Okay, This Is The Last I'll Say About Straps

Jeff Stallard

Here's a picture of the system I came up with. I originally had metal plates with dee rings, but I swapped it for cloth, because they looked better, were smaller, were thinner, and were easily customizable. I wanted very small hardware so it wouldn't look out of place, but I had trouble finding stuff small enough...until I thought about camera cases! For $10 I bought a digital camera case, then just removed the straps, adjusted them to my dimensions, restitched the hardware back on, and bada-boom bada-bing, I have a strap that's proportional to the instrument and looks pretty darn good...if I do say so myself.

post-1010-1116421929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff Stallard

What a crafty fella ye are. Looks very good.

In this shot I can better see the green color of the bellows. The thumb straps are replacements I would imagine. Shame they were not replaced with green leather to match. Handsome instrument. Again congratulations!

Well I think I could if I swung the English around so it's hanging down my back.

I can see you doing strapspins and windmills like Pete Townsend! You'll no doubt top the charts on Billboard's list of top 10 hits in their new catagory "English Country Folk-Metal" B)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Here's a picture of the system I came up with. I originally had metal plates with dee rings, but I swapped it for cloth, because they looked better, were smaller, were thinner, and were easily customizable. I wanted very small hardware so it wouldn't look out of place, but I had trouble finding stuff small enough...until I thought about camera cases! For $10 I bought a digital camera case, then just removed the straps, adjusted them to my dimensions, restitched the hardware back on, and bada-boom bada-bing, I have a strap that's proportional to the instrument and looks pretty darn good...if I do say so myself.

Clever.

My question though is, do you rest the bellows against your chest while using this, or do you extend the instrument away from your body and use the starp more as a traingulation support?

So the strap goes around the neck.

Never tried, but suspect I'll be very uncomfortable (or may be not?)

So I came up with somewhat more elaborate, but doable, idea, look below

shoulder_strap.jpg

the thick lines on the shoulders are accordion straps, they hook to the belt behind one's back, so the whole thing is resting on the shoulders, not around the neck. Back belts can criss-cross military style, so the straps don't slide off the shoulders.

Overkill?