Who Made This Metal-Ended Anglo?

Daniel Hersh

The thing that struck me about it was the apparent 38 button Jeffries/Crabb/Shakespeare layout, but missing the two central "forth row" buttons and perhaps more markedly, any vestige of a LH thumb button. Makes me wonder about the note layout...

Adrian

The thing that struck me about it was the apparent 38 button Jeffries/Crabb/Shakespeare layout, but missing the two central "forth row" buttons and perhaps more markedly, any vestige of a LH thumb button. Makes me wonder about the note layout...

And that's just the button layout Adrian, never mind the note layout which is something nobody can be sure of until they have the instrument in hand...

I've only once worked on one (a Jeffries) missing those buttons - though I don't entirely rule out the possibility that this instrument might once have had a LH thumb key, or that one might yet be fitted to it - only that was a long time (maybe 35 years?) ago. But my experience of working on Jeffries and Crabb instruments is that there is no one, "bog-standard" fingering layout for them anyway (in fact there are three fingerings that I would consider "normal" and plenty of "abnormal" ones to be found on Jeffries instruments), and I'm sure other tuners of them "from source" would report the same - but they'd normally leave my hands in what would now be considered "standard Jeffries" fingering, unless the customer wanted something else including (heresy of heresies!) "Wheatstone fingering"...

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Although highly probable, without an ID Number I could not claim it to be a Crabb.

As Stephen has said, 'there is no "bog-standard" fingering' and that also applies to any make of Anglo. Even Wheatstone published three 'standard' variations over their period of manufacture.

I, personally, prefer to use the term 'common' instead of 'standard' for the allocation of notes to buttons on Anglo concertinas.

One thing learnt from experience when undertaking re-tuning jobs is to check with the customer if note allocation anomalies are encountered before attempting changes.

Of course, it is common sense to carry out such changes to make an instrument more desirable if a sale is intended.

Concerning button configuration, this list may be enlightening

Geoffrey