E-Rolls In Lucy Campbell's Reel

wes

Wondering if any of the advanced musicians on here would like to have a go at deciphering the repeated "roll"? that Noel Hill executes in this third tune of a set that I'm currently fussing with. https://youtu.be/GtQNDJjDvds

I have transcribe! but it doesn't help much. If you've been to his advanced classes maybe you have insight on this choice of fingerings and notes. The reel is in A and close as I can get is egee. You hear the roll in the first measure; pickup notes c# b,then e f# e followed by the "roll" and it's repeated in every measure of the first section. Any takers?

Btw, I think this set with Alec Finn's accompaniment is such a pinnacle of this genre. I could do without the bellows shake in the air but that's just me.

I believe you'll find he is playing an E-G-E roll. The starting sequence appears to be as follows, note that I am using lowercase letters for the higher octave and caps for the lower octave.

e c# B E F# E E-G-E -- e c# B e G# B c# F# F#

I'm never certain of the keys Noel plays in because some of the concertinas he uses in performances are not tuned to modern C/G.

Regardless, for this tune I'd be more likely to drop the key to G and do a D-A-D roll in that spot as follows:

d B A D E D D-A-D -- d B A d F# A B E E

Edited to add: By the way, those two sequences in Noel's key flow much easier on a Jeffries layout. On a Wheatstone layout you are forced to jump a finger between buttons at one point in the first group, either between the c# and B or the B and E. You'll want to play the push e before the G# in that second group, otherwise you have to jump two rows from the pull e to G# regardless of the layout if you are playing on a 30-button. Also play the push B after G# on a Wheatstone or you'll have to jump a finger from the pull B to the c#.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey

Thank for the detailed response, Bruce. In the last day or so I have being playing it in G, and the d roll on the pull is much easier.

I hadn't thought about the different layouts and when in the A key, I have had to switch from pull e in some measures then back to push e to be able to play it at at least 75% of speed and it causes me to stumble. The set does sound more exciting in A, I do think.

I'll try out what you wrote out and see how it sounds:)

I'm hearing more than a straight roll..no high cran but it could be the execution speed. In the preceding reel: ladies pantelletes, after the AG#Bc# is the d push with a very rounded curious sound. Best I can come up with is a near simultaneous push G top row with a flick c# on the right. Call me weird but i find this intriguing.

Wes, I copied the audio and played the first eight notes in a loop at 1/10th speed. Even stopped it and explored it in depth, walking back and forth and pausing on each tone. It's just a E-G-E roll, no other tones in there. He might do something more exotic later in the tune, but not to start with. If you want to PM me and give me your email address I can send you a copy of that short 1/10th speed sound clip.

I could see how a c# might readily fit in there as a E-c#-G-E if you were good enough and fast enough, and certainly Noel is, so maybe he does it later in the tune.

Regardless, either way it appears to me that you have a solid handle on this now.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey