Howdy, Ya'll.

Aldon

Hey ya'll. My, the new forum looks mah-velous. (And you all too, you look mah-velous...) It's been a while since I checked in, so this is a pleasant surprise.

It's great to see you all are still around. I also saw several names that were new to me. Welcome to all newbies - myself included! (See it says so on the left!) Howdy to all oldies!

Just wanted to say hi! :D

If you want to increase your post count or would like to say hello please feel free to do so here. :P

I really like the new format. You?

All the best,

Aldon

Edited by Aldon

-I prefer the other format--it was easier to use --to tell you the truth -this new format is somewhat of a pain in the "bellows" to use!!!

I've learned to work with it, and to be honest, there were things about the old format that drove me nuts, too.

But note that Cornelia, wife of our host, Paul, wrote in post #807 (after talking about her kids):

This forum setup has really freed up time for the other family member, so I think it's great.

So if for that reason alone, we should not demand nor expect much change.

So if for that reason alone, we should not demand nor expect much change.

Fair comment, and I think that I can get on with the new forum, but I still miss the tree listing...

Not saying that anyone else should, but I think I'll not discuss this topic in future. Thanks again to Paul for doing it all in the first place.

Chris

My sentiments exactly. The new forum is most certainly, to me, a pain. It doesn't serve me, the user, as well as the old one. I don't use it as often and I don't read as much because I don't have time to go scouting for new posts. It definitely takes mor time. Others have different opinions.

However, Paul's post at the C.net News forum clearly identifies several of the reasons why he made the change (an earlier post also indicated more specifically the problems he and Ken were having with SPAM), and I for one do not begrudge him his reasoning and choice.

"Thanks again to Paul for doing it all in the first place."

...I don't read as much because I don't have time to go scouting for new posts. ...

To scout for new posts all you have to do is click on the "View New Posts" link at the top right of your screen and they're all served up for you. I find this system quicker to use, actually ...

Samantha

I like the improved functionality, especially the ability to post pictures, but for convenience the tree structure was, for me, more convenient.

Never the less, I echo Chris's thoughts, and express thanks to Paul, and accept with gratitude that which is there!

Dave

Hey, again! When I first ran into a discussion forum like this I was perplexed, but came to appreciate it over time. It is faster to scroll from reply to reply, rather than have to re-load another page like the old way required -- especially for those of us who still use dial-up. B) And the Smilies are cool, IMVHO, but I'm aware that some people despise :angry: them. Sorry, I couldn't resist! :P Oops, there I go again :P So exactly what is the one in the bottom right of the Smilies screen supposed to be anyway? Bigfoot? Ninja? Abraham Lincoln? I don't get it.... :ph34r: :ph34r: . Okay the html for it is ph34r with colons on either side. Is that a clue? :ph34r: :huh:

To scout for new posts all you have to do is click on the "View New Posts" link at the top right of your screen and they're all served up for you.

It seems so simple. Except that no, they are not "all served up to you". Only the most recent post. Beyond that you must scout. I don't have time for it. I won't do it.

To scout for new posts all you have to do is click on the "View New Posts" link at the top right of your screen and they're all served up for you.

It seems so simple. Except that no, they are not "all served up to you". Only the most recent post. Beyond that you must scout. I don't have time for it. I won't do it.

Its nearly that simple press the My Assistant link (top right of the main screen) you will get a pop up telling you how many messages there are since you last looked. Press View and the topics will be listed. On each topic click the little down arrow thingy and you will be taken to the first un-read post in that topic. Read all the new posts in that topic then press your browser Back button to go back to the topic listing page and repeat fron the little down arrow thingy bit.

There I told you it was easy :)

An even easier approach, IMO, is to look at the right hand column for the date and time of the most recent post. I usually have a pretty good idea of when I was last on, and if the time of the post is later than last time I looked, I go to it; I can also see what other posts may be new to me.

Remember, fellow squeezers, that although figuring out this new system may be like learning a new fingering system, it will be worth the effort. I really hate to think that some of you whose posts I have enjoyed over the years are going to eschew this noble forum for want of a little effort and patience -- Tom

:rolleyes: I do the same thing Tom Hall does. I know this works for me because I am on Concertina.net every day. I guess I am addicted, but I don't go much of anywhere else so a music addiction is okay. (I mean I don't go anywhere else on the internet, I do manage to get out of my house and go to work,etc.)

Anyway, I find it easiest to look at the right side to see the date and time of the latest post and go from there.

For some reason when I hit go to latest post, I always end up at the last post in that section even if I have not read earlier posts.

I never said I was internet literate. :unsure:

I agree with Tom and Helen. I've given up the "view new posts" buttons, either on the web page or the assistant, because it doesn't know what you've seen and what you haven't: it only knows what's been posted since some arbitrary time it's calling the last time you logged on. Earlier today, I logged on briefly to copy a recent post for cross-posting on rec.music.makers.squeezebox. When I logged on later to concertina.net, none of the posts that had accumulated between the time I last read posts and the time I copied my post were listed as new posts.

Also, as I write this, I have not finished reading my unread posts, but I know that as soon as I post this, my time will be updated to now, also screwing up any attempt to keep track of unread posts by the system.

When you first log on, the system tells you when you were on last. I usually subtract a half hour or so from that and read everything posted since that time (as listed on the right).

Oh yeah, the listing of "most recent" posts on the right....

Mine are all showing dates back in August. Is there some setting I have to change to get it to show the real "most recent" dates and times? Does anybody else have this problem?

On the other hand, my "unread" marks *don't* update when I post a message. But the "new posts" highlighting of Forums often doesn't update even when I leave concertina.net and return, unless I close my browser in between. I still haven't figured out all the factors influencing things like that, and so far they just seem inconsistent.

Oh yeah, the listing of "most recent" posts on the right....

Mine are all showing dates back in August. Is there some setting I have to change to get it to show the real "most recent" dates and times? Does anybody else have this problem?

I don't understand this one, but if you haven't made sure (through your user page) that the system knows what time zone you're in and whether or not DST is in effect, I'd see to that.