concertina case

It will be made specifically to fit your instrument and is strong enough to withstand rough treatment.

That's an interesting way to put it. I have no doubt that an Edgley case (or any other quality brand) would easily survive a drop off a 5 story building, it's built like a bank vault. But what about the concertina inside?

None of these cases have any padding to speak of. The Edgley has a very thin layer of foam covered with cloth and then hard foam corner blocks, and that seems to be typical. Wouldn't any shock the case suffers transfer directly through to the concertina? I'm not an engineer, and I have no idea about the physics involved, but the lack of padding really troubles me.

It seems to me that the design standard should be to protect the instrument in case of a 4 foot (table or stage height) drop onto concrete. If that happens, an old suitcase with the concertina wrapped in some beach towels would seem to offer as much or more protection than any of the cases on the market. Don't you want some padding? Wouldn't 3 inches of foam all around offer better protection than even the best of the custom fitted cases?

(Please understand, I'm not picking of Frank, Greg, or any of the custom case builders, and if there is a reason why a custom fitted but un-padded case is better, I'm all ears.)

It's my understanding that the most important thing for a case to do is to stop the instrument from moving around in the box if the case should suffer a fall. The movement within the case causes the damage, as the hard shell will protect from direct impact. If it is held securely so that it doesn't move around in the box, the concertina should survive a reasonable drop. This is why we have safety belts in cars. Notice safety belts are not padded as the padding would allow movement of the passenger and thus more damage. I have dropped a concertina case when walking down the street in Goderich, ON, onto the cement sidewalk. Absolutely no damage to the concertina, and minimal scratches to the steel corners. We are taking about falls from reasonable heights, like out of your hand to the surface below. A soft case will compress when it hits a hard surface, and could cause damage. Of course, everything depends on how far it falls, and onto what kind, shape etc of surface.