Survey: We're Scary!

A lovely quote picked up from a livejournal:

(...) In fact, it was even reported that that day's Metro had had a survey about which people Londoners are afraid to sit next to on the Tube, and five percent of respondents said they were afraid to sit next to someone who looked like they might be a concertina player. ;)

:lol:

I wondered what the problem was.

Seriously though ,What a load of rubbish.I doubt if the writer even has a clue as to what a concertina is,let alone be scared of a concertina player.

Thinking about this though Allison was on the tube recently to come to the George !!

I must admit to being on the tube last week,That could be it !!

Alan(SPOOKY)Day

"This is Jeff. He looks like a friendly human being, doesn't he? Quite harmless, really. But what is this under his arm? A little black box. Could it be? Is he perhaps? And look, there are more people with little black boxes under their arms. Let's get out of here before they...ARRRRGH! Too late!" ;) :lol:

When I was in France and Italy last year, I saw people roaming around with PAs and playing them in public. Aside from some of the more impressionable children, no one seemed scared and only a few people ran off. :P In fact, that has been my own experience when I get out the PA, so I can't imagine how a nice, cute concertina could be the object of such trepidation!

I think that this forum clearly demonstrates why many might be afraid to sit next to someone that looks like a concertina player. They probably aren't as worried that the person might start to play a concertina as much as they are worried that the person will begin to talk about concertinas. :P :P

Dan Madden

Hm, considering some of the associations popular culture makes to concertinas (clowns, primates) it is perhaps understandable. Ooh, ooh and beep, beep!

Most of us are one or the other, often both, don't you think? Other than in statuary, I've yet to see a non-primate concertinist.

I wonder where they did the survey? My experience is that most people, in fact the vast majority of people, have no idea what a concertina is! My fiddle, guitar etc. playing freinds used to like me playing with them in pubs because I was always the one approached by strange men. The conversation usually went something like:

Strange man "Can I have a go on that",

Me "Alright",

Strange man "What is it, I've never seen one like that before".

On tube trains it was even more weird as this was all done with sign language as you can't hear youself think on the Northern Line.

Chris

I think that this forum clearly demonstrates why many might be afraid to sit next to someone that looks like a concertina player. They probably aren't as worried that the person might start to play a concertina as much as they are worried that the person will begin to talk about concertinas. :P :P

Dan Madden

ouch, yeah. ive gotten that. people who just want me to stop talking about concertinas, usually i'm talking about the differences between types of accordians and types of concertinas. then i talk about all the concertinas i want.

Now if we want to be REALLY scary. Check out this link for the "Virtual Air Guitar". :blink:

Surely some of the electronic whizz kids can invent the "Virtual Air Concertina" (a concertina entirely composed of air - not just inside the bellows).

This would enable us to play the concertina into our own headphones while riding the bus, without needing a concertina. Imaginary bellows over the left knee (no need to worry about bellows wear), Right foot tapping, Concertina player's expression of concentration, ...

If this doesn't clear the whole bus of other passengers, nothing will! :ph34r:

Surely some of the electronic whizz kids can invent the "Virtual Air Concertina"....

This would enable us to play the concertina into our own headphones while riding the bus, without needing a concertina. Imaginary bellows over the left knee (no need to worry about bellows wear),...

Sounds like a great way to cure beginners of trying to look at the buttons as they play. It's a silly habit, anyway, since I've yet to meet anyone sufficiently "broad minded" to watch both ends at once. :D