Poster"? "Flying Fingers"? "Anaconda" (the "longest" squeezer on Concertina.net)?

Hurry with your own suggestions, and if Ken likes one well enough, he just might substitute it for whatever is currently waiting in the wings.

....Right, Ken?

What will it be ? :unsure:

Ah, therre's the question. ... "Anaconda" (the "longest" squeezer on Concertina.net)?

No, can't use that, that's a mega Serpent ! (You know, like Colin Dipper plays !)

Hurry with your own suggestions, and if Ken likes one well enough, he just might substitute it for whatever is currently waiting in the wings.

....Right, Ken?

How about "Boxaholic" ? :)

Edited by Stephen Chambers