Yg? Yc?

nils

It must be catching, I can see letters on my fretwork!

Hmm. On the left I see what looks like "£", then "&", then "Co". Clearly, badge engineering for "Sterling & Co." :)

Then again, that could be just an "L" on the left... standing for "left", of course. They seem to have gotten the "C" for "center" too far to the right, obscuring the "R", but they've acknowledged their error with the "&" and little "o", so the whole thing reads: "Left, & Center offset"! :D

• 1 month later...
Sally Army Initials Here's a nice example of a Sally Army one.  Is this a Jones?

Yep, Jones had the Salvation Army contract at that time. It was only when Jones closed down that Lachenal's got the contract and started to make concertinas with the initials SA worked into the name oval in the fretwork. Salvation Army concertinas tend to be in Ab/Eb to play in the same keys as brass instruments.

Yep, Jones had the Salvation Army contract at that time. It was only when Jones closed down that Lachenal's got the contract and started to make concertinas with the initials SA worked into the name oval in the fretwork. Salvation Army concertinas tend to be in Ab/Eb to play in the same keys as brass instruments.

I have a nice little Jones G/D that is the twin of that one. I have always assumed that it started life as an Ab/Eb for the reason Stephen gives.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
There are initials in the fretwork of my New Model. Does anybody know the meaning?

Nils

How about a photo of another New Model for comparison? This photo was taken by Paul Read, before he sold the instrument to me. Although the pattern is not the same, the "y" seems to be present, so is not unique to Nils' concertina.

post-516-1122079939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Humphrey