Rip Louisa Jo - Louis Killen - Singer And Concertina Player

The renowned singer and English concertina player Louisa Jo Killen, formerly better known as Louis Killen, following a gender change a few years ago, has died following a battle with cancer. On his return from America, some years ago, I saw and heard her sing several times, the last time being about 4 years ago at the Cumberland Arms, Byker, in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, on a singers night, prior to her sex change. Here is a link to an obituary of her written by Heather Wood.

http://singout.org/2013/08/10/louisa-jo-louis-killen-passes/

And here's a link to a video of her singing "Go to Sea Once More".

http://youtu.be/1P1cBK2NIww

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

The renowned singer and English concertina player Louisa Jo Killen, formerly better known as Louis Killen, following a gender change a few years ago, has died following a battle with cancer. On his return from America, some years ago, I saw and heard her sing several times, the last time being about 4 years ago at the Cumberland Arms, Byker, in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, on a singers night, prior to her sex change.

Sad to hear. S/he'll be greatly missed.

For me, Louis was an early and continuing inspiration, who became a friend, as well. A wonderful singer and story teller, he was at home both singing unaccompanied and accompanying himself on concertina. His style of accompaniment on the concertina was, I think, unusual, playing his treble English generally an octave higher than most folks do. It was most effective and, if I may say so, proof that a baritone concertina is not needed for effective accompaniment.

Louis/a was also a fine and generous person. After he moved to the US West Coast, with myself living on the East Coast, I didn't see him for years. Then in '95 I moved to Denmark, which put even more distance between us. But having heard that he had moved back to England, when I found myself heading for Newcastle about a year and a half ago (to deliver a couple of instruments to Theo Gibb for restoration), I tried to get in touch again. With the generous help of her friends, I succeeded. (That's when I learned that Louis was now Louisa.) Not only did she welcome getting together to talk of old times and what had happened since, but she offered me her sofa to sleep on while I was in the area and even loaned me her concertina to take to a few folk clubs and sessions. (I hadn't had room to take mine in my hand luggage along with those for Theo.)

I was hoping to see her again this coming September-October. I'm very sad that it's now too late, but very glad that I got the chance last year. We sat up late talking, and it was just like old times.

And a coincidence to make me wonder...

Just yesterday, while looking for some material for listening and possibly learning, I dug out my old WalkMan and some cassette tapes that I hadn't listened to in years. Two of the three are recordings of concerts Louis did in New York City -- at South Street Seaport in July 1977, and at the Eagle Tavern in April 1986. I was just about to start the first of these, to listen to as I continued at my computer, when I saw the subject of this thread.

So I'm sitting here listening to Louis as I write this, and what to my wondering ears should appear? The very first song is Shoals of Herring -- which is the subject of another new thread today, -- with Louis accompanying himself on concertina. I don't really believe in the supernatural, but every once in while I wonder if maybe I should. B)

Now I'll go learn a few more songs, to honor both Lou's memory and her love of the traditional songs... and because I, too, love the songs as I first heard them from her.

Edited by JimLucas

...Louis ... at South Street Seaport in July 1977....

Wow! When I started playing this recording, I didn't realize exactly which concert it was.

In the middle of Louis singing "Sailor Cut Down in His Prime", people started laughing, and a few seconds later the sound system died and they all started applauding. Why? Because the northeast power grid was suddenly cut down in its prime. (This was the second widespread power blackout in the US; the first was in 1965.)

The laughing began because the concert was outdoors on the pier at the South Street Seaport, and we the audience actually saw a wave of darkness flooding rapidly towards us down both sides of the East River. When the power outage reached the pier, the lights and sound suddenly died, and we all raised a cheer.

Then we all fell silent, and Louis finished the song, joined by at least a hundred other voices on the choruses. :)

Michael Quitt, a fine singer and concertina player who was a leading figure in the Baltimore (Md., USA) folk music scene at in the 1970s (and perhaps before), and still a song leader, posted the following on his Facebook page after he saw my announcement of this sad news. "BFMS" refers to the Baltimore Folk Music Society:

"The BFMS was privileged to have Louis/Louisa perform for us many years ago. It was one of the most memorable concerts that I can remember. It was afterward, at a party, where this great singer of sea songs, played a slow air on his concertina that stunned everyone into silence. The world has lost a great singer and a kind and sensitive person."

Probably the first concertina player I ever heard; Troubadour Club in Bristol, UK, c1966.

(I say "probably" because Alistair Anderson was on with the High Level Ranters either the week before or the week after!)

Particalarly remember Derwentwater's Farewell, one of my all time favourite tunes.

Never managed to catch another live performance, though I have several albums, a couple of which I played last night.

Great performer; will be sadly missed.

MC

Louisa Jo provided some brilliant accompaniment to wonderful singing. Worth many a listening.

I was surprised to find Louisa Jo was also a member of the Clancy Brothers for several years in the 1970s and responsible for lots of spirited banjo playing which can be seen and heard on you tube.

Greg

I was very sad to hear of the passing of Lou Killen. I first met him in 1961 at a folk event run by Tony Foxworthy as part of the University Arts Week in Newcastle upon Tyne. Tony told me about this wonderful new singer he had discovered. We (the King's College Morrismen) were performing Rapper, and later Lou came on and sung accompaning himself on the Banjo! He was truly a stunning singer.

Later that week there was a Film evening showing films made by the "Goons". We spotted each other in the queue and sat together. The films were absolutely appallingly awful, mostly out of focus; we agreed that the instrument they called a *Muckineese Battle Horn" was in fact a Serpent, (the instrument now played so ably by Colin Dipper). Afterwards we went out for a drink together, and that is when I started to get to know Lou.

He later introduced me to Jonny Handle another local singer, who played guitar and piano, and they were both starting to look at more traditional "English" instruments to explore for song accompaniment, such as concertinas and melodeons.

I left Newcastle around a year later but we ran into one another on infrequent occasions. At one event, by which time he had become a very compitent English concertina player I particularly remember him playing "The Lament for Auchrim" a tune quite unlike any other with long sustained but pulsed notes which I can only describe as the wailing of of women for their lost menfolk: in my mind I can hear him playing those notes now. Perhaps that is the slow air mentioned above.

Brian.

What a treasure of recordings Killen left behind.....certainly among the very best at singing sea songs. And because of the great skill and artistry of Killen and Alf Edwards, when many people today think of the sound of a 'nautical' concertina, what they have in mind is an English concertina.

Rest in peace.

Dan

Yes -- as has been said -- a great loss.

I remember, perhaps around five years ago, Louis was the visiting tutor at the Baring-Gould song school down in Devon and on the last night we were all in the pub in Bridestowe, doing the usual singaround with the usual mixed quality of such affairs. When it came round to Louis he (as she was then) sang the "Flying Cloud" -- stunning. There were 'civilians' as well as song-scholars there but you could most certainly have heard the proverbial pin drop. One of those occasions when a chunk of music happens by and it just knocks you back on your heels.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I caught, and liked, that "Last Word" piece as well -- The other contributor was Sam Lee, very much younger but also a great singer of traditional song.

There is also a couple of pages in the current EFDSS magazine.

Chris

See if this link works. Otherwise go the the BBC Website radio pages and search for the programme in the a to z listing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039dbk6

program v programme seems to be another instance of American english and English English differring.

regards

John

Edited by John Wild

Unlike the TV programmes, BBC4 radio is available outside the UK. :)

...Jim, when did you start spelling "programs" with two m's?

...program v programme seems to be another instance of American english and English English differring.

I'm sure David knows that, and he was only asking why I, an American, was using British spelling.

Well, seeing that I was responding to someone British about something British, I thought it would be polite to attempt the "local" language. ;)