Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game 2007

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, Wes has finessed Lordship Lane, which if am not mistaken permits me to call semi-knip and one free roll of the dice. And ... it's double seven, so I go straight to -

Old Kent Road

(Thinks: that should have lost 'em).

Chris

Oh! Clever! Clever,

Bear with me a bit while I play the "Gruntfuttock's Posture" card and circle around to Paddington

That'll throw them.

Good to see a bit of civilisation has entered an otherwise Norf Lundun game. Old Kent Road? Lordship Lane? why, thats enough to

Turnham Green!

Chris

Nar Lundun is spelt Lunnon darn be White 'art Lane where I was born. Can't member nar wot I wos gonnar revoke/invoke revolt.

Orf to Seven Sisters

Chas

Memorabley done! You're certainly on the right line with Turnham Green

http://www.linnaeus.uu.se/online/index-en.html

There must be something happening at Kew this year.

So we'll go there.

There are lots of celebrations going on over here.

Should be able to claim something with that.

Chas

Edited by fidjit

Nar Lundun is spelt Lunnon darn be White 'art Lane where I was born. Can't member nar wot I wos gonnar revoke/invoke revolt.

Chas

Nar bollicks, Lundun aint spellt Lunnon daurn Sauf. Whytart Lane carnt claym the onlie puritty ov speetch. Chris woz right for us Suverners! Asfor me, "one was ectually" born in Surrie, buttit wozzin graytor Lundun.

Asfor me, "one was ectually" born in Surrie, buttit wozzin graytor Lundun.

I was born in Surrey, too, but the Politicians try to tell us that it's in London, now. Croydon has not moved! Mind you, others seem to suggest that it is Europe...........clearly they can't read a map! Politicians, who would believe what they say? :unsure:

Regards,

Peter.

PS - whose move next?

I was born in Surrey, too, but the Politicians try to tell us that it's in London, now. Croydon has not moved! Mind you, others seem to suggest that it is Europe...........clearly they can't read a map! Politicians, who would believe what they say? :unsure:

<musical interlude>

Colin Searle on piano - plays "Theme from Bridge Over the River Croy"

</ musical interlude>

<musical interlude>

</ musical interlude>

Wes, as you probably know, we have two mighty rivers in Croydon, the Wandle and the Bourne. Think the latter scans better! :D

Regards,

Peter.

Regards,

Peter.

PS - whose move next?

Cockfosters!

I worked in Cockfosters in the 1970's. Do I remember an advert on the tube for a certain antipodean larger along the lines of "Do you know the way to Cockfosters? Yes, mate. Drink it warm."

Following a classic example from my hero Willy Rushton when in exactly this position, I play -

The Hangar Lane Gyratory System

Howard

Following a classic example from my hero Willy Rushton when in exactly this position, I play -

The Hangar Lane Gyratory System

Neat! For the benefit of newcomers to the game Howard has employed a double-reverse undercut to open up the North-South diagonal and simultaneously restrict other players to single-file progressions. This severely limits my options, but I'm pretty certain that ... yes, I can still go

South Ealing

with feeling.

Chris

South Ealing

with feeling.

Chris

Bad move, Chris; opens up so many possibilities in what I thought was a defensive game.

In the third parallel, I play:

Victoria

Oh, how I long for 2010 (ish) to be able to use the new stations "down south".

Peter.

No. No Pete a mistake you have to shoot with both barrels or more. Go to Jail, don't pass you know what and don't take £200.

I'll play Totteridge & Whetstone

Which is a triple. So there!

Chas

<musical interlude>

</ musical interlude>

Ah, in my youth I did linger long appreciating the delicate scents and rustic charm of the Valley of Saffron, ie Croydon. A tranquil backwater, so surprising full of architectural treasures. What pleasure there was in my daily journey on the 166 bus, the friendly scrum of schoolboys at the bus stop, the cheery wave of the bus driver as he went by without stopping, the rickety vibration of the traditional one-man-operated DMS bus. Oh to witness again the traditional cultural activities of the trusty locals on Croydon High Street of a Friday night. I feel a true ache in my heart that I have been exiled to the tedious wastelands of the Chiltern Hills.

As for Totteridge and Whetstone, very clever orbital move, right to the point, but most people would be too frightened to play it, sitting on the Northern Line pointing straight at you-know-where, though it is of course quite safe, knip or no knip. Bit out on a limb over there, keeping the double-barrelled theme, I play

Finchley Road and Frognal