Fretwork Quality Versus Sound Quality

I have a question regarding assessing the quality of concertinas. There are so many assumptions made about certain types of instruments.

Does having coarse fretwork on a Jeffries or Wheatstone Linota mean that the quality of the reeds, sound or action is inferior to those same makes with highly ornate fretwork.

Is it possibe that the reeds and mechanisms are identical but just with plain ends? If this is correct, why would they put a cheaper end on a premium instrument?

Or could it mean that some Jeffries or Linotas were made to lesser specifications throught the instrument.

Hmmm

J.

This has been posted to the general forum as well....where do you want it J?

J:"Does having coarse fretwork on a Jeffries or Wheatstone Linota mean that the quality of the reeds, sound or action is inferior to those same makes with highly ornate fretwork."

Goran:Not necessarily....:-)

J:"Is it possibe that the reeds and mechanisms are identical but just with plain ends?"

Goran:That certainly happens with older instruments (like Jeffries) ..I'm a bit sceptical regarding Linota...are there any with elaborate fretworks...?

J:" If this is correct, why would they put a cheaper end on a premium instrument?"

Goran:Well...

1) Cost could be one understandable reason assuming that the buyer is not interested in the possible tonal effects from the ends.

2) A 'cheaper' (= more straightforward and usually more open) fretwork has less influence on sound...both allowing greater loudness and 'brighter' (more 'reedy') tone. Both loudness and 'brightness' (I would say roughness...) have been wanted for example among Anglo players particularly when playing outdoors.

I have come across quite a few (special order) instruments with 'top of the line' reedworks and mechanical outfit within a mediocre 'box'...and also some with the reverse...all possible external luxury features and a 'cheap line' interior...I guess having been ordered by someone wanting a prestige object for the mantelpiece but not much interested in making music with it.

J:"Or could it mean that some Jeffries or Linotas were made to lesser specifications throught the instrument."

Goran:Generally speaking this has been quite common....do have a look at old catalogue price lists. The fact that top line instruments may have costed 5-10 times as much as cheap line ones demonstrates some of it

Goran Rahm