Identification required please

Turbogal

Hello all, I wonder if you can help with the identification of this concertina. My late father had it looked at some years ago and was told that it was a Wheatstone manufactured in 1920, however, we cannot see any identification marks though. I will happily make a donation to your site for your assistance.

Some pictures..

026.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

034.jpg

The bellows are all intact with no splits...I look forward to your thoughts on this, thanks in advance.

Regards

Liz

Edited by Turbogal

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ends are the weirdest thing I've seen on a concertina but everything else about it shouts Wheatstone to me. Looks like a custom built model 21. Opening it up might reveal a serial number stamped inside although both of my Wheatstones only have a batch number on the reedpan.

Pete.

Hello all, I wonder if you can help with the identification of this concertina. My late father had it looked at some years ago and was told that it was a Wheatstone manufactured in 1920, however, we cannot see any identification marks though.

The bellows are all intact with no splits...I look forward to your thoughts on this, thanks in advance.

Hi Liz,

It could be a Wheatstone. You would really need to have it opened up to be sure. The "action" would be a give-away (If the levers pivot on a rivet, that would suggest Wheatstone. If the levers go through slotted posts, that would suggest Lachenal). The "fact" that someone has suggested 1920, indicates a likely internal number.

My guess is that the ends were damaged, and replaced by the fretted metal which looks much more professional that other repairs which we've seen here.

If someone can take the instrument to pieces for you - the 6 endbolts enable you to remove the end, and (from memory) the middle screw under the metal finger-plate enables the two halves of the end to be separated. You might find a serial number stamped like the picture below. Note, mine is an Anglo, but I'm guessing that English concertinas, of this period, were similarly stamped (unless C.net members with better knowledge say differently!).

Regards,

Peter.

If someone can take the instrument to pieces for you - the 6 endbolts enable you to remove the end, and (from memory) the middle screw under the metal finger-plate enables the two halves of the end to be separated.

The centre screw of the thumb strap will need removing too in order to access the action.

If you give us a rough idea of your location Turbogal you might find that there's a cnet member nearby who can investigate further for you.

Hi Liz

There is a strange thing shown in the pictures of this salvation army concertina (it says SA in the fretwork).

The strange thing is that the thumb straps seem to have been moved to another position.

May the ends have swapped sides, or could it have been a left handed instrument?

It seems quite a job to change a right handed into a left handed instrument.

The round metal ends could be turned easily, but it would need mirrored actions and reed pans as well(or wouldnt it?).

So it seems more likely that just the ends swapped positions, and asked for another position of the thumb strap (but if it is not for making it left handed, I do not understand why people would move the left end to the right side)

Anyone who has an idea why the thumb straps have been moved to anoother position?

Thanks

Marien

What makes you think the thumb straps have been moved? If you a referring to the two spare circular threaded plates on the next flat around, they would have been for a set of wrist straps. Click on my name and look at the picture of my model 21, complete with wrist straps.

What makes you think the thumb straps have been moved? If you a referring to the two spare circular threaded plates on the next flat around, they would have been for a set of wrist straps. Click on my name and look at the picture of my model 21, complete with wrist straps.

I see I am not too old to learn something...

Thanks,

Marien

I didn't like to say anything but I'm a bit mystified by the sally army reference too. I've just noticed that this has six fold bellows too, which wouldn't be normal for a model 21. The whole thing is a bit of an anomaly.

Am I imagining that that the metal ends are raised? Could this be an altered or custom built model 2? Oh for a serial number!

There is a strange thing shown in the pictures of this salvation army concertina (it says SA in the fretwork).

Eh?

The strange thing is that the thumb straps seem to have been moved to another position.

May the ends have swapped sides, or could it have been a left handed instrument?

Eh?

It seems quite a job to change a right handed into a left handed instrument.

The round metal ends could be turned easily, but it would need mirrored actions and reed pans as well(or wouldnt it?).

Eh?

So it seems more likely that just the ends swapped positions, and asked for another position of the thumb strap (but if it is not for making it left handed, I do not understand why people would move the left end to the right side)

Eh?

Anyone who has an idea why the thumb straps have been moved to anoother position?

Eh?

Marien, I don't wish to be rude but I definitely think you should go and see an optician and get a new pair of glasses! ;)

Chris

Thanks for the replies so far all, I must admit I was rather perplexed by the Salvation Army reference and spent quite a bit of time staring at the screen trying to see it!! :blink:

I am in Braintree in Essex, but do travel down to the South of the county to Southend where I can see Kent, I do believe that tall ship is from that area!?

I remember my father playing scales on it years ago and it makes the dogs run off when we get a note out of it!

I am reluctant to take it apart myself I would be scared of breaking something and would rather put it in the hands of an expert.

on the 4th picture one can see the other 2 circular holes too. So wrist straps it must have been

Dirk

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your wise eh... words to buy new glasses. Forgive me that I have never seen other straps than thumb straps on an english concertina.

About the SA character shape. It is in the fifth picture, between the thumb strap and the pinky thing, a bit to the right on te picture. My eye (or what's left of it?) caught the S and A shape below the buttons. Maybe my eyes are better than yours? Although the shape of the characters SA is clearly visible I admit that these seem to be a part of the pattern of the frame work rather than a Salvation Army indication (the letters are not in a symmetrical position).

Marien

I am in Braintree in Essex, but do travel down to the South of the county to Southend where I can see Kent.

ooh my area of the country. (Southend that is.) but I couldn't tell you anything I'm afraid...I'm a newbie myself.