"full Band", Barrel-Organ Style Arrangements?

Mikefule > When I speak of counter-melody I'm not really thinking about a complete second voice on the right hand, but more about very short ornaments of several notes that are played while the melody note is held down. Here again I don't have a precise word... But it's not very far from what you describe.

Jody Kruskal > That's an amazing analysis of the oom-pah pattern! There are many things you point out in your text that I had never thought about. It's really enlightening, thanks! I also agree with the idea that limitations sometimes help people to be more creative. I'm often amazed at the fact that anglo players come up with better arrangements than players of theoretically less limited concertinas; I think the fact that the instrument forces the player to find strategies to overcome its apparent limitations has something to do with it. The "thinking man's piano", as Mikefule referred to it!

Rod > Yes, I think I'll buy a bigger anglo at some point - or a duet, I'm still thinking about it.

Edited by ritonmousquetaire

Sure, 30 button would be far, far, far better, but 20 will work for lots of great stuff. Limitations are the stuff of invention and you can quote me on that.

I agree. Owning a 20 b has forced me to learn to play in the higher of the two main keys more often, with all the additional jiggerypokery needed to find the best accompaniment. It has made me think more about what the notes are and what the best chord are, and to improvise when the ideal option is not available. I play my 30 better because I have a 20.