Holiday concertina pyramid

Greg Jowaisas

Stephen Knoll had sent me his Edeophone to lighten up the action and to check the tuning. Stephen now has it on consignment with me for a price of $3300 + shipping.

It is a nice example of a metal end Edeophone with a strong sound more than capable of holding its own in a session.

I had the pleasure of playing this instrument at the 2012 Old Pal Festival in March. It is a very very nice instrument, and the only thing keeping me from it is my personal indigence. Whoever purchases this Edeophone will have a wonderful instrument in their hands.

Reed, How you doing friend. Thank you for your comments about the Edeophone. She is a great instrument I just unfortunately have too many nice concertinas acquired during my personal period of "concertina acquisition neurosis" :-). You looked and played great with Edeophone are you sure your name isn't written on her?

i wish the pyramid went for the whole year....

Actually a few of this pyramid's items were included last year. Player's needs, finances and fancies change. I try and keep my hands busy refurbishing a concertina or two a month along with a busy repair schedule and some hours spent at Carroll Concertinas. Occasionally there is a personal project which consumes my attention.

You are always welcome to drop a pm or an email and see what is percolating on the workbench.

The buy and sell section of concertina.net is always worth a daily look.

In the meantime I hope everyone enjoys the pyramid whether looking or dreaming and, oh yes, buyers' inquiries are welcome as well! :D

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

i was visualizing three hundred and sixty-five concertinas as a three-dimentional triangular edifice.... :rolleyes:

But then it wouldn't be a "holiday" or "solstice" pyramid would it? :( Not a sound structural or financial possibility for me. :blink: Have you tried Chris Algar? ;)

Greg

i was visualizing three hundred and sixty-five concertinas as a three-dimentional triangular edifice.... :rolleyes:

But then it wouldn't be a "holiday" or "solstice" pyramid would it? :( Not a sound structural or financial possibility for me. :blink: Have you tried Chris Algar? ;)

Greg

... and only the surface would sell, firstly ...

Here are a couple of less expensive english concertinas. They are Lachenals and have decently responsive brass reeds. (My experience with brass reeds is that they do tend to stay in tune if played within their capabilities. That means in general they have a softer volume than steel reed instruments and should not be expected or forced to play as loud.) While not nearly as responsive as Wheatstone brass reed instruments these two have better than average Lachenal brass reeds and should take a beginner to the intermediate level without hinderance. The bellows are airtight and I have no problems with the air supply. As with all my reconditioned concertinas they will be in tune with new valves and pads and springs and bushings replaced where necessary. 4-fold light mahogany $600. + shipping

The reddish mahogany one with 5-fold bellows is $700. + shipping.

Greg

This is a little "firecracker" of a concertina. 22b with that all important RH c# . In C/G great steel reeds. Quite loud but very responsive. These rosewood models come with 5-fold bellows and not very expansive ones at that but the great, responsive reeds in this instrument don't require a larger air supply, at least not for Irish Trad. The extra notes are: LH push G#; pull Bb RH push c#; pull eb I will bush the fretwork for the buttons before selling $900. + shipping.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

If I'm going to top out the pyamid by Christmas Eve I'd better get cracking. Here is what the pyramid currently looks liKe:

It is is a rosewood Lachenal bone button, steel reed english with 5-fold bellows. $1100. + shipping

This is a wonderful concertina but I may take this one to my grave if I can't find the right buyer. It is one of the best Lachenals I've ever played (and I've seen more than a few). The rub is that it is an Eb/Bb a step and 1/2 above a C/G. Those may be good keys for brass instruments but I'm having trouble convincing the Irish community to play in those keys! Anyway, 40b regular size (6&1/4 across the flats)and a crisp, responsive player that is not too shrill to my ears, with a 7-fold bellows and an aura that says "quality" in all areas. $3000. + shipping

Rounding (pointing?) off the additions to the pyramid is a 48b Lachenal Crane. Bushed metal buttons and a strong, healthy sound $1500+ shipping

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Here is a little beauty dating from the 1850s. Beautiful solid rosewood ends, 5-fold bellows with gold stamping, quality brass reeds and glass buttons. I just got the stamped replacement thumbstraps back from the book binders and was quite surprised by how nicely this one plays. The reeds are quick and the glass buttons are devine to the touch. It is not loud but in a Victorian drawing room that was not expected. The tone is very period and resonant. Did I say she was quick?! Reels are no problem. In standard pitch, Gorgeous, intact bellows papers.

$1350+ shipping.

Well it is Christmas Eve and here are the last two installments of "the 12 concertinas before Christmas". I want to thank all cnet memebers for being patient with my 12 posts in the buy and sell section of concertina.net. The general idea is to celebrate concertinas and let anyone know who is looking for a concertina what I might be able to offer.

Many kudos to Ken and Paul whose condiderable time and effort make this wonderful forum available to concertina lovers everywhere. Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

I've added a 1920s metal end Wheatstone english and a brass rivet reed Wheatstone with a 21XXX serial #. Both play like dreams. I'll get back with specific serial #s and dates. The ME Wheatstone with 6-fold bellows is $2600 + shipping. The brass reed Wheatstone with 4-fold (no problem with air supply to very effecient reeds)is $1700 + shipping.

I have also added 3 "mystery" concertinas to balance the current stacking of the pyramid. You may notice "The twins" and a semi-miniature Ab/Eb piccolo. More on these in the New Year.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I have also added 3 "mystery" concertinas to balance the current stacking of the pyramid. (fial pyramid pic comong)

Well, don't you think you've gone a bit over the top with the final installation? B)

Merry Christmas to you in return - I enjoyed this years's CC (concertina celebration) as much as its predecessors, thank you!

I have also added 3 "mystery" concertinas to balance the current stacking of the pyramid. (fial pyramid pic comong)

Well, don't you think you've gone a bit over the top with the final installation? B)

Merry Christmas to you in return - I enjoyed this years's CC (concertina celebration) as much as its predecessors, thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed! It has been fun for me to gather these concertinas together from storage, workbench, and closet. Kind of like family getting together for the holidays! :) Some I had forgotten about and we had fun while getting reacquainted. Others still have a few aches and pains and occasionally complain. There are also the spritely family members being a bit loud and aggressive and just begging to run circles around the rest. :blink:

Yes, just like some families I know. :rolleyes:

Best,

Greg

is the big metal puppy in the center bottom row part of the sale, or is it there for structural engineering purposes? i'm looking for a loud, bright baritone or tenor, and probly will end up going hybrid given their scarcity, but just wanted to cover every, um, base, here, get it? you know,leave no pyramid keystone unturned?..... :rolleyes: