Whitby Folk Week

I am just back from a fabulous week at Whitby. I was originally there with Kettle Bridge Clogs, who were dancing Saturday/Sunday/Monday. But I stayed on for the rest of the week.

Concertina highlights included:

-performances from John Kirkpatrick - solo concert performances plus dancing with Shropshire Bedlams and playing for Martha

Rhoden's Tuppeny Dish.

- Chris Sherburn (anglo concertina) with Denny Bartley (guitar & vocals), plus a 3rd player on fiddle (sorry did not catch her

name).

- Downes, Bradley, Downes. This refers to brothers Paul & Warwick Downes, with Martin Bradley on concertina. A mix of jazz &

bluegrass related music/songs. Really good.

- A complete concertina section in Dave Townsend's village band workshops. Also including string & wind sections + bass

section.

- An absolutely fabulous combination of Alistair Anderson and Dan Walsh. Dan plays banjo & guitar, and sings. He was one the

early students on the Newcastle University Traditional music degree course. Look out for a possible CD with this pairing later

in the year! Highly recommended.

This was my first visit to Whitby, and I had a great time!

- John Wild

Saw the Alistair Anderson / Dan Walsh duo in Stockport a couple of years ago, and really happy to hear they might be doing a record (although it'll struggle to capture the joyous egging-on and interplay of the live experience).

Also one of those live acts where the between-number business is a real part of the show.

Saw the Alistair Anderson / Dan Walsh duo in Stockport a couple of years ago, and really happy to hear they might be doing a record (although it'll struggle to capture the joyous egging-on and interplay of the live experience).

Also one of those live acts where the between-number business is a real part of the show.

A record can never completely capture a live performance - a video DVD might possibly manage it.