Scholer Concertinas

richard

Hello

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or information on Scholer concertinas. I'm curious about their history and how anyone feels they compare to other concetinas of that type.

Thanks,

Richard

My first concertina was a "Scholer". It was a gift, and the first concertina I ever saw. Unfortunately, it was in no pitch known to man and could not be played with other instruments, at least if you had any sensitivity to intonation. After a few weeks of arm-tiring effort, one of the brass reeds broke. As all of the reeds were attached to one plate, and I could find no source of replacement. The whole instrument was toast - at least as a concertina. I eventually found a Bastari, which was a much better instrument, when compared to the Scholer, and so my concertina playing could continue. The Scholer became very valuable to me, soon after. It became my tuning bellows, on which I have tuned hundreds of concertinas. I am not familiar with ALL Scholers, so I cannot say what they are all like, just the one I owned, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. Other Scholers may be better than this one. The one I had was probably made over 25 years ago, and may not represent newer instruments.

Edited by Frank Edgley

Scholer concertinas were made at Klingenthal, in Saxony, when it was the German Democratic Republic. They were the continuation of a tradition of concertina making, in Klingenthal, since 1853, and were little different to the German concertinas of that time. After German reunification, the elderly couple who manufactured Scholer sold the business to one of the accordion factories in the town, who still make traditional German concertinas.