Poll: Tune Of The Month For December, 2014

Jim Besser

Poll: TOTM December, 2014  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the point was that however appealing Darke's arrangement may be, Holst invented the tune.

I take that back.

When I posted it I had never heard the Darke version and knew nothing about it except what I had read here, which suggested that it was an arrangement of Holst's tune. I have now heard it and read the Mudcat thread. Whether or not one can call it a completely different tune, and to what extent the similarities owe to the fact that they are settings of the same text are questions that will not be answered here.

But the Darke version is certainly something other than simply an arrangement of Holst's tune.

It certainly seems that people tend to prefer the version they knew first. I come from a background of classical music, not Christmas Carols. I prefer the Holst.

...the Darke version is certainly something other than simply an arrangement of Holst's tune.

It certainly seems that people tend to prefer the version they knew first. I come from a background of classical music, not Christmas Carols. I prefer the Holst.

Well, it looks like In the Bleak Midwinter is unlikely to win the poll, but in light of this discussion I wonder if we won't get some recordings of it (them?) just the same. :)

...the Darke version is certainly something other than simply an arrangement of Holst's tune.

Well, it looks like In the Bleak Midwinter is unlikely to win the poll, but in light of this discussion I wonder if we won't get some recordings of it (them?) just the same. :)

Hi Jim,

I'm very likely to post a recording of my (at least) playing the Holst tune soon...

(shall revive last years ThOTM for that purpose).

Best - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Listened to both settings as performed by the King's College Choir, just to find my first impression from reading the score of the Drake version confirmed, to say the least. When talking about musical "syrup" I'd rather apply that to even the altered melody...

Might thus second the quoted comment from youtube... :ph34r:

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Hi Jim,

I'm very likely to post a recording of my (at least) playing the Holst tune soon...

(shall revive last years ThOTM for that purpose).

Best - Wolf

That will fit in fine with the yet-to-be-announced December theme.

I think the point was that however appealing Darke's arrangement may be, Holst invented the tune.

I take that back.

When I posted it I had never heard the Darke version and knew nothing about it except what I had read here, which suggested that it was an arrangement of Holst's tune. I have now heard it and read the Mudcat thread. Whether or not one can call it a completely different tune, and to what extent the similarities owe to the fact that they are settings of the same text are questions that will not be answered here.

But the Darke version is certainly something other than simply an arrangement of Holst's tune.

Our choir did the Holst version in our Christmas concert last year and it's the version I'm most familiar with. I was at a local choir concert yesterday and they did the Darke version so it was a good opportunity to compare. Although there are similarities, to me, it's definitely a different tune and not just an arrangement/version of the Holst tune.

This was never my favourite carol but I do prefer th Holst tune. Maybe for the reason stated; it was the one I first heard - or more likely, have heard more often.