If A Melodica Can Do It...

gcoover

Well, you certainly can't sing with a melodica stuck in your mouth...

So how about adding a bag and bellows to the melodica?

It works for Irish and Northumbrian pipers.

I almost tried something similar with a melodica and a blue plastic foot bellows that I had found at a yardsale. Now I am wondering if I kept that bellows or did I throw it out this summer during the move. The melodicas I still have.

A friend who travelled in the Balkans once told me of an old gajda (bagpipe) player who started using such a foot pump to inflate his bag after he no longer had the lung power to do so.

Just like the German bloke I once heard playing his Irish pipes; in his case it was due to a lack of arm power as you might have already imagined....

From the foot pump to the concertina... or from the concertina to the air mattress? :unsure:

The latter.

Then you can play lying down! :D

Chris

A matress might at least give longer lasting air support than a condom... :D

This has already been done!

The New Rope String Band do a long sequence with video which ends up with Tim Dalling strapped to an air bed with someone else pumping it up, playing two melodicas (one bass, one treble) fed from it. Tim sings while playing and (apart from the air bed) is only wearing a pair of underpants. The song's message is that many things can kill you, but you won't die of shame.

I couldn't find that song on YouTube, but there are quite a few others to show what the band does.

It's well worth seeing, if you get the chance.

Steve

From the foot pump to the concertina... or from the concertina to the air mattress? :unsure:

The latter.

Then you can play lying down! :D

Chris

A matress might at least give longer lasting air support than a condom... :D
This has already been done!

The New Rope String Band do a long sequence with video which ends up with Tim Dalling strapped to an air bed with someone else pumping it up, playing two melodicas (one bass, one treble) fed from it. Tim sings while playing and (apart from the air bed) is only wearing a pair of underpants. The song's message is that many things can kill you, but you won't die of shame.

I couldn't find that song on YouTube, but there are quite a few others to show what the band does.

It's well worth seeing, if you get the chance.

Steve

Having watched their promo video I can easily believe their doing the matress thing. :D

• 2 weeks later...