Bellows Jig Build

Michael,

Looks clean, light, and accurate. I made my two jigs from solid pine blanks of the right width and hand planed the other 4 sides, not as hard as it sounds but it did make for heavy jigs.

David

My first jig was of a solid blank as well but too short for 7-fold bellows. My second jig was an abs pipe, which I found difficult to use. This one was easy to make and will work with various sized bellows by adding risers or shims.

Edited by Mike Pierceall

I put a slider on mine which holds the end frames firmly in place, so any size can be made by sliding the slider so making the jig long or short, up to eight fold. Depending on the depth of the bellows, if I want them more shallow I wrap slivers of bellows card around with Glad-wrap, the Glad-wrap also stops any glue adhering to the jig, especially when placing gussets.

On mine the shaft has been extended with turning 'knobs' added, one on each affixed to the end, this makes life very easy because when the linen is being hot glued I ask one of the family to sit on the other side of the table and turn the jig (and also for the leather coverings) while I run the linen around and clean up, makes for very quick work.

All the best

David.

David