Alf Edwards' Concertina Sold On Ebay

Stephen Chambers

Howdy:

I recently located these photographs of Alf Edwards which are available for purchase (not cheap!!!!!) at

http://www.redferns.com/

After you get to the site, search for Alf Edwards name.

I'd like to have one or two of these but cheap they ain't.

The prints are not the original prints. They are no doubt printed on demand.

Have fun,

Perry Werner

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently located these photographs of Alf Edwards which are available for purchase (not cheap!!!!!) at

Taken at Centre 42 performances/rehearsals, with Bert Lloyd, Ewan MacColl & Peggy Seeger I see.

If you search under concertina, there are a couple of shots of our "Inventor", Brian Hayden, plus one of Scan Tester, all taken at the 1966 Keele Folk Festival.

If you search under concertina, there are a couple of shots of our "Inventor", Brian Hayden, plus one of Scan Tester, all taken at the 1966 Keele Folk Festival.

... and if you look under "melodeon" you'll find another one of Brian, wearing a top-hat and playing "one of them", taken at the same festival. :blink:

Edited to add:

... and a couple more of each, including one of Scan playing the tambourine, if you search under their names.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 2 years later...

Thanks Stephen.

I'm pretty sure that , if it weren't for Alf's ability to read the dots so well,'The Celebrated Working Man's Band' on Topic's Iron Muse wouldn't have got from Bert Lloyd's research on NE 'miners' '' tunes into the recording. It had a big impact on young players seeking authenticity. Even though many of those older tunes were being superceded by modern muisc and instruments. Players such as Colin Ross and Alistair Anderson benefited from his ability and led to further contacts with musicians still playing the older tunes for social and display dances.

He was a definite link to musicians who had lived a bit!

• 1 year later...
Is this the same instrument? eBay Auction

-Patrick

Well, the serial number matches, and the seller seems legit (has sold at least two concertinas before, including one to Chris Algar). I wonder what the story is here...

Yes, it is the same instrument. And the story here, is that the seller, Anthony Green, is a friend of Stephen Chambers. Stephen sold the Edwards concertina to him a while back and Anthony subsequenly did try once before, 2 or 3 years ago, from memory, to sell it on Ebay but there were no bidders because he was asking a lot of money for it, a lot more than he is asking now.

Chris

Is this the same instrument? eBay Auction

-Patrick

Well, the serial number matches, and the seller seems legit (has sold at least two concertinas before, including one to Chris Algar). I wonder what the story is here...

Yes, it is the same instrument. And the story here, is that the seller, Anthony Green, is a friend of Stephen Chambers. Stephen sold the Edwards concertina to him a while back and Anthony subsequenly did try once before, 2 or 3 years ago, from memory, to sell it on Ebay but there were no bidders because he was asking a lot of money for it, a lot more than he is asking now.

Thanks for the info. I had thought from Stephen's posts that he bought the concertina to keep rather than to re-sell, but I guess I was mistaken.