WHITBY FOLK WEEK 2012

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it - whee, the guy seems to be the Gordon Duncan of the hurdy-gurdy.

Sound quality of the non-mobile version is much better:

The tune is a bit like Charlie McKerron's "Islay Rant" - both are in the same family as "Gilderoy" and "King of the Fairies".

Does he ever do it the same way twice?

post-3250-0-20772100-1344775258_thumb.png

The first of Kautilya's "Unknown Reels" is an Irish version of a Scottish strathspey, "The Earl of Moira's Welcome to Scotland", by D. Mackentyre of Edinburgh around 1800 (in F in my "Embro, Embro" pages, chapter 3), which in turn was based on a probably-forgotten tune by Skillern (who I think was a Scot living in London) from 1776, "Colonel H.F. Campbell's Strathspey". It subsequently got several other titles usually related to Moira's wife the Countess of Loudon, thanks to Tannahill's song "Loudon's Bonnie Woods and Braes". As a reel it's known in America under several titles, like "Cluck Old Hen".

The first of Kautilya's "Unknown Reels" ..... like "Cluck Old Hen".

Well that's sorted them then. Sounds like a broiler for dinner from Whitby Sainsbury's is on the menu! to the melody of Sole Mio

O Pollo rosto,

Vecchio e duro :( :(

ITALIAN

O Sole mio and Santa Lucia

OSoleMio inkeyofGscoreandlyrics.doc

bass ear version

tenor

O sole mio

Che bella cosa na jurnata 'e sole

n'aria serena doppo na tempesta

pe ll'aria fresca pare già na festa

che bella cosa na jurnata 'e sole.

Ma n'atu sole cchiu' bello, oi ne'

'o sole mio sta nfronte a te

'o sole, o sole mio

sta nfronte a te

sta nfronte a te.

Quanno fa notte e'sole se ne scenne

me vene quase 'na malincunia

sotto a fenesta toia restarria

quanno fa notte e 'o sole se ne scenne.

Ma n'atu sole cchiu' bello, oi ne'

'o sole mio sta nfronte a te

'o sole, o sole mio

sta nfronte a te

sta nfronte a te.

Santa Lucia - Tu sei l'impero Del armonia!!

(with Czech words !!) overlaid And B voice

santaluciaSul mare luccicaLYR.doc

midi abc etc here

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Italy/2010NEFFA/0026

NORWAY - Devil's music - be great if we could get a handle on something like this at Eurosess.

maybe this toon on the hardangerfele is easier? :rolleyes:

Again, profane associations meant that Hardanger music was banned from churches, and charismatic fiddlers were sometimes even ostracized by the Christian community. Before the Nordic service at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, Ulvin begins playing her fiddle outside the book of Celtic Christian prayers from...

composersforum.org/sites/default/files/SeptOct 2007.pdf

GREEK Greece

Τα παιδιά του Πειραιά Ta pedia tou Pirea (The children from Piraeus) from film Ποτέ Την Κυριακή (Never on a Sunday)

Ap'to parathiro mou stelno ena dio

Ke tria ke tessera filia

Pou ftanoun sto limani ena ke dio

Ke tria ke tessera poulia

Pos tha 'thela na iha ena ke dio

Ke tria ke tessera pedia

Otan tha megalosoun ola na ginoun

Leventes yia hari tou Pirea

Oso ki an psazo

Den vrisko allo limani

Trelli na m' echi kani

Apo tou Pirea

Pou otan vradiazi

Tragoudia m' aradiazi

Ke tis pennies tou allazi

Yemizi apo pedia

Apo tin porta mou san vgo

Den iparhi kanis

Pou na min ton agapo

Ke san to vradi kimitho

Xero pos xero pos

Pos tha ton onirefto

Petradia vazo sto lemo

Ke mia ha ke mia ha

Ke mia hantra filachto

Yiati ta vradia kartero

Sto limani san vgo

Kapion agnosto na vro

Oso ki an psazo

Den vrisko allo limani

Trelli na m' echi kani

Apo tou Pirea

Pou otan vradiazi

Tragoudia m' aradiazi

Ke tis pennies tou allazi

Yemizi apo pedia

Pos tha 'thela na iha ena ke dio

Ke tria ke tessera pedia

Homa pou gennithika

Pote mou de s'arnithika

Spiti mou spitaki mou

Ayiatrefto meraki mou

Ki an ton kosmo yirisa

Konta sou xanayirisa

and ZORBA THE GREEK

The ear and dancing bit

If it threatens to get a bit too Russian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthem_of_the_Chechen_Republic_of_Ichkeria

(your browser may give up in despair trying to display a language with 50 consonants and 44 vowels)

http://www.waynakh.com/eng/2009/08/the-national-anthem-of-chechen-republic-ichkeria-music-video/

Knocks the socks off Flower of Scotland for both tune and words, anyway.

post-3250-0-19683200-1344817947_thumb.png

Found it - whee, the guy seems to be the Gordon Duncan of the hurdy-gurdy.

You ain't heard nothing yet - for the real Gordon Duncan of the gurdy track down some Valentin Clastier, he makes Jolivet sound restrained and understated. Not particularly to my taste, but you cannot help but admire the sheer inventiveness and technical chops.

Does he ever do it the same way twice?

Not that I've seen: there are regularly moments with his main band La Machine where you can see the other musicians (no slouches themselves) going 'where the heck did that come from' ...

I will have a trade stall for the full week at Whitby 2012, from Saturday 18th to Friday 24th August.

The trade fair is in the Leisure Centre near the West Cliff car park, just across from the Rifle Club, and a short step from the Festival Office.

I will have a variety of refurbished and nearly new instruments for sale. I will be accepting instruments to sell on commission (15%). If you would like me to sell something for you you can either get it to me at home before the 17th, or bring it along to the stall, early in the week if possible.

I will be equipped to do most running repairs including replacing broken reeds and springs, sticking buttons, noisy valves etc on melodeons and concertinas.

Please call by and say hello, even if you don't need my services.

The Norwegian number I do most often is the Hoy Song. You won't need dots for the tune, but the words (in Bergen dialect) seem much too complicated for most people to sing along to. Here's the complete vocal part so you can practice (polka speed):

I'd lurv to sing that, as I have practised blubbering on the fish market in Bergen and that is the call they recommended to get the whales to breech out of the water, but I don't think my box keys will allow me to play-along... wot key is your's in please?

It is quite a complicated "call sign" as you will see here, so could u give me that in ABC please Jack? :blink: :blink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Db_minor_key_signature.png

Which takes me nicely to an ITALIAN-ENGLISH tune/song courtesy of Mike SW.

In his yoof he made a record of Shoals of Herring (Oh it was a fine and a pleasant day, and out of Whitby Harbour we were faring etc.

He and his mates were broadcast on't BBC.

They were so smitten (it's blubbering melody for him) they asked a herring skipper if they could join his boat to work on herring catch (secretly it was in order to learn shanties). At sea they eventually asked the Capn if his men would sing some of the songs they performed when working the nets -- for them learn.

The Capn obliged and called on the lads to do a turn.

The lads then started to sing:

"Che sera, sera"

It was all they knew!!

MSW & Co scuttled back to land from the failed musical research trip.

So, as we have not had any Italo-Anglo, and hoping MSW will turn up to play (and sing) it), here it is (incl his and Harry Scurfied tinas and othe instruments at Swaledale Squeeze 2011):

Whitby2012 shoals of herring lyrics and score in keyofC

(well the scores in C but gawd knows what the played version was in... :D )

Edited by Kautilya

biggrin.gif 'Fist Inn Last Out' Folk Week update .......

copied from another message board

"Straight from the horse's mouth (the landlord, Wesley!).Every evening, from Saturday 18th - 25th, there will be an open session led by 'Perish the Thought' (you know who they are!), with the exception of Wednesday 22nd.

Apparently there are many sessions of various types being held during the day - see programme, notice boards,flyers for further info.

Evening sessions will kick off about 7:00 - 7:30 pm each night.The ale and apple juice is real, and well priced. Let's have a Folkin' good time!"

from RUSSIA to Lidl Whitby via Sainsbury

and "There is no Russia without its forests"

words:

Kalinka Калинка inkeyofC lyrics eng russ - see attached

RUSSIAN

MOSCOW NIGHTS - Подмосковные вечера

Whitby2012 moscow nights in lyrics and score in keyofc earlink

see attached- after this came along last year, someone there was planning to make the toon part of their regular gig routine, so will be interesting to see what has developed since.

MELODEON-carrying members of the Tina Party may want to check out melodeon.net Whitby for the melnet gathering/sessions.

G Arside, that well known wind teacher and peformer is apparently promoting free hot cross bums at The Elsinore or somewhere (see refs to Elsinore and seating arrangements).That's next door to Eurosessions in The Resolution.

Any Hohner Scottish Highlander players should remember to bring 'em, as G Arside et al may be playing Athol Highlanders (praps also with bagpipes...) if the occasion arises.

For insipid (is that the right word or perhaps incipient... B)

) melodeon players he also does a good melodeon beginners' workshop (or two) in the Middle Earth in the mornings. Low cost for pensioners and there may be a free one (a please put a penny in the old man's hat collection to cover his beans and other fuel.

Check official Whitby calendar or melnet.

I'm hoping to attend Iris Bishop's workshop for duet players - if anyone else is going to be there, hasn't got a copy and would be interested, I will have a few copies of Ralph Jordan's CD "Eloise" available for sale at £10 (a bargain. It will cost you £12 if bought online). It comes highly recommended - very nice review in EFDSS "EDS" magazine when it came out two years ago. Otherwise, I'll hope to see one or two of you in Whitby. B) (The sunglasses on the emoticon are in hopes rather than definite expectation)

My plan is to be in Whitby for Sunday (assuming work-related issues don't keep me away).

So where and when are things happening on Sunday?

Black Horse for a singaround (I guess) and some good beer - and Station Inn for good beer and Morris.

Steve

Edited by SteveS