Inherited C.Jeffries advice

Hi I have recently inherited a C.Jeffries concertina and i am after a little bit of advice on what to do with as far as resale...Is it worth getting the concertina fully restored before selling or just selling it as it is....It is i would say in good conditon and doesnt have any obvious damage and it plays although i know nothing about them at all..I understand from reading on various topics on here they are worth quite a lot of money fully restored..if any more pics are required please tell me and ill take some more...Could anyone give me any info on the history of this concertina also

Cheers in advance for any replies Andy

post-9994-0-06293900-1335123141_thumb.jpgpost-9994-0-07068000-1335123181_thumb.jpgpost-9994-0-88055300-1335123207_thumb.jpgpost-9994-0-67664800-1335123245_thumb.jpg

Hi I have recently inherited a C.Jeffries concertina and i am after a little bit of advice...

Andy, your location is given as Sunderland. I'm guessing that since that's all it says, it's the one in the UK. But if it's the one in Massachusetts (USA), then you should take the instrument directly to the Button Box on Amherst Road for a hands-on evaluation.

...its the one in the UK

In that case, you might contact Theo Gibb (concertina.net member Theo), proprietor of The Box Place in Gateshead. Your photos are helpful, but nothing beats being able to handle the instrument "in the flesh" and even open it up to examine the works in detail.

Edited by JimLucas

...its the one in the UK

In that case, you might contact Theo Gibb (concertina.net member Theo), proprietor of The Box Place in Gateshead. Your photos are helpful, but nothing beats being able to handle the instrument "in the flesh" and even open it up to examine the works in detail.

Thanks jim ill give him a ring tomorrow

Yes I'll be happy to advise

Hi i will ring you tomorrow and probably call through,i also have a hohner ivn musette acordion and a carlo carsini acordion you could have a look at for me please

Can you let us know what keys it is in when Theo has seen and played it?

Theo has the Jeffries now so he will be able to tell you as i know nothing about them

It is CG and is in reasonably good condition, pitch is pretty close to concert. It needs new pads, possibly some valves, and a bit of tuning, it appears to have been well looked after and has been well played.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy has now asked me to arrange the sale of this instrument. It is not quite ready yet, but I have seen to the cosmetics and posted details on my website . Asking price is £5200 which is a bit below the top price for this model and reflects the fact that the bellows, while fully functional, are not as pretty as they might be. Otherwise condition is good.