Rules, Conventions, And Sharing C.net

:ph34r: B) :ph34r:
I don't understand the meaning of these symbols would it be possible for someone to translate this

Emoticons tend to be subject to interpretation, both contextual and personal. E.g., " B) ", which looks like somebody wearing dark glasses: That could be used to mean "Joe Cool" (or commentary from the same), or a blind man ("I don't see", or "I don't want to see"), or someone hiding their identity or emotions. It can also be used ironically or sarcastically, e.g., to mean "I'm pretending to hide" or "you think you're being subtle, but you're not". Even the original "smiley", " :) ", can mean such different things as, "I'm happy", "I'm happy for you", "I wish you happiness", and even "that's mildly amusing". The " :ph34r: " emoticon can be variously seen as a ninja, someone hiding their identity, a spy, a scuba diver, and more, depending on context.

If you want to know what a particular person means when they use the different emoticons, a good way to learn is to review that person's old posts and see how s/he uses them in other contexts. (With me, you should come to the conclusion that I use each one to mean different things at different times, so you'll have to interpret them in view of what you learn my general opinions and attitudes to be.)

As with simple text, there's plenty of room for interpretation, misinterpretation, and deliberate ambiguity. I have my own idea what Peter meant by his little string of emoticons, but I could be wrong. More to the point, if he had wanted to say it outright, he would have. I suspect he used the emoticons so that others -- including newcomers -- would have to guess his meaning, rather than be told. So I'm not going to spoil that by posting my interpretation.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To StephenChambers

Ihave in my possession ,recordings of Mrs crotty, Packie Russell, Alistair anderson, Steve Turner,

Anglo intenational, Anglophilia,Alistair andersons tutor, Sarah graves, Thats enough for the moment. Ihave seen the footage of Madeline o Dowd, over twenty years old. so I am aware of her style. Choice of style is subjective, Ill decide for myself thankyou.

Edited by Toireasa Breathnach

Ihave in my possession ,recordings of Mrs crotty, Packie Russell, Alistair anderson, Steve Turner,

Anglo intenational, Anglophilia,Alistair andersons tutor, Sarah graves, Thats enough for the moment. Ihave seen the footage of Madeline o Dowd, over twenty years old. so I am aware of her style. Choice of style is subjective, Ill decide for myself thankyou.

Hi Toireasa,

I know you're new to playing so I hope you don't mind if I give my opinion for what it's worth. I've been playing for about 15 months now and I've found that every time I've met a player significantly better than me I've learned a great deal of new things. Everybody has a slightly different approach and the opportunity for learning is limitless.

I'm sure Dick is an excellent teacher and I have no doubt that he, like any teacher worth their salt, would encourage you to seek out as many influences as possible - especially if you are getting the chance to meet the player in person. I'd at least discuss this with him to get his opinion, but I'd be surprised if he discouraged you.

I don't play EC or Irish music but if I lived locally and had such an offer I would still grab it with both hands. These kind of offers don't come around very often and you might find in years to come you'll be kicking yourself for turning down such a chance. How much time would it take? A few hours? A day? That's not very much if you are planning on a lifetime of playing.

Well. There you go. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Good luck with the playing.

- W

Hi Toireasa,

I know you're new to playing so I hope you don't mind if I give my opinion for what it's worth. I've been playing for about 15 months now and I've found that every time I've met a player significantly better than me I've learned a great deal of new things. Everybody has a slightly different approach and the opportunity for learning is limitless.

I'm sure Dick is an excellent teacher and I have no doubt that he, like any teacher worth their salt, would encourage you to seek out as many influences as possible - especially if you are getting the chance to meet the player in person. I'd at least discuss this with him to get his opinion, but I'd be surprised if he discouraged you.

I don't play EC or Irish music but if I lived locally and had such an offer I would still grab it with both hands. These kind of offers don't come around very often .

- W

Yes your points are valid enough. However I didnt make a request from Stephen Chambers for this information. I was aware of Madelines existence, but deliberately chose Dick Miles, because I thought he would be able to help with other things apart and as well as Irish music. Secondly I cant afford to pay for two teachers. Thirdly the offer hasnt been made, and I have a teacher I am satisfied with, That doesnt mean I wont be listening to Madeline in fact already have done so and had done so before Stephen Chambers made his comments, which again was why I chose Dick Miles, and I will continue to listen to Madeline, and many others. Edited by Toireasa Breathnach

Yes your points are valid enough. However I didnt make a request from Stephen Chambers for this information.

I thought he was just being friendly. I know you are new to this forum - when you've been on here longer you will see people make offers like this all the time. The generousity of fellow players is one of the things that make this forum so special.

I cant afford to pay for two teachers.

I don't think a formal teaching arrangement was mentioned was it? To me it just sounded like Stephen Chambers was suggesting you meet her informally.

Thirdly the offer hasnt been made
I know a woman in West Limerick who's a great player of Irish traditional music on the English concertina, an All Ireland Champion on it no less. If you met I'm sure she could show you a thing or two about how to play it.

I presumed that an offer was implied in the statement - i.e. that Stephen would introduce you to her if you wanted.

It's a shame you're resistant to this idea - I think you are missing an opportunity - but I assume that you have your reasons.

Best of luck with learning the EC

- W

To StephenChambers

Toireasa,

Gosh, I'm startled by your response, you sound angry with me, almost as though you feel that I've made a personal attack on you? :unsure:

I'm sorry if that's the case! :(

You're very lucky to have a copy of Alistair Anderson's tutor, it's been out of print for around a quarter of a century, how on earth did you find it? I ask because I've been trying to get a replacement copy myself for all that time, having lent mine to somebody 30 years ago and never seen it again. :angry:`

Edited to avoid misinterpretation.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I don't understand the meaning of these symbols would it be possible for someone to translate this

:ph34r: this one is simply called ph 34 r -- it just looks kind of mysterious, like a masked Bandit

B) this one is called B ) -- it looks sorta like Joe Cool with sunglasses and a wry smile

You can find out the "meanings" of each of the symbols when you're in Reply mode; just look over at the "Clickable Smilies" on the left, and click on Show All. A new screen opens that tells you their "meanings."

Perhaps others have different interpretations of the above.

[ )To Stephen Chambers

[/]I have a photo copy of the book. I think you can get copies somewhere in the states, cant remember the adress,sorry thats the best I can do.

The Button Box is one place that has the photocopies of the book.

The Button Box is one place that has the photocopies of the book.

Thanks Barbara, I might have to make do with a photocopy for now then, but I'm a "Librarian" (;)) by inclination as well as by former occupation, and would much prefer a "proper" printed copy on my shelves. It seems to be a remarkably rare publication these days, original copies virtually never coming up on eBay (unlike the Alf Edwards one, which often surfaces), what a pity it isn't still in print!

But it's annoying to no longer have it simply because I did a good deed and lent it to somebody who was learning at the time. :(

B) this one is called B ) -- it looks sorta like Joe Cool with sunglasses and a wry smile

That's not so much "what it's called", but what you write to get it. Originally, these "emoticons" -- as they're called -- were developed as shorthand ways of expressing emotions in text "typewritten" on a computer keyboard, because they were felt to "look like" a face expressing a particular emotion. E.g., the original "smiley" was ":-)", like a smiling face on its side. Similarly, a frown was ":-(". Later, these got abbreviated, with some people leaving out the "nose".

"B-)" was just intended to represent a person with glasses, though with whatever connotations that might have in a particular context (e.g., "nerd"). But with the internet browsers' ability to insert little images into their display, many applications stopped using the "typewritten" characters and replaced them with graphic interpretations of the original symbols. This has resulted in changes in interpretation, as such graphics may be subject to the artist's own personal interpretation. E.g., here in the C.net Forum, "B)" is no longer just a guy with glasses, but a guy with dark glasses.

:ph34r: this one is simply called ph 34 r -- it just looks kind of mysterious, like a masked Bandit

Somewhere along the way -- I'm not sure of the time sequence, -- a convention developed that expressions or "emotions" for which no suitable graphic-character representation could be found might simpy be written between colons. Among those available here on this forum are ":huh:", ":lol:" (an abbreviation for "laughing out loud"), ":rolleyes:", and ":unsure:". But here we see the underlying text only when we're using the edit window. Folks reading the posts see only those special graphics -- in the case of ":rolleyes:", an animated graphic, -- not the underlying text. So interpretation gets even trickier. ":unsure:" is one I use a lot, but I'm not sure I would have assumed that meaning for that particular face if I hadn't seen the characters which invoke it.

":ph34r:" is a particularly tricky "smiley" (does that look like a "smile" to you?), because so many people seem not to know the meaning of the underlying characters. It's been pointed out to me that it's a sort of punny way to spell "fEAr". That would account for the ninja-like graphic... something one should fear, but I'd guess that most of us don't think of it as fear itself, but as some sort of warning (often a tongue-in-cheek warning), and in a particular context it might be construed to mean spying, a disguise, or even a scuba diver. It's the graphic that's being interpreted, not the underlying "text".

Edited to correct a typo.

Edited by JimLucas

As an aside, Toireasa I assume you are in contact with Dick. Is he OK, or on holiday or something? He doesn't seem to be posting very frequently at the moment which seems out of character.

- W

While you're deciding, I would recommend that for song accompaniment on English concertina two excellent persons to listen to would be Alf Edwards (who often accompanied Ewan MacColl and Bert Lloyd) and Louis Killen. I'm fairly certain that Dick Miles would agree. In fact, I think Louis is a friend of Dick's. (Alf, alas, has passed on.)

I know a woman in West Limerick who's a great player of Irish traditional music on the English concertina, an All Ireland Champion on it no less. If you met I'm sure she could show you a thing or two about how to play it.
I presumed that an offer was implied in the statement - i.e. that Stephen would introduce you to her if you wanted.

Exactly so, indeed I'm hoping that Madeleine will get back into playing again soon, having taken an extended break to raise a family, and the interest could have encouraged her. But at the moment I have her concertinas here for repair; both the Joseph Scates she learnt on, and won the All Ireland on, and the Æola that I later got for her.

... I cant afford to pay for two teachers.

That's just as well, as the only person she's planning on teaching (at the moment anyway) is her son, when both instruments are ready.

As an aside, Toireasa I assume you are in contact with Dick. Is he OK, or on holiday or something? He doesn't seem to be posting very frequently at the moment which seems out of character.

- W

Dick Miles is very busy playing music.He said to me, that you should restart whereart thou Helen.He also said that he was concerned that people might get the wrong Impression [put two and two together and make 5 so to speak]Regarding Stephen Chambers missing concertina tutor. somepeople on this forum know that they used to share a house in Leyton. and that Dick Miles was a resident at the Three BlacKbirds He Wants it publicly known that he didnt borrow the tutor 30 years ago, that he in fact has his own copy that he bought when he bought the Concertina Workshop L P . He thinks Stephen lent it to a girl, and in fact remembers Stephen complaining to him[DickMiles]about it.Toodle pip.

Dick ... doesn't seem to be posting very frequently ...

Woody,

Actually, he hasn't even logged onto C.net since Toireasa joined the forum. :huh:

Dick Miles ... said that he was concerned that people might get the wrong Impression [put two and two together and make 5 so to speak]Regarding Stephen Chambers missing concertina tutor.

Toireasa,

I'm sorry but the only suggestion of that is in your own post. :(

He thinks Stephen lent it to a girl and in fact remembers Stephen complaining to him[DickMiles]about it.

That's strange, he didn't mention it when he rang me last night.

Who is this girl I wonder? :huh:

Toodle pip.

Gosh, now there's an expression that I haven't heard since I left England, 20-odd years ago! :)

Dick ... doesn't seem to be posting very frequently ...

Woody,

Actually, he hasn't even logged onto C.net since Toireasa joined the forum. :huh:

Blimey, that's odd for somebody averaging 3.5 posts per day. By my reckoning that means we've missed out on 38.5 posts :(

Wow, looks like taking concertina lessons with Dick makes you also type like him, grammar, spelling, keyboard skills and all! Scary or what? :ph34r: