(something) 101

Hi all,

I'm looking at a site called "Squeezebox 101", and I've just realised I keep seeing this usage of the number 101 but I haven't the faintest what it means.:unsure: Assuming it is some sort of American usage, can any of our American compadres tell me?

TIA

Chris

It is the perennial numbering of an introductory or survey course in many American colleges and Universities. My astronomy course is actually 105-106, but that is because 101-102 is Geology and 103-104 is Meteorology/Oceanography in my Dept. But English 101, Chemistry 101, etc. are common requirements many people rue having to take at the time and lampoon/imitate years later. Hence "NNN 101" as the name for any introductory survey. Had no idea it was a solely American usage (how typical of a Yankee) but then I never thought about it. I tend to use other terms myself.

And I thought that the number 101 had to do with spotted dogs.....................

And I thought it was a card game where you had to accumulate 101 points to win.......................

Anyway, I Googled 101 and got "about 101,000,000" results. :o

Weird or what ? :huh:

Happy Christmas ! :)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

And I thought that the number 101 had to do with spotted dogs.....................

D

And I thought it was to do with an esteemed model of Indian motorcycle from the 1930s. Like this.

Theo

• 2 weeks later...

Here in the UK we have a television programme called "Room 101".

"Room 101" is a notional room and a celebrity is invited to select a number of items which he detests/considers worthless/annoying to be put into the room and be got rid of. This can include personal items, pop groups, politicians or anything he likes although he must put up a good case for getting rid of them.

I can think of plenty of things I would like to see go into the room but I'm not going to mention Tony Blair, George Bush, PA's etc. to avoid giving offence ;) . I would however certainly put Tsunamis in there first. :(

I wonder what other folks would like to see in there?

Pete

"Room 101" is a notional room and a celebrity is invited to select a number of items which he detests/considers worthless/annoying to be put into the room and be got rid of.

When someone in The Netherlands says he is "going to visit room 101", it means he is going to the toilet (for the UK: he is going to wash his hands). :)

Here in the UK we have a television programme called "Room 101".

"Room 101" is a notional room and a celebrity is invited to select a number of items which he detests/considers worthless/annoying to be put into the room and be got rid of. This can include personal items, pop groups, politicians or anything he likes although he must put up a good case for getting rid of them.

Pete

Sounds like a very boring tv programme

Sounds like a very boring tv programme

It's fronted by Paul Merton, who is one of the funniest men alive, so it has its moments.

For myself, I would put in Room 101 anyone who says on eBay things like "GORGEOUS NEW C/G CONCERTINA AND CASE CAJUN SQUEEZE BOX" or "ANTIQUE BANDONION ACCORDIAN/ CONCERTINA" (both these are currently on eBay) or who uses the word VINTAGE in the title.

Chris

It's fronted by Paul Merton, who is one of the funniest men alive, so it has its moments.

I have heard Paul Merton on the radio programme "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" which is the most hilarious show I've heard - and Paul is very funny.

"Reykjavík 101" is a cult Icelandic film, about the intertwined love-lifes of a selfish young waster, and, er..., his mother. 101 is the postcode of a trendy district of central Reykjavík. Recommended viewing (if you are into that kind of thing).

The unfunny TV programme "Room 101" takes its name from the Orwell novel.