Suggestions For Future Tunes Of The Month

Jim Besser

You asked for it, here it is.

Have tunes you've always wanted to learn but haven't gotten around to yet? Have a great tune you want to share with other concertinists? Have a tune you play but would like to see how others play?

Respond here and your suggestions may end up in a TOTM poll!

jb

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of sugestions:

First, here's a beautiful french tune, "adieu les filles de mon pays" which really lends itself to moody expression.

It's also quite an easy tune to learn.

Here's an example in keeping with the mood of the lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN0gqkpodQU

And a more bouncy example:

The second tune I'd like to suggest is Andy Cutting's "In Continental Mood". It's a challenging but rewarding tune to play.

Here's the man himself playing it (first tune).

• 5 weeks later...

A Zwiefacher is a fun bavarian dance which is characterized by a rhythm constantly varying between 2/4 and 3/4 within the same tune. Each Zwiefacher is different in that the changes between 2/4 and 3/4 will occur in unpredictable patterns different for each dance.

This is a fairly well known example:

http://www.stammtischmusik.at/noten/aberdochsn.htm

Don't ask about the lyrics, but you may want to query YouTube for different examples of how it is played and/or danced:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ochsn+zwiefacher

I think it would be fun to see how people from different backgrounds cope with this idiosynchracy.

I was wondering, given the discussion elsewhere, whether we should try a tune that is decidedly not a dance tune.

That's a really good idea, David. So suggest some tunes!

All the music I know is dance music (except, of course, the Swedish walking tunes, or ganglats). I arrived in Washington a little over an hour ago. We'll brainstorm over dinner Thursday.

Hi
For a next time, what about "les poules huppées" ?
It's certainly a tune that can be played in many different ways. Originally a bourrée, it is also often played as a mazurka. It's actually on the "anglo international" in this style. (i don't find the sleeves but i think it was by Bob Davenport).

I've also heard it played very slowly by Irish musicians.

I have put a recording sometime ago on my "old" myspace (see my signature)

PS (edited to correct) :

I found the sleeves for "anglo international". It is actually played by Nigel Chippendale (disk 1, track 10)

Edited by david fabre

>25 votes!

Maybe we should make it compulsory that if you vote, you make a recording. VEG ( very evil grin .... Can't find the smileys from this device.)

That would make for an excellently lively thread wouldn't it. (Says the man who's very aware he's still not yet posted his Parson's Farewell to the May thread :blink: )

I was wondering, given the discussion elsewhere, whether we should try a tune that is decidedly not a dance tune.

That's a really good idea, David. So suggest some tunes!

All the music I know is dance music (except, of course, the Swedish walking tunes, or ganglats). I arrived in Washington a little over an hour ago. We'll brainstorm over dinner Thursday.

Why not suggest an air (or at least song), f.i. an Irish one? As we all know there are lots of them, not just the Londonderry Air; we've got Raglan Road, Down by the Sally Gardens, or - expanding to the Scottish - The Last Rose of Summer...

Since I use to play them all I'm not willing to suggest any of the above-mentioned ones, but there are so many more... (even quite dancable ones like "The Jolly Beggar"...)

Hi

It's certainly a tune that can be played in many different ways. Originally a bourrée, it is also often played as a mazurka. It's actually on the "anglo international" in this style. (i don't find the sleeves but i think it was by Bob Davenport). I've also heard it played very slowly by Irish musicians.

"Crested Hens" is by Giles Chabanait (sp??) He wrote it when he was 16. Great tune and very flexible.

If you are looking at slow airs what about Hector the Hero, or Evlin Rose, or Eleanor of Usen, or Gow on Death of Second Wife or .... There are lots of lovely ones.

BarnDance: The Dances at Kinvara

Jig: The Woods of Old Limerick or Random (or Random Jig or Random Notes depending on who you talk to).

Waltz: Starry Night in Shetland or Svensk Annas Waltz or Halsa Dem Darhemma (sp?) or Maizeit (sometimes called Iver Berentsen's), or Mättsakukkia

Branles: The Horse Branle or The Rat Branle

Then there's Civil War stuff, Stephen Foster, Gay Nineties, 20s pop stuff (need to avoid copyrighted things I suppose or I'd suggest Stardust or September Song)

Happy to post abc and comments about any of these (except the copyrighted ones) if asked.

How about Autumn Leaves. Written in Paris in 1945 by the French-Hungarian composer Joseph Kosma. Made famous when Johnny Mercer wrote the American lyrics and reintroduced the song in the States in 1947.

Nat King Cole's vocals are classic.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kP8jPa1wCg

Here is Piaf's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2s2tPORlW4

Just saying....

rss

Edited by Randy Stein

Or some Scott Joplin (what am I saying - I have some guitar arrangements and I can't even play them on guitar!)

I actually have some Matueswitch arrangements of Joplin for the EC. Not for the faint of heart...

rss

How about Autumn Leaves. Written in Paris in 1945 by the French-Hungarian composer Joseph Kosma. Made famous when Johnny Mercer wrote the American lyrics and reintroduced the song in the States in 1947.

Just saying....

rss

I like it. The problem is, can we get notation without violating copyright?

I googled "Autumn Leaves" and "ABC" and came up with this. Obviously not the Nat King Cole version!

But if I can find notation that's legally available for free, I'll add it to an upcoming poll.

Hi

It's certainly a tune that can be played in many different ways. Originally a bourrée, it is also often played as a mazurka. It's actually on the "anglo international" in this style. (i don't find the sleeves but i think it was by Bob Davenport). I've also heard it played very slowly by Irish musicians.

"Crested Hens" is by Giles Chabanait (sp??) He wrote it when he was 16. Great tune and very flexible.

If you are looking at slow airs what about Hector the Hero, or Evlin Rose, or Eleanor of Usen, or Gow on Death of Second Wife or .... There are lots of lovely ones.

BarnDance: The Dances at Kinvara

Jig: The Woods of Old Limerick or Random (or Random Jig or Random Notes depending on who you talk to).

Waltz: Starry Night in Shetland or Svensk Annas Waltz or Halsa Dem Darhemma (sp?) or Maizeit (sometimes called Iver Berentsen's), or Mättsakukkia

Branles: The Horse Branle or The Rat Branle

Then there's Civil War stuff, Stephen Foster, Gay Nineties, 20s pop stuff (need to avoid copyrighted things I suppose or I'd suggest Stardust or September Song)

Happy to post abc and comments about any of these (except the copyrighted ones) if asked.

Good suggestions all. Crested Hen is a wonderful tune; I used to play Horse Branie, and remember that it was lots of fun.

Just saying....

rss

I like it. The problem is, can we get notation without violating copyright?

I googled "Autumn Leaves" and "ABC" and came up with this. Obviously not the Nat King Cole version!

But if I can find notation that's legally available for free, I'll add it to an upcoming poll.

I have the Matueswitch dots if needed.