Newbie Looking For Tunes To Learn.

stetix

Hi, I am new to the anglo concertina. I have learned a couple of tunes so far I learned on the internet. Can you please give me your top 5 must know list of tunes in either irish or english traditional? I would be very grateful. I play an edgley 30b c/g. Thanks.

When considering Irish traditional music, be wary of looking only at jigs & reels. Do not overlook the marvellous slow airs.

In that category, I would suggest the Lark in the clear air, and The Coolin.

On the last tune, I can share an amusing anecdote.

I lent a tune book to a friend specifically so that he could get the notation for the Coolin. He told me he could not find it in the alphabetical index.

When I checked, I found it was not listed under 'C' for Coolin as he expected. It was listed under T for 'The'.

Regards

John

Hornpipes are fun, and a few easy ones are session standards:

-Off to California (pairs nicely with Rights of Man, but that's a little tricky)

Boys of Blue Hill/Harvest Home

Rakes of Mallow/Girl I left Behind Me is a good set of easy tunes as well.

Hi, I am new to the anglo concertina. I have learned a couple of tunes so far I learned on the internet. Can you please give me your top 5 must know list of tunes in either irish or english traditional? I would be very grateful. I play an edgley 30b c/g. Thanks.

Five picked 'at random' from my (admittedly still small) repertoire:

Moncks March (as it happens, this one appears in Lester's Tune-A-Day)

German Musicianer (needs use of 'accidental' on non-home row on 20-button instrument)

Bounding Billows (good 'first tune'? Whatever, it's not 'When the Saints', 'Twinkle, Twinkle', or 'Three Blind Mice'...)

The Island Lass (needs use of 'accidental' row on 30-button instrument)

La Carmeline (note the Gallic interloper - loads a good French stuff out there...)

If asked tomorrow, I would pick 5 different tunes - I only learn 'must-have' tunes.

Good luck - I'm a novice too!

Roger

[edited later to clarify meaning]

Edited by lachenal74693

When considering Irish traditional music, be wary of looking only at jigs & reels. Do not overlook the marvellous slow airs.

In that category,

Very true. You might think of "Down By The Sally Gardens" or "On Raglan Road" and the likes as well... :)

Thank you Blue Eye and Roger. I am listening to each one and really falling in love with some of the suggestions. Planxty Irwin is a gem and sounds fairly easy to learn. cant wait to dig in.

In that category,

Very true. You might think of "Down By The Sally Gardens" or "On Raglan Road" and the likes as well... :)

OMG Wolf, Sally Gardens nearly made me cry. What a beautiful melody!