39 Key Jeffries C/g Anglo For Sale

doodle

For sale: Jeffries C/G 39 key Anglo – has ‘cry-baby’ button and ‘whistle’ button, so possibly a 37 key, if you prefer? Bought by me around 20 years ago from a well- respected melodeon tuner, who’s personal instrument it was, and since then has had very little playing by me and always indoors at home.

Overall condition is excellent – it has as new gold embossed 6 fold bellows with the correct ‘dolphin’ pattern papers and matching as new gold embossed hand-straps. It has ‘C Jeffries’ stamped above the C row and ‘maker’ stamped between the C and G rows and although some of the silvering has faded to a goldy colour on the end-plates, they are well polished. All the wood-work is in excellent condition being mainly un-marked – all in all a very nice looking concertina.

It plays superbly, as you’d expect given its previous owner, and is in concert pitch. I’m no expert player, but I think the accidentals at the start of the C and G rows are not typical, being on the left-hand C row - C# push and pull and on the left-hand G row - D push and another C# pull. The right-hand side initial accidental on the C row is – low C# push and low D pull whilst the G row has – A push and E pull. It has a C natural drone under the left thumb, but otherwise the accidentals seem as per ‘normal’ Jeffries layout. It has a ‘Ceilidh Trail School of Celtic Music’ sticker on the carry case, so perhaps these accidentals relate more to Irish music – I’m an English-style player, so don’t really know! There is a black wooden hard-case, as mentioned, and it is fitted with proper bars to maintain parallel bellows when the concertina is stored. It comes from a pet and smoke free home and collection in person is welcomed (I’m in Devon, UK) or it could be seen/tried at Sidmouth Festival. This is a super instrument and needs to be played. Price £4500 + postage, but no offers please as I wouldn’t want to part with it for anything less. Thanks for looking, I’ll try to post pictures, but otherwise they can be had via email if you PM me. Tony

Edited by doodle

• 1 month later...