50 Key Treble

Robin Harrison

Does anyone know what would be an acceptible and fair bid for this gem? I don't want to bid too low but I don't want to go too high either!

I'd have thought the $6,100 price it went for originally was about right, but that deal didn't go through for some reason. However, with its newly established links with Gregory and Boris Matusewitch, somebody might possibly consider it worth more... :unsure:

Does anyone know what would be an acceptible and fair bid for this gem? I don't want to bid too low but I don't want to go too high either!

I'd have thought the $6,100 price it went for originally was about right, but that deal didn't go through for some reason. However, with its newly established links with Gregory and Boris Matusewitch, somebody might possibly consider it worth more... :unsure:

And don't forget for UK buyers there's a substantial shipping charge, with customs duty & VAT (equivalent to around 25% of purchase price) on top of the final price paid.

Steve

I think..............others may correct me..................that $6100 was the hightest price ever bid for an

English concertina on eBay.

It is somewhat late to be described as from the "great period".So as a player I it MAY not be a really great concertina and not worth "the top price ever".

It has interesting historical connections but these seem not to translate into greater monetary value.............if it was a family instrument and you are reuniting it with the family,you may want to pay more.

It's a beauty so that increases it's value.Great "Wow" factor at cock-tail parties.

You have to factor in duties,premiums etc (I tend not to factor in shipping) to the total price.

I havn't read the spec. recently, but if it's not been played it may need valves & re-tuning ( old pads often seem fine)...........subtract that from the your bid.

So,I think around US$5000 is what it I would bid if I wanted it.

If I REALLY wanted it I would bid $6100 but understanding it's a keeper and I may not re-coup that if I decided to re-sell in the short term.In ten years time,different story.

If I wanted a top english treble at a good price, I would wait for a Wheatstone Model 22 to come along.............still the most under-valued English out there ?

Robin

If I REALLY wanted it I would bid $6100 but understanding it's a keeper and I may not re-coup that if I decided to re-sell in the short term.

That's what I was meaning, I wouldn't worry about what other people say is "the market value", but rather "how badly do I want this, what is it worth to me?"

If I wanted a top english treble at a good price, I would wait for a Wheatstone Model 22 to come along.............still the most under-valued English out there ?

When I was dealing in London, years ago, I used to get plenty of them, but they seem not to come up too often these days. Maybe those who have them regard them as "keepers" and they're hanging on to them? :unsure:

Edited for clarification.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

..................I know this is a bit of a thread drift ( but I did start the thread so I won't be too upset) and I'd be interested to hear what you think Stephen.

I've always regarded the Wheatstone Model 22 to be the equal of the Aeola but without the cachet name.I believe the Aeola was developed as a marketing ploy to match the Lachenal Edeophone,but both from personal observation and looking at the old price lists, there seems to be no difference in workmanship or reed quality.

Is that fair comment ?

Robin

..................I'd be interested to hear what you think Stephen.

I've always regarded the Wheatstone Model 22 to be the equal of the Aeola but without the cachet name.I believe the Aeola was developed as a marketing ploy to match the Lachenal Edeophone,but both from personal observation and looking at the old price lists, there seems to be no difference in workmanship or reed quality.

Is that fair comment ?

Robin,

Not quite, though the later octagonal Aeola probably was a reply to Lachenal's Edeophone.

The Aeola was originally a six-sided new "artistic" instrument before the Edeophone even went into production, whilst old price lists and observation of instruments indicate that the choicest materials were reserved for the Aeolas, and that the octagonal ones had "finest special grade new steel vibrators (large scale)" [i.e. long-scale reeds] which was facilitated by the shape of the instrument.

Personally I'd rather have an Aeola, but some people might prefer the "Best hexagonal" Model 22.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice... ;)

Edited for clarification.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

And this time around it sold for US $6,450.55... ;)

... maybe it was bought with a currency more valuable than dollars.

The extremely low value of the dollar at the moment may well have been a factor, certainly I was thinking of it as "only £3,000" last time it was auctioned. Presumably it was the Matusewitch connection that made it go for more this time, it would be more usual for the price to drop the second time around.

I will now play mine with greater reverence.

Indeed so, it sounds like your 50-key, and Jim's, must also be linked to Gregory Matusewitch... :unsure: (Though they don't have the provenance that this one had - it does make a difference.)

... maybe it was bought with a currency more valuable than dollars.

The extremely low value of the dollar at the moment may well have been a factor, certainly I was thinking of it as "only £3,000" last time it was auctioned. Presumably it was the Matusewitch connection that made it go for more this time, it would be more usual for the price to drop the second time around.

I will now play mine with greater reverence.

Indeed so, it sounds like your 50-key, and Jim's, must also be linked to Gregory Matusewitch... :unsure: (Though they don't have the provenance that this one had - it does make a difference.)

I emailed the seller to say congratulations and to be put on a list if something happens to this bid winner, the seller emailed me back saying that the US buyer had already paid and it's a done deal! All I can say is WOW, I would have loved to have that beauty for my own. Looks like it is a record holder for ebay! You must admit, the Matusewitch connection helped, although the instrument was a rare find! :(

LAM

Howdy:

I contacted the seller a few days ago from the Craigslist posting just to see what the deal was.

Here was the response I just received after inquiring about how we will do the deal...

"Perry,

Let me explain you how The Online Outpost works. They are one of the best eBay selling services, you simply drop an item to one of their stores or they pick it up from your home, you find a buyer and they will take care of the rest. Before i went to Texas i left 13 items for sale in their custody, they picked them up from my home. The shipping is included in the price of sale, they offered me a discount on shipping because i am selling a large number of items and i can afford that.

Basically, they have the concertina insured and ready for shipping. As soon as i will have your shipping details i will send them to The Online Outpost and they will start the official procedures. They will email you with an invoice and payment instructions, you will have to send the payment to one of their trading assistants by following the payment instructions. After you will send the payment details to them, they will validate the transaction and will start the shipping ASAP. If you will have questions, then you can ask them directly.

So if you agree with this terms and with the price, then i will need your full name and shipping address in order to start the transaction. As soon as i receive this details from you i will forward them to The Online Outpost.

Thanks,

Philip Madson"

Anyway, I went to "THe Online Outpost" website hoping to find the number for the location in Dallas where the guy is supposedly located.

There was no location in Texas listed, no corporate location or number and I did call 2 of their listed locations in Florida, which when they answered mentioned nothing about "The Online Outpost". One was some sort of a corporate office, the other an automotive body shop or something.

Then I called their listed location in Connecticut where the folks told me that there was someone or a group of someones in Texas who were posting big ticket items on Craigslist with the same M.O. They also told me they receive 5 or so calls daily from people like me checking to see if an item really exists. Evidently the fed are on the case from what they said.

Also, went back to Craigslist and the instrument has been delisted.

And here I was on the verge of putting three grand in an envelope and sending it off!!!!

So watch out out there!!!!!

Have fun,

Perry Werner

Also, went back to Craigslist and the instrument has been delisted.

Yes and good that it has been. I contacted the original seller a few days ago to warn her that her instrument had surfaced for sale on Craigslist, Dallas, and so soon after she had sold it on Ebay, that I believed it was a scammer at work. She wrote back, thanking me and eventually managed to get it removed.

Chris

Howdy:

I've decided to continue with my correspondance just to see how far "Philip" will attempt to take this "transaction.

Here are last few exchanges......

"Hi Philip:

Thanks for the information below.

Can you please send a close up photo of the reedpans?

Also a photo of the bellows interior would be helpful before I purchase.

Also, what is the return policy if I do not like this instrument?

Best,

Perry"

Then

"Hi Perry,

I want you to know that the concertina is in perfect conditions.. Right now i am gone in Texas, but i hope that`s not going to be a problem because i can still handle the transaction. Before i went to Texas, i left the concertina along with several other items in the custody of The Online Outpost because i wanted to sell them on eBay when i return, but something came up back home and i decided to sell them before i get back, but not on eBay, because i need to sell them faster.

So if you are still interested let me know because i can make the transaction immediately. Just let me know and i will explain all the details of the transaction...

Thanks,

Philip"

Then

"Perry ,

The Online Outpost suggested to offer a return policy because my offers would substantially increase so i am offering a 10 day guarantee. This eliminates the pick up option but you will have the time to inspect it and decide if you want it or not. If for any reason you decide not to keep it, they will give you a full refund and will return the item on my expense.

Thanks,

Philip"

Then

"Hi Philip:

How do we proceed.

Can you please send a close up photo of the reedpans as earlier requested?

Also a photo of the bellows interior would be helpful before I purchase.

Best,

Perry"

I'm guessing that I will not hear from him again since he's obviously avoiding responding to my request for any additional photos. I was also trying to think of asking him for a photo of something that does not exist like "the doohickey below the fourth backward "c" fret on the left hand side", but I think my request above will be enough. We'll see.

Have fun

(I am)

Perry Werner

Here's the latest......

"Hi Perry,

I can't send you pictures right now because is not in my possession as i said. You will have 10 day to test the real condition. So please let me know if you agree with the price and if you want to proceed with the official transaction.

regards,

Phil"

THEN

"Hi Phil:

How do we proceed?

Best,

Perry"

THEN

"Hi Perry,

I can't send you pictures right now because is not in my possession as i said. You will have 10 day to test the real condition. So please let me know if you agree with the price and if you want to proceed with the official transaction.

regards,

Phil"

THEN

"Perry ,

As i said in one of my emails, as soon as you will agree with the price and want to proceed, then i will need your shipping info so we can start the official transaction. As soon as i receive this details from you i will forward them to The Online Outpost exactly as you sent them.

Thank you,

Philip Madson"

I think I'm not going to respond any further.

What's the use aside from hassling the guy?

I figure he'll been wondering what happened anyway.

Have fun,

Perry Werner