Where To Find Teachers

btice

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I have wanted a concertina for quite some time and have decided that life is too short not to have one. I have opted for a simple Hohner 20 key Anglo. I also have some self-teaching books, but know that I can only go so far on my own. The concertina is not an instrument that you see every day here in El Paso, Texas. Does anyone know of concertina teachers in this area?

Also, (and I know this has probably been hashed over a bunch) is the choice between Anglo and English just a matter of preference? That one choice is what probably kept me from getting a concertina these past years. Brave, aren't I?

I appreciate you all taking the time to read this post.

Ben

I'd give a guy named Dan Alloway, who's apparently associated with KTEP folk radio, a call. I've seen his postings on Irish music elsewhere and he may know what's available around there. Don't forget to check out the learning page on the C.net home page for advice, and Chris Timson's site, if you haven't looked these over yet.

El Paso may not be a hotbed of concertina musicians, but, consolation prize: As you probably know, you have absolutely the best Mexican food anywhere, right around there. California and the rest of Texas, don't even bother to protest. New Mexico and El Paso have it hands down. Maybe you can send me a bucket of enchilada sauce and I can send you the John Williams tape.

Thanks for the reply, Stephen. Funny you mentioned KTEP; I never thought of them, even though I worked for them as an undergrad back in the 70's. I'll give it a shot. And if you want to work out a trade for a "bucket" of enchilada sauce, salsa and chips, just say the word. I think you're right about the Mexican food. It's hard to beat.

Ben

Also, (and I know this has probably been hashed over a bunch) is the choice between Anglo and English just a matter of preference?

It is a matter of preference, though there are many factors that enter into the preference, and different factors are important to different people. I think most people could be happy with either anglo or English (or duet), depending on what they want it to sound like.

But since you've already opted for the 20-button anglo, go with it, and see where it takes you. :)

El Paso may not be a hotbed of concertina musicians, but, consolation prize:  As you probably know, you have absolutely the best Mexican food anywhere, ...

Hey Ben, if you can't find any local Irish concertina players, maybe you should try playing Tex-Mex. You could probably work out a lot by listening to TM accordion players. ;)

Jim, thanks for the helpful info. There's TexMex music in abundance here and I'll bet I can hook up with someone with a little effort. It's going to be interesting, I can tell.

Ben