What A Coincidence... Re: 'dancing With Ma Baby'

This morning, I happened to walk into my husband's workshop just as he had reached a particular spot in a pile of old sheet music he was going through. I would have missed this exciting find if I'd walked in at a different time:

post-39-0-02736000-1364576094_thumb.jpg

This is a piano arrangement.

Some of us play the arrangement for concertina, as arranged by Mr. Stanley (which is not so easy to find, either).

Here's my folder of photos of the sheet music.

Edited by bellowbelle

Is this the same tune that Tommy Williams recorded under the title "Tommy's Schottiche" ?

Next question; is the Stanley arrangement available from the ICA library, by any chance ?

edited to add; I've printed your photos of the music and they have not come out too bad either... so thanks indeed!

This arrangement looks to be playable almost directly on a larger Duet... I'll have a try anyway.....

By the way, is it just the four pages of music ?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Sorry I'm slow to reply..

I don't know anything about the recording you mention.

I think the ICA library does have this, as arranged by Henry Stanley.

And yes, That's the whole music. ( Lots of repeat signs.)

Stuck with phone for now, I can answer better later from computer.

There is a book of concertina arrangements called 'Dancing With Ma Baby' Edited by Phil Hopkinson and published by Dragonfly Music. This is a collection of old arrangements including the Stanley arrangement brought together in a single book and therefore copyright in this edition. No longer available via retailers but I was told a while ago that Phil Hopkinson still has copies for sale himself although I have no idea how to contact him.

Sorry I'm slow to reply..

I don't know anything about the recording you mention.

I think the ICA library does have this, as arranged by Henry Stanley.

And yes, That's the whole music. ( Lots of repeat signs.)

Stuck with phone for now, I can answer better later from computer.

The recording can be heard on a CD called "Masters of the Concertina" from Free Reed Records. It is two old Vinyl records from the 1970's one of Gordon Cutty on EC and the other is Tommy Williams on Maccann. Both recordings were made when these boys were in their '80's and, I think they are a MUST for anybody interested in the Concertina playing of the early 20th Century.

The CD can be had from www.free-reed.co.uk

Gordon Cutty led a dance band with his 48 treble EC and Tommy Williams played Maccann in the trenches during World War One and later worked for Lachenals.

PS: Many thanks Tallship !!

Edited by Geoff Wooff

• 7 years later...