Tutor For Stagi Mini (18 Button)

rth97601

Hi folks!

In the years since I last was on the forums, I have been without a concertina--I sold my Jackie in a clear-out (too many instruments, and it was mostly gathering dust) and intended to leave the squeezeboxes behind forever.

Then I sort of accidentally on-purpose ended up winning an e-bay auction for a Stagi A-18 in good shape (a $200-or-so just-in-case bid took it).

It's neat, and I quite like it, but it's also a little different, particularly in the way it fits the hands.

What little skill I had with the Jackie has pretty much rusted all away anyway, so I'm essentially starting entirely over.

I've done my forum research, and have found the PDFs of the layouts and scales posted by Delbert Blacketter and Dennis Gentofte (via Ladyhealer), and these have been a great visual reference (Thank You!). I also have plenty of books of tin whistle tunes and other trad tunes that are pitched in the right key and range, but a good general tutor that doesn't run at cross purposes with the mini layout would be nice too.

Any recommendations on this one?

• 1 month later...

Hello: I'm wondering how you're doing with your mini Stagi. I'm a beginner and am considering the same instrument, but I've read that starting with a mini is not advisable, though I'm not sure for what reason. I'm basically after a small, very portable concertina sounding the same notes on the push and pull. Are you happy with the playability of your mini? Would you recommend anything else?

Thanks very much, and happy playing!

SqueezyStephen

Belmont, California

I've got a Stagi Mini which I love, but would strongly advise beginners to avoid until they are proficient on a regular size concertina.

For one thing, it's awkward and (to me) hand cramping to play for a long time. It's fun, but limited. Best to learn on a standard size instrument, and later acquire a mini for its specialized (and very fun) uses.

The standard sized concertina is plenty small and portable.

Mike

I like the feel, though my hands are pretty big and it does tighten the fingers up a bit ... but the Jackie, as I recall wasn't exactly spacious, in fingerboard terms, either.

The Jackie was probably smoother, action-wise, but I'm working from memory and have never handled a really top-rate instrument anyhow, so my thoughts on playability probably don't count for much ... though I can say it isn't junk, like some of the cheap e-bay anglos.

It is limited in range, but so are many instruments ... as long as you don't expect it to be something it isn't, it's fine.

For my purposes, it's all I have, and the budget won't bear another, better one, so it's what I'm learning on. It may not be ideal, in terms of learning English playing in general, but it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...