Tunes For Northeast Squeeze In

Any suggestions for tunes I should work on in the next week and a half before I leave for Bucksteep? I play English concertina in an Irish slow session (and a tune or two in our regular session as well, though I usually play fiddle there) and for occasional tunes for ECD (though I usually play fiddle or viola d'amore, for tunes in D or Dm, there).

A jump start on repertoire (an idea from the Arran Squeeze In thread) seems like it might help.

There's no predicting what will be played at NESI, with one exception. Saturday evening, after dinner and before the talent show, there is a processional from the lodge to the barn (where the show and the dance is). We all play the same tune, and it is generally available on paper from the beginning of the weekend. Perhaps if Rich knows what the tune will be, he can make the notation available here to give a little lead time for learning it.

Rich, if you have a scan of handwritten notation and send it to me, I can do it up in abc, and from there make a nice pdf that looks typeset.

Last year was my first squeeze-in. The processional tune "Noite de Veran" was learned by nearly everyone within half an hour, lovely harmonies too :) It would be nice to see the tune ahead of time though.

On a different note ...

Last year after the concert there was a singing session at the same time as the contra-dance. If I understood right, the two guys who usually organized it were not there. Will they be there this year? If not, maybe we could organize it a little beforehand so that people know when and where. There was also a call last year for some lyrics sheets so that people could sing along. I can bring some for the songs I would sing. Is there a photocopying facility at Bucksteep? Last year, the wireless internet at Bucksteep was really useful, looking up the lyrics to sea shanties on Mudcat !

Last year was my first squeeze-in. The processional tune "Noite de Veran" was learned by nearly everyone within half an hour, lovely harmonies too :) It would be nice to see the tune ahead of time though.

We'd used that tune a couple of times, though not as many times as some others. Maybe it will make another appearance.
On a different note ...

Last year after the concert there was a singing session at the same time as the contra-dance. If I understood right, the two guys who usually organized it were not there. Will they be there this year?

Would that be Tony Hughes and David Cornell? I don't know if they organized it, but they sang the loudest, and both were absent last year.
If not, maybe we could organize it a little beforehand so that people know when and where. There was also a call last year for some lyrics sheets so that people could sing along. I can bring some for the songs I would sing. Is there a photocopying facility at Bucksteep?
Lyric sheets? No comment. :o
Last year, the wireless internet at Bucksteep was really useful, looking up the lyrics to sea shanties on Mudcat!
Agreed. I still remember the moment I noticed that WiFi base station (an Apple Airort) hanging on the wall over the front desk a couple of years ago. B)

See ya next week, Robin.

Last year after the concert there was a singing session at the same time as the contra-dance. If I understood right, the two guys who usually organized it were not there. Will they be there this year?

I don't know who they were (I was busy doing stuff elsewhere) but if you're referring to David Cornell and Tony Huges, both have registered to come this year. :)

If not, maybe we could organize it a little beforehand so that people know when and where. There was also a call last year for some lyrics sheets so that people could sing along. I can bring some for the songs I would sing. Is there a photocopying facility at Bucksteep?

The "organization" of what goes on at NESI is by everyone who comes. I suggest that you post a note on the events board when and where you'd like the beforehand to happen - and it will do so! The place IS WiFi 'd but there is no copy machine.... Bring copies of anything you'd like to share. Or maybe bring a small copy machine? Some of the scanner/printer types are really portable these days.

Tunes for NESI....

Last year, I wanted to be sure I knew something that others' would be playing. I worked on some of the tunes from the 'Dancing With Ma Baby' songbook (...not easy to find a copy, fyi), which is well-suited for English concertina.

This was fun and did prove to help when it came to playing with a group. But, really, it's not exactly what I tend to want to play when I pick up my concertina or accordion, and so I haven't really worked on that book much.

It seems I always want to play the one or two gypsy songs that I learned from an old Antal Kocze album (especially nice on PA). So, I've finally decided that 'gypsy' music is really my preference, if I have to say what type I like.

I like to play chords on my concertina, more than melody, though I fill in with some melody. So, I'm not particularly a 'trad' or an Irish-style player.

So, I doubt there's many EC players stocking-up on gypsy tunes, but, I'm sure I'll have fun chording along with whatever's going on!

Wendy,

I LOVE gypsy tunes. Oh. But I am not going. But hey, sometime, we can play gypsy tunes together.

Helen

But to those that are going, I hope you have tons of fun. I got to two music camps this year, well actually three, so I am blissful.

Bob is the one who usually comes up with the "walking tune" to the concert. He said that he'd bring it into work today so I can post it here (if it's in reasonable condition - if not, I'll send it to you, David, for processing).

Voila!

post-65-1126232306_thumb.jpg

Rich says:

Bob [Snope, the Button Box's master craftsman--DB] decided to compose a special one for the event! Pretty nice too, easy and has lots of harmony and counterpoint possibilities.
I have an editorial question in to Rich about the rhythm in the 1st measure of the 2nd ending in the A section, which is different from how the same figure appears elswhere in the tune. But I suspect it is correct as written. If Rich confirms that, I'll edit out this paragraph*. If the tune needs to be edited, I'll make that clear later.

[*Edited 9/11/05 to add: As the above paragraph is quoted for discussion below, I will not delete it, however it has been made clear that the notation is correct as originally posted.]

I have a pdf of it, as well (higher resolution) if anyone wants it. This version looks perfectly legible, however. A print of the pdf will be passed out at the event.

For anyone that wants it, here is the abc code:

X:1
T:The Road to Bucksteep
C:Bob Snope
N:Composed for the Northeast Squeeze-In, 2005
M:4/4
K:G
P:A
|:G4B4|d6G2|e3dc2B2|A8|F4A4|c6e2|1\
d3cB2A2|c4B4:|2d2c2B2A2|G6FG||
P:B
|:A2D2B2D2|c2A2A2B2|c3BA2G2|F6FG|\
A2D2B2D2|c2d2e4|d3cB2A2|1G6FG:|2G2F2E2D2||

Thanks, Bob, for the tune!

Edited for typo

Edited by David Barnert

I have an editorial question in to Rich about the rhythm in the 1st measure of the 2nd ending in the A section, which is different from how the same figure appears elswhere in the tune.

David, I looked at the music before I read the rest of your post, including the portion quoted above. Right away I thought to myself, "Oh, that's going to cause problems."

I suspect a lot of people will ignore the distinctive rhythm in that measure and simply play the dotted rhythm of its counterparts.

Wendy,

I LOVE gypsy tunes. Oh. But I am not going. But hey, sometime, we can play gypsy tunes together..................

Yeah, they are especially great on the PA!!! :) I've done more with them on PA than EC, so far. Great because of the row of diminished-chord buttons in the bass!

Okay, so, I'll practice some more!

For anyone that wants it, here is the abc code:

David,

Thank you for posting the abc code. I've been using abc a lot recently for learning tunes. I find that reading the standard musical notation while I play along with the audio helps a lot.

There's an interesting little bit of right hand fingering (on the EC) in the B part. A good exercise - and a pretty tune!

I have an editorial question in to Rich about the rhythm in the 1st measure of the 2nd ending in the A section, which is different from how the same figure appears elswhere in the tune.

As written feels very right to me. Gives a definite sense of transition into the B part, and also a very strong ending if you decide to end on the A part, rather than the B.

There's an interesting little bit of right hand fingering (on the EC) in the B part.

Though I hadn't really noticed when I read through the tune, I see where you mean. I'm curious what fingering you -- and others -- are using in B measures 1-2 and 5-6.

I'm curious what fingering you -- and others -- are using in B measures 1-2 and 5-6.

I hope I got this right (the notation, not the fingering):

measures 1-2: R1 R1 L2 R1 | R2 R1 R1 L2

measures 5-6: R1 R1 L2 R1 | R2 L1 R1

It's the fifth jump from A down to to D that I stumbled over for a while. Using the same finger for both notes limits how quickly I can play the whole tune.