Dipper

chainyanker

I see "I'm a collector and musician."

On his web page the buyer describes himself as a collector. That would be a shame - I hope he plays it, it's crying out to be played.

Chris

Edited by Daniel Hersh

But a musician with 120 melodeons will, with the best will in the world, leave something unplayed....
What would a "musician" be doing with "120 melodeons" collecting firewood??

Saving the rest of us from hearing them? :D B)

]

A thing of wonder and beauty indeed. This is why people wait as long as they do for Dippers. Very unusual that two should come up together. Let's hope this one goes to an unquestioned player.

Oh my heavens. I need to go out and buy some lottery tickets. I'd sell my dogs for this one.

]

A thing of wonder and beauty indeed. This is why people wait as long as they do for Dippers. Very unusual that two should come up together. Let's hope this one goes to an unquestioned player.

Oh my heavens. I need to go out and buy some lottery tickets. I'd sell my dogs for this one.

A thing of beauty. I don't have any dogs, but I may join you on those lottery tickets. But nine-fold bellows? I trust the Dippers wouldn't build something that doesn't work, but that seems a bit much.

it is interesting (and demoralizing to those on the U.S. side of the pond) how much less bite from the wallet the price of this concertina would take from a UK or euro buyer....i was lucky enough to be able to purchase a used dipper clare model a couple of years ago in US dollars....and i do count myself as fortunate....

it is interesting (and demoralizing to those on the U.S. side of the pond) how much less bite from the wallet the price of this concertina would take from a UK or euro buyer....i was lucky enough to be able to purchase a used dipper clare model a couple of years ago in US dollars....and i do count myself as fortunate....

Here`s the link: http://www.spiegel.de/flash/0,5532,14958,00.html

Median household income (PPP)

USA - $46,000

UK - $39,000

If the above is true, average (hmm) american has extra $7,000 a year to spend on Dipper Concertinas. Basically it means that compared to UK, Dippers are free in the US.

That's why America is called "The Land of Free".

Yeepity-yapity Yee-hah!

Edited by m3838

Here`s the link: http://www.spiegel.de/flash/0,5532,14958,00.html

USA - $46,000

UK - $39,000

If the above is true, average (hmm) american has extra $7,000 a year to spend on Dipper Concertinas. Basically it means that compared to UK, Dippers are free in the US.

That's why America is called "The Land of Free".

Yeepity-yapity Yee-hah!

I hadn't realized it worked this way... I'll take two! :)

USA - $46,000

UK - $39,000

If the above is true, average (hmm) american has extra $7,000 a year to spend on Dipper Concertinas.

PPP stands for "purchasing power parity", ie, it is not calculated at actual exchange rates, but in relation to a cost of living index. So, for example, Thai people have a much higher income at PPP than they do at actual exchange rate (in comparison to $, £, €), because the cost of living is low in Thailand.

The US dollar is at approx the lowest level against the pound for several decades. According to this link, http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/PPP.html the US $ exchange rate is currently at about a 28% discount to the PPP rate against the pound and 22% against the euro.

So that means that median household income in the USA at present exchange rate is actually rather lower in the USA than it is in the UK. So I'm with CeeMonster on this. In fact I can't believe that median household income in the UK is as low as $39,000 (£20,000) at current exchange rates, because I thought it was a bit more than £25,000, so that all makes sense. Median, incidentally, for the statistically challenged means 50% are poorer and 50% are richer. Median is invariably lower than average for income, because some people are very very rich, but no one can possibly be poorer than zero. The most extreme case is Equatorial Guinea, where the median income is a dollar a day, but the average income is the same as parts of Europe. That is because it is a small country with a lot of oil, comprising 1 extremely rich dictator and nearly everyone else extremely poor.

I think we will find that the average household income in the USA is rather higher than the UK, even at current exchange rate. That is because households like the Gates household have little effect on the median, but significantly affect the average. That means that if we are talking about the wealthiest - I don't know how much exactly, but for sake of argument let's say - 10% of the US population, they have a shed load of money more than the equivalent in Europe. Probably the wealthy end doesn't include many concertina players in the US. But I also get the impression that there are a lot more (proportionately) "comfortably off" people playing concertina in Europe than in the USA. It is consistent with the number of US people on this forum who say they would find it difficult to rustle up a couple of grand just now. On the other hand, the amount of people, whether in the US or the UK, but especially the former, who seem to be able to rustle up £25,000 just now when it is to buy the latest SUV never ceases to amaze me.

On the other hand, the amount of people, whether in the US or the UK, but especially the former, who seem to be able to rustle up £25,000 just now when it is to buy the latest SUV never ceases to amaze me.

Few people actually rustle up the money for their SUV's or any vehicle for that matter except on a five year payment plan with the Auto loan industry which is quite pleased to get another person in debt to them. Getting a bank loan to buy a concertina somehow doesn't feel as justifiable as a new SUV (after all here you need to drive to go just about anywhere) and the kazillion gallons of gasoline that natually go with the thing.

I know what gets my money, and it is powered by a cup of tea or a pint and a sandwich and lots of air to feed the reeds.

Dana