Rare H Boyd Concertina For Sale

H Boyd Concertina

Hey, Jenny and John! No hard feelings please! John really wants the concertina and has the money ready - and Jenny needs it.

My suggestion: Jenny, add the "or best offer" option to your ebay-auction and accept John's offer as agreed. That way both sides can depend on a controlled and safe sale via paypal with protection for both sides - at the cost of the ebay-fees.

As far as I know there are no import duties on an "accordion" to Canada!

In my opinion the agreed price is not really a bargain, but realistic! So it should be a win-win situation for both!

Just for comparison: As somebody here mentioned, a Lachenal Boyd is a good Lachenal new-model with custom ends!

I have a nice metal-ended Lachenal new-model for sale, recently restored to "as new" condition by David Robertson, with six-fold bellows - for 1800€ ( 2500 CND $, 2050 US$, 1300 Pound )...

Edited by conzertino

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for comparison: As somebody here mentioned, a Lachenal Boyd is a good Lachenal new-model with custom ends!

I have a nice metal-ended Lachenal new-model for sale, recently restored to "as new" condition by David Robertson, with six-fold bellows - for 1800€ ( 2500 CND $, 2050 US$, 1300 Pound )...

I think this is a more sensible 'market price' for one of these. Yes there is some rarity value in having H.Boyd designed into the fretwork but from a player's view point there is probably nothing in the difference between a New Model ordinaire and a Boyd. Unless someone here knows .... but I have tried some with and some without the name and cannot decern any difference other than the usual caveates concerning condition .

Edited by Geoff Wooff

John sent me a personal message and does not want my concertina. No hard feelings here. I appreciate conzertino's effort to smooth ruffled feathers.

The instrument is available on ebay. I certainly have learned my lessons on accepting any offer outside of the protection of ebay or paypal. Fortunately, there are plenty of really fine concertina's available, such as the Lachenal new-model above! Thank you for sharing that option. As Geoff points out, a buyer can take the sensible approach and go with a New Model. This is a circa 1890 rare instrument that is available for sale on ebay only, and offered at a reasonable price. I won't get into a braying contest with anyone over my instrument. Geoff and Conzertina offer good advice! Thanks.

Jenny, I have bought and sold several concertinas directly through c.net - from and to the whole world - and always without problems!

I check ebay.com, ebay.co.uk plus c.net every day - so do most concertina-nuts;-)

In my opinion the chances that you will sell the instrument even at your start-price are small, as everybody has seen it and had time to consider.

I would reduce the start-price to 2500$ or better 2000$ and let the auction run to the end - assuming that you really want to sell it.

So everybody has time to prepare;-) The market is really unpredictable these days! Many English-system players have died away.

I know from my annual concertina meetings that Anglo and Hayden-duet are more popular with young players than English-system!

The whole affair with John is obviously just a very emotional misunderstanding! Pity...

Thank you Conzertino. I appreciate your insights and will give this consideration. I am looking at how to extend my listing to the global market. Stay tuned!

*After consideration I want to say this: I am starting bidding at the approximate price of purchase in 1999, adjusted for inflation. I know that this is a rare concertina and one just like this will only become available occasionally. I only need one buyer! I don't intend to discount my concertina and take a loss just to sell fast. Anyone outside of the US who is seriously interested in buying may personal message me. I would still be selling on ebay, and they would need to pay all import fees, customs, international shipping, taxes etc., I will not be discounting the concertina to make it easier to sell internationally. At this point, my listing is for US customers only.

Edited by H Boyd Concertina

• 2 weeks later...

Concertina.net member Lawrence Reeves took the end off of this concertina today, so I have the serial number (pictured on 1st post) as 45843. I attached photos of the interior that you can see on the 1st post. I asked Larry to write a description of what he found upon inspection of this instrument which he agreed to do when he has the time. I'll let him tell you, because he speaks concertina jargon. He did say it was A440 modern tuning. Thank you Larry!

All notes except one speak. Will need bushings, as when I took the ends off the bushings didn't stay put. The reeds look fantastic, and no rust. The interior had Chris Alagar's stamp and the inside of the instrument is beautiful. No pitting, and no dents in fretwork. I don't play English but could tell that the quality of tone were excellent, and the action all felt good. No leaks on any note, and as would be expected some valves not opening and closing fully. The instrument does not need a rebuild or refurb, just standard tuning and valve / bushing work. All screws turned easily, and the reed pans are snug with no sign of warping. If you play an English style, tis is a very clean nice sounding concertina. If it were an Anglo in this condition I would have bought it.

Edited by Lawrence Reeves

• 1 month later...

This instrument is open to international buyers on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191654066174?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Listing price is $2500.00 plus calculated shipping and fees, depending on location. Thank you. Jenny

• 2 months later...

A few days ago I was in Cary, North Carolina (Raleigh area) and had the pleasure of stopping by The German Grill to visit Jenny, her restaurant, and her H Boyd Lachenal.

It was a delightful visit. The wiener schnitzel was excellent and Chef Paul's "Brooklyn style" cheesecake was out of this world! (No kidding, I've spent decades and untold calories searching for a cheesecake that is close to my father's recipe for New York "Lindy" cheesecake. Chef Paul's cheesecake is wonderful and a very close second to my dad's!) Do drop in for a meal if you are in the area.

I was able to inspect and play the H Boyd concertina that was Jenny's late husband's instrument. The reeds looked to be in great shape. The "Barleycorn Concertinas" sticker was on the reed pan. The instrument could use a servicing to adjust several noisy valves and a few reluctant notes, but otherwise the sound was strong and aggressive as one would expect from a Boyd and I saw no major repair or maintenance problems.

If you are in the market for a nice, loud concertina this one would be worthy of consideration.

Greg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A question for the list: would this be a New Model, or some other Lachenal model. Or would there be unique features for this retailer?

As far as I know these Boyd Lachenal's are New Models with personalised Fretwork. The stories of Harry Boyd being such a good customer he could demand that his ordered instruments be made by the best workers are probably true.

I have worked on several Boyd Lachenals and they all had good reeds and a very bright tone. Worth more than a ordinary metal ended New Model ??

Geoff, years ago I read that Boyd Lachenals had shallow reed pans, which, produced a very loud instrument. I've never played or worked on one. I can't attest to this. Was there anything different about the internal construction of the Boyds that you worked on?

• 4 weeks later...