Theme Of The Month, March 2015: Jigs

Jim Besser

I have now owned a rather lovely anglo for all of two days! First tune I've learnt to a reasonable degree is one of my favourites, the South Downs Jig by Jim Harding, which is nice and straightforward :D

https://soundcloud.com/robotmay/south-downs-jig-1

It's so nice having more options for accompaniment than on the melodeon, and I'm already working on a tune in Gm which I couldn't even attempt on my 2-row D/G box.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now owned a rather lovely anglo for all of two days! First tune I've learnt to a reasonable degree is one of my favourites, the South Downs Jig by Jim Harding, which is nice and straightforward :D

It's so nice having more options for accompaniment than on the melodeon, and I'm already working on a tune in Gm which I couldn't even attempt on my 2-row D/G box.

Only two days? First tune? Amazing!

Lovely tune and beautifully played - have you done anything else in the last two days apart from play your new anglo?

Thanks! I have been playing it at pretty much every opportunity, including sat in the car at a motorway service station :D

Only two days? First tune? Amazing!

Thanks! I did have a bit of a head-start in that I play quite a lot of tunes in the upper octave of the melodeon, so once I figured out the different cross-row fingering it started making more sense. And it's awesome being able to play across both sides of the instrument :)

It's a bit warmer and sunnier here today so I felt an Italian jig coming on:

Tarantella di Ronciglione as a single line melody and Tarantella Calabria with a few chords, played on our old Wheatstone English.

Some loss of concentration towards the end but I've decided to stick with the first take anyway.

Tarantella di Ronciglione as a single line melody and Tarantella Calabria with a few chords, played on our old Wheatstone English.

Some loss of concentration towards the end but I've decided to stick with the first take anyway.

Very nice variation Jignatius! I particularly like the second one (with the harmony in parallel thirds, a thing I'm doing very rarly, positivly works here)!

Best wishes - Wolf

I was hoping we'd get some Italian tunes! Thanks.

Very nice variation Jignatius! I particularly like the second one (with the harmony in parallel thirds, a thing I'm doing very rarly, positivly works here)!

Best wishes - Wolf

Thanks Wolf. The parallel thirds thing feels a bit lazy but it's nice for a bar or two sometimes. This tune also lends itself to sustaining notes to build chords.

<<I was hoping we'd get some Italian tunes! Thanks.>>

Aren't they great? I've only recently discovered them. Must look for some more.

Figured I'd record the other jig I've been learning this week; the lovely but somewhat of a pain New May Moon: https://soundcloud.com/robotmay/the-new-may-moon

I haven't quite got the coordination between my hands right yet, and I seem to have reverted to how I first learnt the melodeon: play it faster and hopefully the mistakes will just whizz past :blink:

Figured I'd record the other jig I've been learning this week; the lovely but somewhat of a pain New May Moon: https://soundcloud.com/robotmay/the-new-may-moon

I haven't quite got the coordination between my hands right yet, and I seem to have reverted to how I first learnt the melodeon: play it faster and hopefully the mistakes will just whizz past :blink:

Your coordination sounds pretty darned good. And the speed seems fine. This strikes me as the kind of jig that sounds good at very different speeds.

Your coordination sounds pretty darned good. And the speed seems fine. This strikes me as the kind of jig that sounds good at very different speeds.

I second that!

Here are two Northumbrian Jigs. Lamb Skinnet & Wood Nunrich Fair

Lamb Skinnett I learned off Theo Gibb (who is a member here) and Wood Nunrich Fair I found in a book of tunes for Northumbrian Pipes.

Multi tracked with Morse CG Anglo, Tenor ukulele and bass recorder. I used pitch shift in Audacity to lower the bass recorder an octave to give a proper bass sound. I have a contrabass recorder which is an octave below the bass recorder but it's rather large and needs a lot of breath so it's a bit difficult to record with. I decided to pitch shift a standard bass recorder instead.

I must get round to listening to some of the other entries and commenting, now.

Edited by Tootler

Here are two Northumbrian Jigs. Lamb Skinnet & Wood Nunrich Fair.

Lamb Skinnett I learned off Theo Gibb (who is a member here) and Wood Nunrich Fair I found in a book of tunes for Northumbrian Pipes.

Multi tracked with Morse CG Anglo, Tenor ukulele and bass recorder. I used pitch shift in Audacity to lower the bass recorder an octave to give a proper bass sound. I have a contrabass recorder which is an octave below the bass recorder but it's rather large and needs a lot of breath so it's a bit difficult to record with. I decided to pitch shift a standard bass recorder instead.

I must get round to listening to some of the other entries and commenting, now.

I'm getting a 'not found' message. Can you recheck the link?

I second that!

Thanks guys! I've been playing it a lot more this weekend and think I've got a better hang of it now. Also been attempting that first part of the B section which was annoying me.

I was introduced to another fun jig this weekend which fits really well on the concertina, might get that recorded before the end of the month too :)

I second that!

Thanks guys! I've been playing it a lot more this weekend and think I've got a better hang of it now. Also been attempting that first part of the B section which was annoying me.

I was introduced to another fun jig this weekend which fits really well on the concertina, might get that recorded before the end of the month too :)

Looking forward to listening to that too...!