Arran Concertina Event 2006

11 concertina players (7 Anglo, 4 English), a hurdy-gurdy man, a trumpeter, a storyteller and two hangers-on took party in ACE 2006. I was pleased and surprised by the popularity of the band feature and will certainly include it in future Arran Concertina Events. Other sessions over the weekend included getting to know your way around your instrument both inside and out, how to play for and dance a Strathspey, simple ragtime tunes, Anglo fingering for Irish traditional music, using music to add atmosphere to a spoken story, a very simple session for Anglo plus the usual evening sessions "at home" and at the Lagg Hotel. The weekend finished on a high as we packed ourselves into the small front bar of the Ormidale Hotel to take part in the local weekly folk session where, as last year, great atmosphere was generated in this tiny space.

As “organiser” of ACE, all I do is make sure that there is accommodation, food and drink, and a blank timetable available. To be honest, the precise mix of players is not so important as a shared willingness to make this do-it-yourself music weekend as interesting, informative and adventurous as possible - and that ingredient was certainly around in abundance. Thanks to all participants for making it such a fun weekend. See y'all next year!

Samantha

PS I think I'll leave that typo where is it :)

PPS I've just realised that this post looks as though I didn't miss any of the 2005 crowd who weren't there. That's just not true, and I, too, was worried that with almost all newcomers the event would not run so smoothly. I am happy to report that those worries were unfounded - and I'd love to see all '05 and '06 participants back next year.

Edited by Samantha

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pleased and surprised by the popularity of the band feature and will certainly include it in future Arran Concertina Events.

Hi Samantha,

If I understand correctly, some of the music was supplied by my old friend Ian Munro, of Kilmarnock.

Regards,

Peter.

I was pleased and surprised by the popularity of the band feature and will certainly include it in future Arran Concertina Events.

Hi Samantha,

If I understand correctly, some of the music was supplied by my old friend Ian Munro, of Kilmarnock.

Regards,

Peter.

Absolutely. He's been very helpful. I hope to meet up with him at some point.

Samantha

Well I finally got around to posting some pictures on the web. Bored with all of the concertina talk, my nephew (Arran) went off for a walk and I gave him my camera to get a few extra photos. I feel they give a little bit of a flavour of the place. The pictures even include a submarine for good measure spotted from the ferry home.

You can find them here:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/Arranpics

Pete

Pete, thanks for the fabulous pictures. I think I would have a hard time staying inside, even in the company of a bunch of concertina enthusiasts, if I found myself in a place like that. Not that I'm very likely to get to this event anytime soon...

:)

Steven