I Have A Concertina!

Susanne

My boyfriend went to a music shop last Friday when he was off work, while on his way to a luthier shop. He asked if they had any concertinas or if they knew how to find a used concertina. Then, the shop owner pulled out a leather box from somewhere, swept of the dust, and showed an old English 56 button concertina from who-knows-when. Another customer had left it there years ago to be sold, but he hadn't sold it yet and didn't really know if he really wanted to sell it. He would find out the price and what kind of concertina it was etc, and then call back.

Yesterday, when I was in Göteborg to look for other things and just relax, I went in there to look at it and ask for the price. I thought it would cost something like 3000-4000 SEK since it was quite a nice one. But, he told me it cost 800 SEK!! It looks quite old but I'm not sure, and there's no maker's name on it at all. It seems to be an English, one button is missing but it's a button I'll never use anyway, one of those really high ones. So, I bought it, and have since then tried to find some logic in the placement of the buttons. I did after some searching, find a chart for 56 button concertinas, and found there actually was some kind of logic even if it doesn't make it very easy to play..........I also found a tutor book in pdf format on the same website. So now I get going!!!! And after just 24 hours as a concertina owner, I love it. What a wonderful instrument!!!!!

If you have any advice on how to make the learning as easy as possible, you are very welcome to contact me.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it would cost something like 3000-4000 SEK since it was quite a nice one. But, he told me it cost 800 SEK!! It looks quite old but I'm not sure, and there's no maker's name on it at all.

Sounds like a very good price! As far as I know any old 56 key English concertina you find will probably have been made either by Wheatstone, or Lachenal, and will be a quality instrument. Even 4000 SEK would have been cheap! Congratulations.

That's great news Ennistraveler. Congratulations!

I think that things had to be like that, although you wanted an Anglo ;)

I've played some button accordion and I love it, but I like the sweeter sound of the concertina and the size, so that's what I want. I primarily want an anglo, because I like the sound of that more than other concertinas, and can be played in more keys. But I may change my mind after trying other types of concertinas. I'll try to visit Jim Lucas (seems closer than Stockholm) and try some before buying.

I still advise you to contact Jim!

Anglo or not, this was a chance I just couldn't miss. It probably happens once every 30th year or so that you can find a concertina for that price.. I don't know if the anglo is easier to play or not, but this one sounds at least as good as the anglos I've heard on the tunes page. And, I've realized how great it is being able to choose whether to pull or push! I'm really satisfied, especially for being able to start playing the concertina without being a millionaire. If this proves to be suitable for playing the styles I want, I may not wish for an anglo anymore.

I'm in contact with Jim Lucas and will go visit him after New Year. I may also try to go down for the Scandinavian Squeeze next spring.

Anglo or not, this was a chance I just couldn't miss. It probably happens once every 30th year or so that you can find a concertina for that price..

Congratulations!! So it does happen! I think I can speak for a lot of netters, when I say: Photo, photo, photo! Because the photo will immediately reveal how good a deal it was!

If you pass Skåne before next SSI, please let me know - I think a have a few tricks to show that will make surviving Irish music on an English easier (possible?). (Should I be in Göteborg, I'll let you know).

I haven't forgotten about the recordings - I've been waiting for a new iBook that has analog input = I can add a quality mike preamp + microphone and place myself in some better acoustic surroundings (than my kitchen). Have patience.

/Henrik

An early advice (though people are divided on this...): do not push the thumbs all the way through the thumb straps. Let the instrument "hang" on the first part of the thumb. I think most EC players do it this way (though I am sure a thread can be started about this..). Only my personal view.

I'm going to take some photos of my new baby as soon as I get hold of a digital camera (in two weeks) and I'll let you see it.

Now after some trying I've found the G chord and maybe the C. I can't manage to find the D yet. How long does it really take to learn to find the notes and play melodies without too many delays (=breaks while I'm

trying to find the note)? It seems impossible today, but I'm at least beginning to find the C scale. I'm using the chart from www.concertina.com, even it's for 48 key concertinas.

I'm going to take some photos of my new baby as soon as I get hold of a digital camera (in two weeks) and I'll let you see it.

Now after some trying I've found the G chord and maybe the C. I can't manage to find the D yet. How long does it really take to learn to find the notes and play melodies without too many delays (=breaks while I'm

trying to find the note)? It seems impossible today, but I'm at least beginning to find the C scale. I'm using the chart from www.concertina.com, even it's for 48 key concertinas.

We can't wait!

Don't get hooked on 56/48/or whatever numbers of keys - the English system is "repeating" - if you study the chart from The Concertina Library for a while, you will realise that it can be extended ad infinitum upwards and downwards. Look at the two inner rows as the piano's white keys and the two outer rows as the piano's blacks - #s and bs.

So - which finger goes where?

I have taken Bob Gaskin's chart and added fingers:

post-448-1131919265_thumb.jpg

See? Indexfingers go on the second row (from the thumb strap) and middle fingers go on the second row (from the pinkie rest). The ring fingers handle the outer row closest to the pinkie rest, the index fingers move from the second row to the outer row closest to the thumb rests when required (not very often in the "ordinary" keys in Irish music).

Stick religiously to this fingering in the beginning. There are off course situations where the rules are better broken (especially in Irish music), but that comes later.

I have added a D chord (major and minor) - again, I believe that you can work out the rest of the system from looking at this: all basic chord lie in "triangles" - change to/from the #/b and you change between major and minor.

This should keep you awake for a while!

/Henrik

Thanks Henrik for that pic and especially the D chord!! I've only been using two-finger chords so far but I'll try those triangle things that also Jim wrote me about. I've been playing a lot today, when I had found the chords I played back-up while my boyfriend played the mandolin and it was so much fun!!!!!! Now I can actually accompany myself while singing, I mostly sing in the key of C. The next step will be to play melodies...I guess I'll have to sit in front of the computer looking at the chart and having some simple tune in notation beside me, and pick note by note. I wish I could play the rest of the night but I'm working early tomorrow....

Thanks for the fingering too. I read about it somewhere else, and using that fingering acttually made it easier to find the scale.

Ok, off to bed...another day tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Anglo or not, this was a chance I just couldn't miss. It probably happens once every 30th year or so that you can find a concertina for that price..

I haven't forgotten about the recordings -

/Henrik

So, finally!

I have added a few tunes on a "Tunes" page on my site.

I also have asked our "Recorded Tunes" web master,

the honourable Henk van Aalten,

to link them to his "Recorded Tunes Link Page",

so they will appear there in due time.

/Henrik

I also have asked our "Recorded Tunes" web master,

the honourable Henk van Aalten,

to link them to his "Recorded Tunes Link Page",

so they will appear there in due time.

/Henrik

The "Recorded Tunes Link Page Editorial Committee" had an extra meeting on this subject late last night. After drinking some beers and seeing pictures of the instrument they voted unanimously in favour of Henrik's tunes and decided to have an extra beer..

:) :)

Thanks Henrik, it sounds great! If you play any Swedish tunes it would be nice to hear them too.

I'm moving forward with my concertina, I can play most simple tunes (like hymns) from sheet music and I'm beginning to be able to find my way on the instrument by ear a little bit. I'm having so much fun with it! I bought a book with Irish polkas last weekend so I'm going to try to learn some polkas. I can almost play the Swedish polka "Björklunds polketta" by ear. Quite slowly though.

Thanks Henrik, it sounds great! If you play any Swedish tunes it would be nice to hear them too.

I'm moving forward with my concertina, I can play most simple tunes (like hymns) from sheet music and I'm beginning to be able to find my way on the instrument by ear a little bit. I'm having so much fun with it! I bought a book with Irish polkas last weekend so I'm going to try to learn some polkas. I can almost play the Swedish polka "Björklunds polketta" by ear. Quite slowly though.

Glad you liked them. I was close to adding a Swedish tune, until I listened to the source (Per Gudmundsson, bagpipe) and realised that I had done what I often do: used the tune as a skeleton, and ended up with something far from the original. The feel is there, though, so I can put it on the site, if you like (now that you are properly warned :P ).

A word about Irish polkas out of books. As Scandinavians we have an easy trap to fall into, when it comes to Irish polkas - we tend to play them as Scandinavian polkas. After being around this music (ITM) for many years, I am still surprised how hard it is to play them with the right lift and flow. Use the notes to learn the melody, but try and find a source to listen to - Jackie Daly, Johnny O'Leary (old records though, though Jackie Daly's is re-issued as CD) - search at amazon.co.uk and find: "Traditional Accordion and Concertina Music from Sliabh Luachra" - a reference record, I would say. Lots of polkas on both concertina and box. The other "reference" record is with Seamus Creagh ("Jackie Daly and Seamus Creagh"), also on amazon.co.uk

The tricky thing is that many of the tunes (not all!) have a seemingly simple, almost nursery-rhyme construction - easy to be fooled by. Therefore, listening is essential. So, I'll stop rambling now.

/Henrik

Edited to add: Right should be right: there are four CDs with Johnny O'leary on amazon...

Edited by Henrik Müller

...realised that I had done what I often do: used the tune as a skeleton, and ended up with something far from the original.

Sounds like what I do most nights: play with the bits of a couple of tunes that I can remember, "cutting & pasting" them together any old way. Sounds lovely (my wife says so), but the traditionalists would turn away in horror, could they only hear me... :lol:

...realised that I had done what I often do: used the tune as a skeleton, and ended up with something far from the original.
...Sounds lovely (my wife says so), but the traditionalists would turn away in horror, could they only hear me... :lol:

Trust your wife (unless she is planning to buy stuff she knows you will not approve :D) - you are obviously doing it well! So I don't think the traditionalists would be horrified, unless they see traditional music as something deep-frozen at a certain period in time.

What bothered me in the specific instance was when I was surprised to find how much of the tune I had made up <_< and that I was on my way putting it on the web.

/Henrik

I was close to adding a Swedish tune, until I listened to the source (Per Gudmundsson, bagpipe) and realised that I had done what I often do: used the tune as a skeleton, and ended up with something far from the original. The feel is there, though, so I can put it on the site, if you like (now that you are properly warned :P ).

Do put it up. But don't use the name of the tune you developed it from (except maybe in a footnote); instead, give it a name of your own. It is, after all, truly a Swedish tune. And in a few years it could well become "traditional". :)