No Neck Strap For The Jackie/jack.

I just received a note from the Concertina Connection that Jackie/Jack concertinas are not able to be neck strapped because of their weight and balance.

I suppose they should know because they make the Jackie/Jack, but has anyone here tried?

That would be great. Thanks.

We haven't had call yet to install neckstraps to a Jack/Jackie/Rochelle but we do make and sell concertina neckstrap hardware. I'll check into how compatible the both are next time I'm in the shop.

-- Rich --

Some of the pictures I saw have the neck straps connected to the thumb strap screws, no extra holes in the concertina required.

We haven't had call yet to install neckstraps to a Jack/Jackie/Rochelle but we do make and sell concertina neckstrap hardware. I'll check into how compatible the both are next time I'm in the shop.

-- Rich --

Some of the pictures I saw have the neck straps connected to the thumb strap screws, no extra holes in the concertina required.
I've seen that as well - and it may work well though most thumbstraps were/are not designed for that type of load. They are meant to resist sideways forces rather than withdrawal forces. There is also concern that the threaded portion isn't long enough (just a couple rotations could make them come out if your neckstrap material is thickish and/or have cushy thumbstraps).

-- Rich --

I added a neck strap to my Jackie. I put picture hanger hardware under the screws that hold the ends on, the ones right next to the thumb strap. I got the hangers at a hardware store. Then I just clipped the strap onto the hanger.

Shall post a picture?

Russell Hedges

Turns out we (the Button Box) have two neckstrap options.... One is a tab and d-ring that is sized to be secured by the thumbstrap screws (between head and strap. The length and tight threads of the thumstrap screw seems to make this a good option for support - except that the insert is nothing more than a nut glued (?) into the endframe. I'm not sure how much tugging it would take to loosen the nut and have the thing fall off.

The other option is to use our D-ring, post-and-nut hardware (we designed and had produced for us). This does involve drilling a small diameter hole in the endframe or bellows frame though, but it is incredibly strong and secure.

-- Rich --

• 9 years later...

I am a new concertina player. I Bought a Jackie last week. I learned of this forum by searching for a neck strap idea. Russell, thank you for your idea of using picture hangers. I put four of them on my Jackie so it would balance. This is my first post on this forum.

Edited by Konstantin-MMRR