Is Ther Anybody There?

Well it was the weekend, alot of us might have been doing stuff :). Also perhaps no one has started a compelling enough thread to entice people to post.

Me I was practicing Father Kelly's Reel, learned how to do Crans and then learned the Silver Spear (which I already knew from the Button Accordion). Also started working on Wind that Shakes the Barley. All in all a rather productive weekend :)

--

Bill

I, too, have seen a couple of actual "outages", where I was getting error messages from the database server telling me the service demand was higher than it could handle. ("Try again, later.") But since the upgrade to the new version, I have also been experiencing generally slower response (by roughly a factor of 10, I would guess) when everything is "working". This may just be a lower level of "too heavy" demand, but the fact that it coincides with the upgrade is certainly suspicious.

Me I was practicing Father Kelly's Reel, learned how to do Crans...

Bill

Oooh - a tune called Crans!

If I said I was doing Crans, I'd be making a rather large willow basket to hold herring. In fact I'd more laikely do a quarter cran as a wastepaper basket, Cheshire's not a very herring-y county! "A cran measures 37.5 gallons, and represents about 1300 herring"

http://www.sizes.com/units/cran.htm

and

piccies at http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/gyhsmith/vc98/crafts.htm

Chris Jordan

Me, I had company over the weekend and have been lurking a bit, but mostly just too busy to pop in. But I'm back, sort of, and glad to be here. Now if I can just be home long enough to practice the Jeffries, or try out the little English Mayfair that recently jumped up on my lap, wagged its tail, licked my nose, and enticed me to bring it home...

Some people in North America may just be busy dealing with winter weather, like me. I got to to see the big snow in Indiana/Ohio, the rains in L.A., and the ice storm in Ohio. Almost a relief to be back at work! I've had no access problems and I use a slow connection and an outdated browser.

Ken,

This is the kind of problem I have been getting :

There appears to be an error with the database.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

Error Returned

mySQL query error: SELECT * FROM inv_forumsskin_sets WHERE set_skin_set_id=2

mySQL error: Server shutdown in progress

mySQL error code:

Date: Tuesday 11th of January 2005 02:23:10 PM

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I've had no problem connecting but some days it the forum definitely takes longer to load than others. (Fortunately today is not one of those days :)

Cheers

Morgana :)

Ken,

I have been trying to connect for the past hour and a half, but I have been getting this error message :

mySQL query error: DELETE FROM inv_forumssessions WHERE member_id=436

mySQL error: Can't open file: 'inv_forumssessions.MYI'. (errno: 145)

mySQL error code:

Date: Wednesday 12th of January 2005 02:35:05 PM

Ken and Paul,

I REALLY REALLY LIKE the addition of people's home towns or countries in the listing by their names. THANK YOU SO MUCH. THIS IS GREAT.

So I am getting used to the new forum and like it.

Helen :D

Well, they do sound like busy server messages. . . Maybe the active hours in your part of the world Stephen just have the most C.netters...

Well it never happened before Ken, and I don't think there were that many people online ........... :(

Also, I have twice made "posts" that did not appear. :huh:

I too have found the new site slower than before to load.Some days I have just given up.I was initially getting the same errors that have been quoted but they seem to have stopped.

I must admit that the postings seem to have reduced dramatically which does not add up to an increase in veiwing making it difficult to get through.Is there a link?

Even on my computer at work I am getting the same results.

Al :(

I too have found the new site slower than before to load.Some days I have just given up.I was initially getting the same errors that have been quoted but they seem to have stopped.

Al,

Paul has opened a new thread, Database Errors here in Concertina.net Official Business, where he explains what has been happening re. the server, I only just noticed it this evening :

Yes, I'm aware of the database errors this week. It's not related to the forum software upgrade. The site is hosted on a shared server, and some other site was very busy this week, increasing the load on the database server. This can happen when a site gets a major media mention and so great numbers of people visit a site all within a few hours of publication... The hosting company is aware of the problem and we're monitoring the situation, but things seem to have calmed down now so hopefully the site should be back to normal now. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Paul

Thanks Paul !